News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Songs that mention other songs in them

Started by roadman65, March 06, 2015, 12:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Steve Miller's The Joker mentions the name Space Cowboy which incidentally is the title of another one of his songs.  Then the other song Space Cowboys mentions "I talked about living in the USA" which is another song by him called Living In The USA.

I doubt that we have one song mentioning another song that mentions another song, but I am sure we have one song that mentions another one either directly or indirectly.

Anybody have such discoveries.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

The Nature Boy

"All Summer Long" by Kid Rock mentions "Sweet Home Alabama" which mentions "Southern Man" by Neil Young.

roadman65

Quote from: The Nature Boy on March 06, 2015, 12:28:55 AM
"All Summer Long" by Kid Rock mentions "Sweet Home Alabama" which mentions "Southern Man" by Neil Young.
That one is a really good find.  Especially that the Sweet Home Alabama song even mentions Southern Man in it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Pete from Boston

When you get to "Songs That Mention Same Artist's Other Albums In Them," just cut and paste "You Better You Bet" into it.  Until then I got nothin'.

Except Kid Rock doing a whole song about "Sweet Home Alabama" using "Werewolves of London" to drive the point home.

EDIT: I didn't read the previous post. Sorry.

TheHighwayMan3561

My favorite song, "Your Move" by Yes references two John Lennon songs: Instant Karma and Give Peace A Chance.

What's funny is that Alan White who played drums on Lennon's Imagine album would later join Yes in 1972-73 and has been there ever since.

"Glass Onion" by the Beatles references The Fool On The Hill, Strawberry Fields Forever, I Am The Walrus, Lady Madonna, and Fixing A Hole.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

The Traveling Wilburys' "Tweeter and the Monkey Man" is a Springsteen parody in which Bob Dylan mentions the names of a bunch of Springsteen songs, including (but not necessarily limited to) "Thunder Road," "Lion's Den," and "Mansion on the Hill"; he also mentions a Tom Waits song, "Jersey Girl," that's probably best-known as the final track on Springsteen's 5-LP 1986 live album. (Dylan also manages to anticipate the outcome of 1992's "57 Channels (and Nothin' On)" in the final verse when he says "the TV set was blown up, every bit of it was gone." Of course, that song wasn't yet released when the Wilburys' album came out.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brian556

Brad Paisley's 'Old Alabama" mentions several of Alabama's songs.

1995hoo

Listening to the radio just reminded me that "All You Need Is Love" contains the lyrics from (and, obviously, the name of) "She Loves You" during the extended coda.

Pete from Boston

"And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" by Eric Bogle and later so many others.

ethanhopkin14

"Hey Soul Sister" by Train mentions "Sister, Sister"

PHLBOS

Johnny Rivers' Summer Rain makes reference to Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band in the chorus.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

1995hoo

Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 06, 2015, 09:47:38 AM
"And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" by Eric Bogle and later so many others.

"I Could'a Been a Contender" by the Gaslight Anthem potentially does too, though it's not necessarily a song reference per se: "We used to drive all night/All over town./We'd go waltzing Matilda/When Matilda came around."

Brian556

Night Shift by the Commodores mentions Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' on", and Jackie Wilson's "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher".  [

ethanhopkin14

"American Pie"  references lots of songs (" A White Sport Coat and a Pink Carnation" , "Jesus Loves Me" , "8 Miles High" , "Helter Skelter"  (not sure if Charles Manson or the song), "Jummpin' Jack Flash" , and That'll be the Day" ) but I am not sure it counts since Don McLean is not very forthcoming on whether or not those references are correct.

ethanhopkin14

At the end of Van Morrison's "Real, Real Gone"  he mentions "The Midnight Hour" , "If You Need Me" , "Try Me"  and "Rainbow" .

kurumi

Scatterbrain's "Down with the Ship" has no lyrical callouts, but "borrows" hooks from many well-known songs. The video screams "late 80s" (scantily clad chicks in mommy jeans gyrating, etc.). The song actually made it onto alternative commercial radio back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXBrLMeDCyQ

The end of April Wine's "I Like to Rock" mashes up "Day Tripper" and "Satisfaction":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is5nw7G2rIw

(I know musical refs, sampling, etc. is a huge rabbit hole, but some of the examples are interesting)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Henry

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on March 06, 2015, 10:32:52 AM
"Hey Soul Sister" by Train mentions "Sister, Sister"
And also Like a Virgin, as well as Madonna who performed that 80s hit.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

golden eagle

Jimmy Eat World's "A Praise Chorus" mentions "Crimson & Clover", "Our House" and "Rock N' Roll Fantasy".

Pete from Boston

The Dictators' line-in-the-sand "Who Will Save Rock And Roll?" takes a swipe at the song and album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and the overblown rock that followed it:

"June 1st 67, something died and went to heaven
I wish Sgt. Pepper
NEVER taught the band to play!"

kendancy66

Ten Years After song I'm Going Home references Whole Lot of shakin' goin on. Also lryics  references to other blues songs

Pete from Boston

They played Nick Lowe's "I Love the Sound of Breaking Glass" this morning on the radio (along with the DJ's inspired, seamless segue into David Bowie's "Sound & Vision"–Pandora can suck it) and I though of this thread, since the song is a nod back at Bowie's "Breaking Glass" from the year before.

mrsman

Bobby Darin's "Splish Splash" has the following line:

"There was Lollipop with-a Peggy Sue
Good Golly, Miss Molly" was-a even there, too!"

"Lollipop" by the Chordettes
"Peggy Sue" by Buddy Holly
"Good Golly, Miss Molly" by Little Richard

english si

Dream Theater's Octavarium has a movement that is an homage to Prog Rock. While most of the references overlap, and some aren't titles, but quotes or allusions. And there's a ton of band names and artists and so on that fill in the gaps.

I've bolded the titles. Note that some overlap, or follow directly on. There's 16 titles in there.
QuoteSailing on the seven seas the day tripper diem's ready
Jack the ripper Owens Wilson Phillips and my supper's ready
Lucy in the sky with diamond Dave's not here I come to save the
Day for nightmare cinema show me the way to get back home again

Flying off the handle be careful with
That axe Eugene gene the dance machine
Messiah light my fire
gabba gabba
Hey hey my my generation's home again

Darkchylde

Probably one few of you have heard of, but the first thing I thought of seeing this topic: "Silence" by Theatre of Tragedy. In the second verse, there's this line:

"In the flickerlight we're interlaced and face to face"

"Flickerlight" was one of their songs from a previous album.

jp the roadgeek

Cross Eyed Mary by Jethro Tull references Aqualung, a character/song/album that they previously did. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.