News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Restricted Highways

Started by agentsteel53, October 06, 2009, 11:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allniter89

QuoteI can't imagine what VA 143's northern end must be like. I've gone up there to try to take photos of its northern terminus, then changed my mind each time because I don't exactly want to invoke the wrath of the CIA. The advance end signage at VA 132 is enough for me.
What does the advance end signage say?
Something like "Dont even think about continueing past this point!" or
"Trespasser will be shot, survivers will be tortured and never seen again! :-D"
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: allniter89 on October 08, 2009, 11:10:46 PM
QuoteI can't imagine what VA 143's northern end must be like. I've gone up there to try to take photos of its northern terminus, then changed my mind each time because I don't exactly want to invoke the wrath of the CIA. The advance end signage at VA 132 is enough for me.

Well no, it just says "END VA 143 1/4 mile". ;)
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

mgk920

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on October 08, 2009, 11:26:47 PM
Quote from: allniter89 on October 08, 2009, 11:10:46 PM

Well no, it just says "END VA 143 1/4 mile". ;)
Google Earth Streetview is your FRIEND!

:camera:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Virginia+143,+Virginia&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.315864,56.513672&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FdukNgIddm5w-w&split=0&hq=&hnear=Virginia+143,+Virginia&ll=37.307081,-76.682087&spn=0.002488,0.005493&t=k&z=18&layer=c&cbll=37.307173,-76.682062&panoid=xbmCIRj4_8z-VVKHh9gcmg&cbp=12,1.48,,0,9.47

:cheers:

Mike

agentsteel53

I cannot read the critical word before "traffic only" on the sawbuck guide sign.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: allniter89 on October 08, 2009, 10:56:55 PM
I believe DE 10 ends at the North Gate of Dover Air Force Base at the junction of US 113 aka Bay Rd and DE 10.
It appears FL 397 runs thru Eglin AFB (marked as Eglin Blvd on EAFB) via the North Gate in Valparaiso and the Main Gate near the FL 189/FL85 jct.
It also appears FL 189 ends at the Main Gate of Eglin AFB.

Florida 397 does not enter the Air Force property according to the FDOT GIS shape files. Nor does Florida 189. From what I've seen driving through there, FL 189 ends at the intersection with FL 397, where FL 397 also ends. Coming from the north Florida 397 ends ahead of the main gate. I have photos of all of this, but have not posted any of it yet...

Two other restricted highways worth noting are Georgia 119 and 144 through Fort Stewart. I have some photos of GA-119 southbound that I should post showing the array of signage that you don't see on most roadways, like Tactical Vehicle Speed Limit signs.

Hellfighter

M-93 dumps right into Camp Grayling. There is a U-Turn lane right before the gate.

mgk920

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 09, 2009, 12:49:00 AM
I cannot read the critical word before "traffic only" on the sawbuck guide sign.
I believe that it says 'Base'.

Mike

WillWeaverRVA

I haven't been on it myself, but is the north end of the All American Freeway in Fayetteville, NC (at Fort Bragg) restricted at all? Is there a u-turn, or must one take the last exit before the base to turn around?

(And yes, I know the All American Freeway is a secondary route. :p)
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

2Co5_14

Using a completely different interpretation of "restricted", on I-66 in VA between I-495 (capitol beltway) and Washington DC, ALL the lanes of traffic are restricted to HOV use only during commute hours.  Non-HOV traffic has to use surface streets (US 29, US 50, or others).  Since I-66 has only 2 lanes in each direction for most of this stretch, I'm sure it couldn't handle any additional SOV traffic.

Oops... I skimmed through that earlier post too quickly and didn't catch that you mentioned this already! :sleep:

See the following links for pictures:

https://www.aaroads.com/mid-atlantic/virginia050/i-066_eb_exit_066_01.jpg
https://www.aaroads.com/mid-atlantic/virginia066/i-066_wb_exit_073_01.jpg

froggie

That one was mentioned earlier in the thread.  Technically, SOVs can use I-66 during restricted hours, but only if they're going to/from Dulles Airport.

deathtopumpkins

Can you please host your images off-site from now on, please? Hosting them here cuts into server space.
Feel free to private message me if you're not sure how.

Though thanks for posting those pictures, as I've never made it up there to see for myself.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

hbelkins

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on October 12, 2009, 05:59:02 PM
Can you please host your images off-site from now on, please? Hosting them here cuts into server space.

I didn't even know you could post images here instead of linking to them off-site.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: hbelkins on October 12, 2009, 10:31:38 PM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on October 12, 2009, 05:59:02 PM

I didn't even know you could post images here instead of linking to them off-site.

When you go to reply, under additional options there is an attachment option. Use it sparingly.  :-P

Now back on-topic.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.