News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Song medleys that some radio stations purposely leave out or cut parts out

Started by roadman65, February 01, 2012, 07:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

What about that one song that came out about five years ago that sounds like f**in yellow even though it is not, but I am sure, or it would not surprise me if, that the artist or songwriter really wanted that to be f**in mellow, but used this to get around censorship.

Then pass the dutchie, where we used to make a parody on it by replacing dutchie with the common name for the female anatomy, makes me wonder if that song was to be purposely created so the young perverted minds at the time would come up with such a parody.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bandit957

Quote from: golden eagle on October 18, 2014, 01:05:42 PM
There was a station in Georgia that played a "cleaner" version of "I Wanna Sex You Up" by Color Me Badd. Theirs was "I Wanna Love You Up".

I heard this version once on a road trip in northwestern Florida in 1991. The station I heard it on was WJLQ Pensacola.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Brian556

quote from roadman 65:
QuoteThen pass the dutchie, where we used to make a parody on it by replacing dutchie with the common name for the female anatomy, makes me wonder if that song was to be purposely created so the young perverted minds at the time would come up with such a parody.

My understanding is that this song was about marijuana use. I doubt it had anything to do with anatomy.

hbelkins

Quote from: texaskdog on October 18, 2014, 01:08:24 PM
Hope I'm not repeating a post but "Cum On Feel The Noize, Girls Rock your boys".  The 2nd line said "Girls, F*ck your boys"  but since it sounded a lot like Rock it slides by every time.

No, it really is "rock."

Quote from: texaskdog on October 18, 2014, 01:10:55 PMSome more well-known songs which received this treatment included "Kodachrome" by Paul Simon, "Roxanne" by The Police,

Why? What was in those two songs?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on October 18, 2014, 09:41:41 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on October 18, 2014, 01:08:24 PM
Hope I'm not repeating a post but "Cum On Feel The Noize, Girls Rock your boys".  The 2nd line said "Girls, F*ck your boys"  but since it sounded a lot like Rock it slides by every time.

No, it really is "rock."

Quote from: texaskdog on October 18, 2014, 01:10:55 PMSome more well-known songs which received this treatment included "Kodachrome" by Paul Simon, "Roxanne" by The Police,

Why? What was in those two songs?

"Kodachrome" had the word "crap."

bandit957

Back when I was about 9 or 10, I used to think I was a comedic genius because whenever "Roxanne" came on the radio, I'd sing, "You don't have to put on the stop sign..."

bandit957

Another funny thing I did when I was about 10. Any time a song had a title or lyrics with a word that rhymed with the name of a 'Sesame Street' character, I'd change the lyrics accordingly. For example, "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" by Culture Club became "Do You Really Want To Bert Me".

"Almost Over You" by Sheena Easton became "Almost Grover You". The line about "paintin' the town" became "number paintin' the town", because of the Number Painter on 'Sesame Street'.

Also the line in "Puttin' On The Ritz" that said "Tryin' hard to look like Gary Cooper" became "Tryin' hard to look like Mr. Hooper."

roadman65

Oh yes now I remember the Culture Club and the androgynous Boy George where everyone questioned his gender at the time Do Your Really Want To Hurt Me came out.

Now since, Boy George cut his long hair despite since then he admitted to his sexuality, but another story.  Anyway, memories are coming back talking about this short lived video music age.

Sheryl Crowe

jp the roadgeek

One song you never ever hear on the radio is Star Star by the Rolling Stones.  Many people refer to it by the line that prevents its airplay (Starf***er), plus it has an overt reference to a female body part.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

1995hoo

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 19, 2014, 11:46:06 PM
One song you never ever hear on the radio is Star Star by the Rolling Stones.  Many people refer to it by the line that prevents its airplay (Starf***er), plus it has an overt reference to a female body part.

The Stones themselves call it "Starfucker" because that was to be the song's name until the record company refused to release it under that title.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

freebrickproductions

Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi often has a portion of the intro cut out on it.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

roadman65

I heard an old song that I never knew existed as the Rolling Stones covered it back in the 80s when they came out with their first new age rock songs on Undercover of the Night. 

It was the original Going To A Go Go, as when I heard it I remembered now how I wish they could have cut any parts of that song out when it was out.

Like I said in another thread,  I had some time getting used to the 80's change that took place from 83 to 85, and Undercover of the Night was the Stones first album of theirs with the new direction of Rock for the era.

Sheryl Crowe

OracleUsr

Quote from: tchafe1978 on February 01, 2012, 09:09:51 PM
Two songs that I think should be played together but aren't all the time, is Def Leppard's Bringin' on the Heartbreak and Switch 625. The second song is completely instrumental, but the first leads right into the second, with no break. I used to hear them played together all the time, but rarely anymore.

On another slightly related note, Mariah Carey's cover of Bringin' on the Heartbreak is one that should have never been done, and every copy of it should be blown up in a re-enactment of the Disco Night at old Comiskey Park. That's gotta be one of the worst covers ever.

Switch 625 was one of my fave instrumental songs (well...almost anyway, as they do sort of sing in the closing phrase).  Speaking of High 'n Dry, didn't the CD release cut out the song "Me and My Wine?" 

Also, I get a little ticked off with our local classic rock station.  They play the opening chords to "Action! Not Words" (from Pyromania, second to the last track) but the station never actually plays the song, and that's one of the best B-side songs from Pyro (that, Billy's Got a Gun and Coming Under Fire)
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Henry

I vividly remember Pink Floyd's Money being played on the air; it's the song that contains the line "don't give me that do goody-good bullshit".

