When did the Kennedy Space Center re route motorists from Gate 2?

Started by roadman65, May 01, 2011, 12:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I noticed that you can no longer use old FL 3 (South Kennedy Parkway) inside the Kennedy Space Center Visitor's Center from Gate 2 coming in from Merrit Island on FL 3.  You are now turned off once around the KSC property line at a manned gate, and have to use a new road that parallels Kennedy Parkway to the west and terminates at NASA Parkway (FL 405 continuation).  Then you turn right onto NASA Parkway and arrive at the Visitor's area just like those from Gate 3 in Titusville arrive.  There now is a security gate located east of the Visitor's complex stopping you from going further east as you were once allowed to go to Kennedy Parkway to turn south for Merrit Island and FL 3.

Kennedy Parkway and NASA Parkway interchange with a diamond interchange with NASA Parkway free flowing and the other with stoplights at the ramps leading down as NASA Pkwy. crosses over Kennedy.  There were checkpoints north and east of here originally and allowed public access between E-S and N-W.  I had no idea of the change until I did a google street view of this.  Back in 97 I know it was the old way, but have not been there since.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

realjd

So to drive from the office complex (east of the diamond interchange) to the VAB, orbiter processing facility, and launchpads (north of the interchange), workers had to exit and then re-clear security in the past? That sounds obnoxious. I'll bet they moved the checkpoints for this reason.

I don't know about KSC specifically, but after 9/11, security at military bases increased. Previously you could just drive on to some military bases with a vehicle pass. Now they do 100% ID checks. If KSC was like that, it makes sense that they wouldn't want to make people re-clear security to access different parts of the property.

I've been wondering how on earth the Google StreetView cars were able to get access to KSC!

DeaconG

The guard shacks on the other side of the interchange in both directions-north on Kennedy and east on NASA Causeway-made for some ugly backups between 6 and 8 in the morning-and I do mean ugly.  It allowed them to manage the backups better as well as simplify security.

The bypass road is Space Commerce Way-part of the road used to be S-Band Road.  When you head south of Space Commerce Way you can see where I work (until July 28, anyway).

As part of the change they also relocated the badging facility form Gate 3 and moved it next to the Visitor Center.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.