News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Driving conditions in Southwest mid -Autumn

Started by pctech, July 02, 2012, 12:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pctech

I'm considering driving from Baton Rouge La to Fresno CA and returning late Oct./early Nov. It looks like heading to north Tx. then heading west on I-40(thru NM. & AZ.), then to into the central valley of Ca. may be the best route. What are the driving conditions along this route during this time of year? Any danger of ice/snow in high elevations?

Mark

agentsteel53

I-40 and CA-58 are gonna be the roads with mountains which you are likely to take.  both are major corridors which are kept open as often as possible. 

check with locals before heading across a pass - spending the night on the east side of one could turn out to be prudent.  more than a several-hour delay would be unusual.

but, again, we're not talking about some obscure mountain roads which will turn you into the Donner Party! 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

myosh_tino

I've driven on CA-58 over the Tehachapi Pass during that time of year for the past 7 years or so and I have never encountered any snow on the highway although I have seen snow on the mountain tops.  That doesn't mean it can't happen so I'd keep an eye on the weather forecast in Tehachapi in the days before you drive over the mountains.

IMO, the climate is still too warm in late October/early November for there to be any significant snowfall on CA-58.  January/February is a whole different story!
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

agentsteel53

Quote from: myosh_tino on July 02, 2012, 02:51:51 PM
I've driven on CA-58 over the Tehachapi Pass during that time of year for the past 7 years or so and I have never encountered any snow on the highway although I have seen snow on the mountain tops.  That doesn't mean it can't happen so I'd keep an eye on the weather forecast in Tehachapi in the days before you drive over the mountains.

I had it happen to me in March, 2011.  could look up the exact date if needed.  didn't realize it was that rare.

jake@aaroads.com

blawp

It's snowed in late October on CA 58 before.

myosh_tino

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 02, 2012, 03:26:23 PM
Quote from: myosh_tino on July 02, 2012, 02:51:51 PM

I had it happen to me in March, 2011.  could look up the exact date if needed.  didn't realize it was that rare.
Perhaps I should clarify. I am talking about conditions on CA-58 during the time period the OP mentioned in his post (late October/early November).  I think because we would coming out of "Indian Summer" (hot weather from September to mid October... not sure why we call it "Indian Summer" though), the climate would be a little too warm for snow over the Tehachapi's.

I agree with you that between December and March, conditions on CA-58 can get dicey as snowfall on the highway is not such a rare occurrence.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

agentsteel53

oh, I misread.  I was thinking "really? snow is rare in the Tehachapis?  I'll be damned..."

jake@aaroads.com

The High Plains Traveler

I would never say "never", but you are unlikely to encounter significant winter driving conditions along I-40 before mid-November. Of that route, the largest risk I would estimate is within 50 miles each direction of Flagstaff, then between Gallup and Grants, and then on the plains east of Clines Corners. Each of these areas is a place where you reach 7000 feet in elevation. I would be cognizant of forecasts and avoid the highway if there is a potential for winter weather. You could take I-10, which is much lower and further south, but way less scenic.

I say this having taken a late October trip to New Mexico and Colorado when I lived in Minnesota, crossing Wolf Creek Pass in a blizzard, and being stranded two days in Denver. The area you are discussing, I think, did not experience this degree of winter weather during that event.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.