News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Staten Island, NY

Started by Mergingtraffic, February 05, 2015, 06:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

It's a stretch.  The Brooklyn Bridge was built to connect the streets of the downtowns of Brooklyn and New York.  The highways under it are johnnies-come-lately and incidental to its primary role.  A much better example for you in the area is FDR to BQE via the Battery Tunnel.

roadman65

It is deafacto connection, I will say, as the Brooklyn Bridge because of its nature has to be a freeway. 

Yes the signals on West Street between the FDR and Battery Tunnel entrance do also make a Breezewood as you point out.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 19, 2015, 10:11:14 AM

Quote from: Zeffy on February 19, 2015, 10:02:36 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 19, 2015, 09:16:04 AM
Not in Staten Island, but is this famous sign still in Bay Ridge?

What street is that on? Bay Ridge is one of the areas I visit when I'm in Brooklyn, but I can't tell where that sign is.

I have no idea.  It gets a brief flash a couple of times in the movie Saturday Night Fever.  This screenshot is just something I found on a non-roads website

Long gone, unfortunately. Here's what is in its place.

roadman65

I was noticing that Hylan Boulevard is actually not the main road immediately south of I-278.  It actually defaults onto Stuben Street for a short distance as Hyland Boulevard proper heads to the east if you head SB. 

Going the other way you have to turn left onto Stubing, but Hylan proper will end at the I-278 service road where you have to use Olga Place to continue on it as it is a RIRO on the EB Service Road.

I am surprised that Stuben Place is not Hylan Boulevard and the other section of Hylan not the principal arterial is not called Old Hylan Boulevard.  I am guessing that before the Staten Island Expressway was built Hylan Boulevard was one continuous roadway from end to end is why you have to deviate from it at present time.

Sheryl Crowe

Duke87

Quote from: roadman65 on March 06, 2015, 12:57:55 AM
I am surprised that Stuben Place is not Hylan Boulevard and the other section of Hylan not the principal arterial is not called Old Hylan Boulevard.  I am guessing that before the Staten Island Expressway was built Hylan Boulevard was one continuous roadway from end to end is why you have to deviate from it at present time.

Why is this surprising? Both streets existed before there was such a thing as cars. Changing the names would mean changing the addresses around, creating headaches for the post office and all the people in the buildings whose addresses changed, for what gain? Okay, so the fact that you want to make a left on Steuben to get to the bridge or the SIE ought to be signed (it isn't, currently), but that doesn't require changing any street names.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

roadman65

Actually we do it in Florida all the time. Part of International Drive became World Center Drive where the Caribe Royal Hotel did have to get a new address number.  In fact we change names of streets when alignments change all the time except the northern end of Goldenrod Road where FL 551 becomes Palmetto Avenue.  Anyway in that case the road is still there in whole.

I just thought that that set up is real strange that in one arterial you go from Hylan to Stueben and back to Hylan.  I am sure ignorant non road geeks think of Steuben as Hylan anyway just like in New Jersey many people think of Rahway Avenue in Elizabeth as being part of St. George Avenue because the both are NJ 27.

When I mean surprising I do not mean total campaign of trying to get a name change.  You won't see me leading a charge into NYC City Hall to get a name change nor do I intend too.  I just thought that they should have done that years ago and the fact that it is that even Hylan gets severed at Narrows Road. 

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.