News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Seattle-area and Washington photos

Started by Bruce, May 21, 2014, 06:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignGeek101

Quote from: Bruce on July 21, 2015, 07:48:49 PM
A year ago this month, I traveled up and down the I-5 corridor in North Seattle to capture it on my camera, en route to a World Cup viewing party. This time around (with significantly less snow on Mount Rainier), I've returned with my DSLR to do the same!

Line of buses on I-5 southbound by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-5 looking north from NE 92nd Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Are there not bus only lanes on I-5?

Where I used to live, they used to be on the right side of the road, and would not get into any (daily) traffic jams:

https://goo.gl/maps/n0cs5

Bruce

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 21, 2015, 07:54:54 PM
A year ago this month, I traveled up and down the I-5 corridor in North Seattle to capture it on my camera, en route to a World Cup viewing party. This time around (with significantly less snow on Mount Rainier), I've returned with my DSLR to do the same!

Where I used to live, they used to be on the right side of the road, and would not get into any (daily) traffic jams:

We only have HOV lanes. These pictures are taken south of where the HOV lanes end (and transition into our reversible express lanes, which are flowing smoothly in the peak direction [north out of the city into the suburbs for PM rush]). The buses in these pictures are almost all going from bus bases (garages or yards) to start their commuter routes.

Seattle does have some bus lanes, though they're not always obeyed (especially by Microsoft's corporate shuttles):

Microsoft Connector breaking traffic law in U District by SounderBruce, on Flickr

We also have a tunnel downtown that is shared between buses and light rail trains, which counts as a bus lane (though a very expensive but reliable one).

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Bruce on July 21, 2015, 09:21:38 PM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 21, 2015, 07:54:54 PM

We only have HOV lanes. These pictures are taken south of where the HOV lanes end (and transition into our reversible express lanes, which are flowing smoothly in the peak direction [north out of the city into the suburbs for PM rush]). The buses in these pictures are almost all going from bus bases (garages or yards) to start their commuter routes.

Seattle does have some bus lanes, though they're not always obeyed (especially by Microsoft's corporate shuttles):

Microsoft Connector breaking traffic law in U District by SounderBruce, on Flickr

We also have a tunnel downtown that is shared between buses and light rail trains, which counts as a bus lane (though a very expensive but reliable one).

I always remembered seeing the Bus lane on SR-99 on GSV as very interesting. https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.580117,-122.339284,3a,20.2y,11.51h,94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVn1xLyZUbY3SG3Urc7coQA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Let's quote long posts like it's Alanland all over again.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

jakeroot

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 22, 2015, 11:19:54 AM
I always remembered seeing the Bus lane on SR-99 on GSV as very interesting.

Off surface streets, that's probably the most prominent bus lane. They should paint the whole thing red, just for fun.

I can and can't do that.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: jakeroot on July 22, 2015, 01:41:06 PM

I can and can't do that.

I don't think the moderators would be happy about that.  :ded:
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Bruce

I always remembered seeing the Bus lane on SR-99 on GSV as very interesting. https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.580117,-122.339284,3a,20.2y,11.51h,94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVn1xLyZUbY3SG3Urc7coQA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It's basically a continuation of the bus lane over the West Seattle Bridge: https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.571136,-122.344779,3a,75y,91.5h,87.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXXTY67TJMLAQiiHIXG4JaA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Both are used by inbound buses from West Seattle (mainly RapidRide's C-Line and route 120).

Bruce

Zeffy

All of the photos are really cool, especially the ones inside Milepost 31, but that last one is exquisite.  :clap:
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Bruce

Quote from: Zeffy on July 26, 2015, 10:03:55 PM
All of the photos are really cool, especially the ones inside Milepost 31, but that last one is exquisite.  :clap:

Thanks!

I really lucked out with the last one. I waited for an hour at the nearby Coast Guard base (which has a pretty neat little museum with free admission) for the clouds to hopefully clear up.

Bruce

Southwest Snohomish County forms the core of Seattle's northern suburbs, where the growth of suburban sprawl continues to explode. The I-5 corridor in particular has filled out with retail (centered around Alderwood Mall, not pictured in this set) and will see light rail service beginning in 2023. It features an elaborate HOV system for buses and carpoolers, with 3 direct access ramps and several of the state's largest park-and-ride lots.

236th Street SW (Mountlake Terrace Freeway Station)

I-5 southbound from Mountlake Terrace TC by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Mountlake Terrace Freeway Station panorama by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-5 southbound entering King County by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Mountlake Terrace Freeway Station from 236th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-5 southbound looking north from 236th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

STEX 9587C deadheading in Mountlake Terrace by SounderBruce, on Flickr

164th Street SW

This interchange, once the southern terminus of SR 525, features a half-completed HOV direct access ramp. The north side of the ramp (which serves Ash Way Park and Ride) has been the subject of a few small proposals over the years since it forces buses to/from Everett on ST Express route 512 to loop around the interchange.

I-5 southbound from 164th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-5 southbound from 164th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

CT 10800 passing CT 24409 near Ash Way P&R by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-5 northbound from 164th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

128th Street SW

I-5 northbound from 128th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-5 northbound from 128th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-5 southbound looking north from 128th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-5 southbound from 128th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Interurban Trail northbound from 128th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

SR 525 at 164th Street SW

SR 525 southbound from 164th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

SR 525 northbound from 164th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

SR 525 northbound from 164th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

164th Street from Swamp Creek P&R by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Bruce

JakeFromNewEngland

The Seattle area is definitely beautiful. Hopefully I can get out there sometime in my life!