Quote from: Brandon on October 14, 2014, 09:57:25 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 13, 2014, 09:51:55 AM
I can't believe there are stations that edit out references to smoking or that they still have listeners.  Are they Radio Disney?

"Bitch" is not considered offensive to community standards in the way "fuck" is (and certainly not on the FCC "list").  Ban "bitch" and you might as well ban "hell" and "damn."  If you can say "ass" on the radio, there's no reason you can't say "bitch."

Fuck it, let's just bring back the Hays Code.  :banghead:

Try telling that to radio stations that play Katy Perry's Hot n Cold, where the final word in the line "you PMS like a bitch" is completely erased. And then there's Brandy's 2002 hit What About Us?, where the line "I don't need this bullshit" is changed twice, to "I don't need this bull ish", and also to a glass-breaking sound effect after the "bull" half.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

1995hoo

I remember the Washington Capitals used Rev Theory's "Hell Yeah" as the entrance video song a few years ago but censored it ("Are you ready for the best damn ride of your life" was clumsily edited to remove "damn," while "Gimme a hell, gimme a yeah" was edited to "Gimme a yell, gimme a yeah").

If you know the song the edits are jarringly obvious:

hbelkins

Quote from: roadman65 on October 20, 2014, 10:28:13 AM
I heard an old song that I never knew existed as the Rolling Stones covered it back in the 80s when they came out with their first new age rock songs on Undercover of the Night. 

It was the original Going To A Go Go, as when I heard it I remembered now how I wish they could have cut any parts of that song out when it was out.

That never appeared on a studio album. They played that song on that tour and it was on the live album they released.

I saw that tour when they played Rupp Arena in December of 1981. I also have a vinyl bootleg soundboard recording of their date on that tour at Hampton Coliseum in Virginia.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Laura

You guys, I just heard "Money for Nothin'" UNCENSORED on 100.7 The Bay here in Baltimore. Granted, it played from 3:31-3:39 am when most people are asleep, but it was incredible. I just never thought this moment would happen. At first, I noticed the intro was longer, so I was like "sweet! The full eight minute version!" when it dawned on me...it was possible that they could play those lines with the f word...and then they did.

iPhone

vtk

I thought a medley was always a special presentation of several songs which are normally played separately, or parts thereof.  Two songs that are traditionally played together, like the examples in the first few posts of this thread, I call a "polycarmen".  And I usually do prefer to hear the whole polycarmen if I'm aware of it.

My personal favorite presentation of The Wall Part 2 actually begins with The Wall Part 1.

I always assumed in Money For Nothing, the bundle of sticks was supposed to be Prince, but I haven't really seen many pictures of him or Boy George.  Also, the line goes "that's his own affair", not "that's his own hair"; apparently the singer didn't hold too much disrespect towards the bundle of sticks, and was in fact impressed by his financial success.

Why is it when a song is shortened, it's almost always a unique instrumental segment that gets cut?  If anything, I'd prefer they cut a verse, as aside from the lyrics, verses are usually repetitious of one another.

Just a few weeks ago I heard WVNO play Devil Went Down To Georgia, in which the word "bitch" was censored with an audible beep. That was hilarious.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

1995hoo

According to the lyric sheet with the record, the line is "that's his own hair."

vtk

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 22, 2014, 08:29:56 AM
According to the lyric sheet with the record, the line is "that's his own hair."

That's a whole missing syllable from what I thought I've always heard.  Makes more sense my way. *shrugs*
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Alps

yawn
Green Day's Blvd. gets shortened by leaps and bounds at the end. Weezer's Undone usually drops the piano solo, which is the whole reason of listening to the song. And yet they never chop Let It Be.

iowahighways

Quote from: roadman65 on October 10, 2014, 05:18:37 PM
On editing our local rock station now WMMO does not like the GD word in Life In The Fast Lane and not only editing it out themselves, but sounding so terrible at it. 

Not only does 100.3 the Bus in Des Moines do that, they also edit out "pussy" in Ted Nugent's "Cat Scratch Fever" ("Well, I make a pussy purr with a stroke of my hand..."), replacing it with a guitar riff. The rock stations in the area, 95 KGGO and Lazer 103.3, leave it alone.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

US81

Quote from: Alps on February 01, 2012, 08:30:39 PM

...Finally, don't get me started when I'm traveling, and the one station with good music is the one that plays all its songs 1.1 times as fast to fit in more ads. I can hear the difference in pitch. I'd rather travel in silence and go crazy.

Hell yeah!!! I thought I was the only one. (I have a a musician friend who also has perfect pitch but it doesn't bother him to the degree it irks me.)  It's painful! I commiserate with you, Alps.

roadman65

Was Steppenwolf's The Pusher ever edited when it was played back in the 70's before censorship was broken?

Remember the chorus with the many G D words is said.

Sheryl Crowe

kurumi

Quote from: bandit957 on October 19, 2014, 03:35:24 PM
Another funny thing I did when I was about 10. Any time a song had a title or lyrics with a word that rhymed with the name of a 'Sesame Street' character, I'd change the lyrics accordingly. For example, "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" by Culture Club became "Do You Really Want To Bert Me".

"Almost Over You" by Sheena Easton became "Almost Grover You". The line about "paintin' the town" became "number paintin' the town", because of the Number Painter on 'Sesame Street'.

Also the line in "Puttin' On The Ritz" that said "Tryin' hard to look like Gary Cooper" became "Tryin' hard to look like Mr. Hooper."

You oughta record those songs and call yourself Weird Elmo Yankovic
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.