Future I-57/US 67

Started by bugo, June 14, 2012, 08:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: AHTD on January 22, 2014, 11:08:56 AM
this minute order: http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/Minute_Order_2012-025.pdf   authorizes a study to re-evaluate long term improvement needs for the U.S. Highway 67 Corridor from Walnut Ridge to the Missouri state line. This is a planning study and we anticipate completing it this spring. The final product will discuss feasible alternatives but will not identify a preferred alternative. The latter will be carried out through the NEPA process.

This Feb. 5 article is short on details, but it does suggest MoDOT cooperation with the AHTD study:'

The Northeast Arkansas Regional Intermodal Facilities Authority (NEARIFA) .... At their meeting in Pocahontas, the NEARIFA board members ....
In other business, Corning Mayor Dewayne Phelan added the Missouri Department of Transportation met and one of the items they talked about was extending Highway 67 to the Arkansas state line.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on July 18, 2013, 08:56:08 PM
This July 15 AHTD PowerPoint presentation provides an update and scheduled lettings for the completion of AR 226 from US 67 to US 49 near Jonesboro (page 21/41 of pdf):

This article reports that the previously scheduled April letting for the Cash bypass has been put on hold because of a concern that Highway Trust Fund checks might start bouncing:

Jonesboro Mayor Harold Perrin ....
U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx ....
For the past few years state and federal highway dollars have been converting Arkansas 226 into a 4-lane highway connecting U.S. 67 with Jonesboro – the last link for a long-awaited 4-lane corridor from Northeast Arkansas to Little Rock. The project is down to the last few miles. But Perrin, who usually attends meetings of the Arkansas Highway Commission, had not heard state Highway Director Scott Bennett's announcement that bids for the Cash bypass segment, scheduled for April, will not be advertised. That project was one of 10 put on hold.
Therefore, for at least a while longer Jonesboro will remain Arkansas' largest city not connected to the rest of the state with a 4-lane highway. U.S. 63 is four lanes from Jonesboro to Interstate 55 and from there on to Memphis. It's also known as the "future I-555"  because funding to complete it to interstate standards also remains on hold.
Highway officials have been promising a 4-lane highway to Jonesboro since at least the early 1990s, but for many years a major share of new highway funding was channeled to Northwest Arkansas to complete Interstate 540.
Gov. Mike Beebe, an Arkansas State University graduate, pledged to work toward completing the 226 project before he left office. That wasn't going to happen, even if the Cash bypass segment had been contracted in April. When it comes to highway monies, especially on the federal level, a governor has limited clout even on the state level, where the Highway Commission is independent ....
Foxx has warned that the Highway Trust Fund will be "bouncing checks"  starting this summer unless Congress passes a funding solution. That's why Arkansas highway officials decided to delay the April bidding process. Perrin told a reporter that if the projects were bid and the Federal Highway Administration didn't provide reimbursement, the state department could be down to $6 million to operate statewide for the rest of the year.

NE2

Quote from: Grzrd on March 19, 2014, 02:55:38 PM
Foxx has warned that the Highway Trust Fund will be "bouncing checks"  starting this summer unless Congress passes a funding solution.
That's what AHTD gets for bypassing Cash.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

AHTD

That's right!

We pulled 10 federally-funded projects totaling $60 million from our April bid letting. You can read about it here:

http://www.arkansashighways.com/news/2014/NR%2014-062.pdf

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

rte66man

Quote from: NE2 on March 19, 2014, 03:16:52 PM
Foxx has warned that the Highway Trust Fund will be "bouncing checks"  starting this summer unless Congress passes a funding solution.

<pulls out figurative gun and SHOOTS holes in that groaner>
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on March 19, 2014, 03:16:52 PM

I guess they should've used the plastic instead?  :spin:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on February 11, 2014, 01:01:18 PM
Quote from: AHTD on January 22, 2014, 11:08:56 AM
this minute order: http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/Minute_Order_2012-025.pdf   authorizes a study to re-evaluate long term improvement needs for the U.S. Highway 67 Corridor from Walnut Ridge to the Missouri state line. This is a planning study and we anticipate completing it this spring. The final product will discuss feasible alternatives but will not identify a preferred alternative. The latter will be carried out through the NEPA process.
This Feb. 5 article is short on details, but it does suggest MoDOT cooperation with the AHTD study:'
Corning Mayor Dewayne Phelan added the Missouri Department of Transportation met and one of the items they talked about was extending Highway 67 to the Arkansas state line.

This June 12 article reports that four-laning US 67 from Poplar Bluff to the Arkansas state line is one of the Missouri transportation sales tax projects on the recently released draft list:

"Over the past several years, the regional planning commission has partnered with MODOT, to determine what Ozark Foothills residents would like to see in their transportation system,"  said Felicity Brady of the Ozark Foothills Regional Planning Commission. "Consistently, we have heard improving safety by upgrading one lane bridges and promoting connectivity by adding four-lanes to the last section of Route 67 in Poplar Bluff to the Arkansas state line. These are two of the regionally significant projects we have worked to incorporate into the draft list."  
The most recent list of Missouri projects compiled by the OFRPC Transportation Advisory Committee at an April 17, 2014, meeting were: ....
3. [f]our lane Highway 67 South to state line in Butler County

MoDOT's Southeast Region Draft List speaks in terms of "adding lanes":

Add lanes on Rte 67 from Rte 160 to Missouri state line

I'm guessing that MoDOT means a four-lane upgrade instead of merely adding passing lanes.