Bruce

The shortest and newest Interstate highway in Washington state, this tiny spur connects Tacoma to Interstate 5 on what some call a "glorified offramp".

E 25th Street

I-705 crossing over E 25th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-705 crossing over E 25th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Bridge of Glass

Native Tacoman and glass artist Dale Chihuly was commissioned to create a permanent museum for his medium of work in the 1990s. To connect the Museum of Glass to the rest of Tacoma's downtown, the city built an overpass over I-705 that is decorated with Chihuly works. It's worth the short walk from the nearby Union Station light rail stop.

I-705 northbound from Bridge of Glass by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-705 southbound from Bridge of Glass by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Tacoma skyline from Bridge of Glass by SounderBruce, on Flickr

S 11th Street

I-705 southbound from S 11th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I-705 northbound from S 11th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on August 11, 2015, 05:05:51 PM
The shortest and newest Interstate highway in Washington state, this tiny spur connects Tacoma to Interstate 5 on what some call a "glorified offramp".

I use I-705 on a daily basis, and it's always reminded me of I-90 across Mercer Island, particularly in regards to the state of the road (pavement quality), but more so in regards to the vegetation. There's tons of plants all up and down the freeway, vines growing over the barriers, etc. It's very pretty. Must have been a WSDOT-thing back in the 90s to make freeways as "green" as possible.

I suppose they also look similar because they were both built in late 80s/early 90s.

Bruce

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on September 23, 2015, 05:48:41 PM
All taken on September 15. All three are views looking south from two of Seattle's hills, one very famous and two under-appreciated (though one is a bridge and not a park...).

https://flic.kr/p/yE8KYf
https://flic.kr/p/yCHqKy

Wow, this city is growing fast. Lots of construction in those first couple images, Bruce.

By the way, as stated previously, excellent photos.

Bruce

Tacoma often plays the role of second- or third-wheel to its larger, more affluent and more well-known brother to the north, Seattle. Nonetheless, this town as once the larger of the two, benefiting from its status as terminus of the Northern Pacific Railway, and is also featured in the name of the region's airport, Seattle-Tacoma (Sea-Tac) International Airport, because of its contribution to the airport's construction in the 1940s.

There is a modest skyline that is not easily seen from most directions. The city's downtown itself is very small, very walkable, and a pretty pleasant experience. Just don't smell the air.

McKinley Park

In view of the Tacoma Dome, a stadium sporting one of the largest wooden domes on such a venue, this freeway overpass gets the skyline of Tacoma along with the East 21st Street cable-stayed bridge and the Tacoma Dome. Would highly recommend walking up from the Tacoma Dome transit hub to see tihs.

Tacoma skyline from McKinley Way by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Tacoma skyline from McKinley Way by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Tacoma skyline and the Tacoma Dome from McKinley Way by SounderBruce, on Flickr

East 34th Street Bridge

The NRHP-listed East 34th Street Bridge is a concrete open-spandrel bridge that was built in 1937 over a gulch that would later be used by a railroad and a freeway segment of State Route 7 as it approaches Interstates 5 and 705.

Tacoma skyline from E 34th Street by SounderBruce, on Flickr

D & Dock

To the north of the aforementioned Tacoma Dome is a small crossing over the Tacoma railyard that provides a great view of the East 21st Street Bridge as well as the Tacoma Dome.

Tacoma skyline and East 21st Street Bridge from E D St & Dock St by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Tacoma Dome from E D St & Dock St by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Bridge of Glass

The Bridge of Glass is a pedestrian bridge over I-705 on the back side of the Union Station courthouse/office complex, decorated with the works of glass sculptor Dale Chihuly, a native son of Tacoma.

Tacoma skyline from Bridge of Glass by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Tacoma skyline panorama from Bridge of Glass by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Tacoma skyline panorama from Bridge of Glass by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Court D & 11th Parking Garage

A view within downtown, which slopes downhill east towards the Thea Foss Waterway, featuring a view of Mount Tahoma Rainier looming ominously in the distance.

Tacoma skyline from Court D & 11th by SounderBruce, on Flickr

jakeroot

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on September 26, 2015, 11:20:02 PM
Quote from: Bruce on September 26, 2015, 10:50:14 PM
Just don't smell the air.

Even the smelly part of Everett (the Snohomish River delta) smells nicer, and they're right next to a sewage plant. Tacoma really can't shake the stigma.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on September 27, 2015, 01:13:32 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 26, 2015, 11:20:02 PM
Quote from: Bruce on September 26, 2015, 10:50:14 PM
Just don't smell the air.

http://i.imgur.com/kThan.gif

Even the smelly part of Everett (the Snohomish River delta) smells nicer, and they're right next to a sewage plant. Tacoma really can't shake the stigma.

I just don't smell it at all (except once in a blue moon). I must be used to it.

Bruce

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on December 17, 2016, 01:28:00 AM
It's been a while. Here's a few shots from the last few weeks:

Gold Line leaving Downtown Los Angeles

This one seems like a stretch.

:bigass:

Plutonic Panda

Thank you for the photos man. They're amazing and thank you for actually posting pictures and not links.

intelati49

:-o

Okay, this may be my favorite picture thread right now. Some of these are gorgeous. Thank you Bruce :clap:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.