AHTD

Word from the MoDOT District Engineer is that it will be a four-lane expressway similar to the rest of the corridor to the north.

That stated, we are in the process of completing the "new" U.S. 67 study that will present several alternatives to meet them at the state line. The draft of this study is being circulated internally for review and in the coming months will be finalized. Public meetings will be held to present those findings.

We used the term "new" U.S. 67 study because when Missouri indicated they couldn't meet us at the line with a four-lane facility, we went back to the drawing board.

Pretty exciting stuff!
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

robbones

When is the swifton - hoxie section planned to be completed?

BLU STAR4.0

bjrush

Quote from: AHTD on June 17, 2014, 10:38:19 PM
Word from the MoDOT District Engineer is that it will be a four-lane expressway similar to the rest of the corridor to the north.

That stated, we are in the process of completing the "new" U.S. 67 study that will present several alternatives to meet them at the state line. The draft of this study is being circulated internally for review and in the coming months will be finalized. Public meetings will be held to present those findings.

We used the term "new" U.S. 67 study because when Missouri indicated they couldn't meet us at the line with a four-lane facility, we went back to the drawing board.

Pretty exciting stuff!

Is this an in house evaluation or is a consultant doing it?
Woo Pig Sooie

Road Hog

So how is the future I-57 coming along these days? :poke:

amroad17

Somebody's poking the bear!  :nod:

Seriously, I also believe that if this corridor receives an interstate designation, it should be I-57 since the freeway would go more north-south than east-west.  However, it would be fine just as US 67.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

bugo

It has been referred to as Future I-30 for years by AHTD and I would be willing to bet that is what the final number will be.

Anthony_JK

Considering that the present plans are for merely a 5-lane arterial rather than a full freeway, it may not be Future anything for quite a long time. Personally, if you ask me, if it is upgraded to freeway, it should be I-53, extended to the Avenue of the Saints corridor.

bugo

It would be silly for it to be a freeway all the way from North Little Rock to Sikeston with a gap between Walnut Ridge and Poplar Bluff.  Even if they build the "Arkansas freeway" I expect a new terrain freeway to be eventually built.

MSU John

Quote from: amroad17 on June 22, 2014, 04:13:16 AM

Seriously, I also believe that if this corridor receives an interstate designation, it should be I-57 since the freeway would go more north-south than east-west.  However, it would be fine just as US 67.

I agree. Plus, it would be strange to have I-30 cross north of I-40 and continue north(east).

roadman65

Quote from: MSU John on June 23, 2014, 01:58:14 PM

I agree. Plus, it would be strange to have I-30 cross north of I-40 and continue north(east).
You have I-75 and I-85 at Atlanta where I-75 is WEST of I-75 and then terminating at I-65.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US 41

I don't think Missouri is going to make their part interstate quality. Missouri is going to most likely just multilane US 67. I-30 will most likely be the designation. Arkansas should just sign it as I-30 now. What are they waiting on?
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

MSU John

Quote from: roadman65 on June 23, 2014, 02:23:18 PM

You have I-75 and I-85 at Atlanta where I-75 is WEST of I-75 and then terminating at I-65.

That's very true. And now that I think about it, I-57 would be west of I-55.   :hmmm:

amroad17

You have I-75 and I-85 at Atlanta where I-85 is WEST of I-75 and then terminating at I-65.
FIFY.

Because of the current way the interstate system is set up, there are going to be instances where numbers will "cross over."
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Revive 755

^ But there's an easy fix here:  Number it as I-53 instead, with the intent to extend the designation further north up US 67 in Missouri as the corridor is upgraded, and maybe up the Avenue of the Saints Corridor in the far future.

hbelkins

Quote from: bugo on June 22, 2014, 10:07:23 PM
It would be silly for it to be a freeway all the way from North Little Rock to Sikeston with a gap between Walnut Ridge and Poplar Bluff.  Even if they build the "Arkansas freeway" I expect a new terrain freeway to be eventually built.

US 60 isn't full freeway between Poplar Bluff and Sikeston.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

codyg1985

Quote from: hbelkins on June 23, 2014, 10:35:29 PM
Quote from: bugo on June 22, 2014, 10:07:23 PM

US 60 isn't full freeway between Poplar Bluff and Sikeston.

It probably wouldn't take much for MoDOT to upgrade it to a full freeway through there, though. The big question is what will be built between Walnut Ridge and Poplar Bluff. It sounds more and more like either an expressway or a five-lane "Arkansas Freeway." IMO if they are going to spend the money to build an interstate-quality road all the way from North Little Rock to Walnut Ridge, AHTD should at least finish the job up to Missouri.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

english si

Surely US412 is so numbered because it is planned to upgrade it?

Going on 412 across the Bootheel of Missouri is the same distance between Cairo and Little Rock as going via Poplar Bluff, but the route makes more sense from a national perspective, and from an AR perspective, given it would link to I-69.

With this sort of routing, AR could take I-30 via Jonesboro, rather than Walnut Ridge.

Henry

Quote from: MSU John on June 23, 2014, 05:01:43 PM

That's very true. And now that I think about it, I-57 would be west of I-55.   :hmmm:
Don't forget that north of Cincinnati, I-71 is east of I-75. Why that didn't get I-73 instead is beyond me, but I guess it was better off reserved for future use somewhere else (NC for one).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.