News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Washington

Started by jakeroot, May 21, 2016, 01:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: 8.Lug on June 10, 2016, 05:51:13 PM
Have a friend in Rochester, WA which was named for Rochester, MI which was named for Rochester, NY our home town lol

lol indeed. Nice bit of a history I never knew.

Were you able to avoid some of the traffic? I'm sure the five north of Olympia (through JBLM) was a pain.

Thunderbyrd316

Quote from: jakeroot on May 21, 2016, 01:56:31 PM
Why there hasn't been a thread specifically for Washington, or any other PNW state before, I don't know. So, I'm finally taking the liberty to create one. There are numerous road projects all throughout Washington State that do not need their own threads. Huge projects like the 520 bridge and Alaskan Way Tunnel are megaprojects deserving of their own thread.. But, smaller projects, such as interchange improvements, widening, or pavement rehab, while important, are hardly deserving of their own thread.

The main issue before was the overall lack of users from Washington to keep the thread moving. But I have noticed a few more users from this area lately. AFAICT, the following users have some connection to Washington:

- myself
- Kacie Janie
- Bruce
- kkt
- KEK, Inc
- thefraze_1020
- mcarling
- Bickendon (to an extent)
- corco, previously
- Ace10
- TEG24601
- Tarkus
- JasonOfORoads

I don't expect this thread to have a lot of activity -- maybe a whole page by the end of 2016. But at least there's somewhere to post about small projects now.

You can probably add me to your list Jake. I drive through a big chunk of Washington just about every week during the Summer to get to various Demolition Derbies and Full Contact Oval and Figure 8 Stock Car races. (Thunderbird Stadium at the Kitsap County Fairgrounds in Silverdale is a favorite track.) Nevermind the fact that I live less than 15 miles from the state line and go over to Vancouver / Clark County more than once a week.

jakeroot

Quote from: Thunderbyrd316 on June 10, 2016, 08:04:16 PM
You can probably add me to your list Jake. I drive through a big chunk of Washington just about every week during the Summer to get to various Demolition Derbies and Full Contact Oval and Figure 8 Stock Car races. (Thunderbird Stadium at the Kitsap County Fairgrounds in Silverdale is a favorite track.) Nevermind the fact that I live less than 15 miles from the state line and go over to Vancouver / Clark County more than once a week.

Thanks for the info! I always like hearing about new race tracks. One of these days I'm gonna do a track day.

Anyways, consider yourself added.

8.Lug

Quote from: jakeroot on June 10, 2016, 06:51:45 PM
Were you able to avoid some of the traffic? I'm sure the five north of Olympia (through JBLM) was a pain.

It was stop-n-go but not a parking lot so it didn't bother me. I'm pretty good with my weaving and I picked up on which lanes to be in at which points to cover the most ground, like how the right-most lanes seem to move the best until there's a merge and you gotta get back over to the left or else you'll definitely be in a parking lot.
Contrary to popular belief, things are exactly as they seem.

Bruce

Lack of construction?

Maybe on the highway side (for now, with the new transportation package), but every other area is booming. New skyscrapers in downtown and SLU; new light rail in North Seattle, SeaTac, and now Bellevue (with more to come for the next 25 years); new ferry terminals coming soon at Colman Dock and Mukilteo; etc.

Not a day goes by without me encountering a gaggle of orange vests going out for lunch. Heck, even my commute to school entirely contained within Everett and Marysville passes by at least 4 construction sites.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on June 10, 2016, 11:13:32 PM
Lack of construction?

Maybe on the highway side (for now, with the new transportation package), but every other area is booming. New skyscrapers in downtown and SLU; new light rail in North Seattle, SeaTac, and now Bellevue (with more to come for the next 25 years); new ferry terminals coming soon at Colman Dock and Mukilteo; etc.

Not a day goes by without me encountering a gaggle of orange vests going out for lunch. Heck, even my commute to school entirely contained within Everett and Marysville passes by at least 4 construction sites.

I'm sure he was talking about the roads. Driving around Seattle these days is like an obstacle course! Never seen so much building construction in my life.

mcarling

The new exit from I-205 southbound to Mill Plain Blvd is now open (and the old one is now closed).
US 97 should be 2x2 all the way from Yakima, WA to Klamath Falls, OR.

jakeroot

Quote from: mcarling on June 18, 2016, 09:43:54 PM
The new exit from I-205 southbound to Mill Plain Blvd is now open (and the old one is now closed).

Just the 205 exit, correct? The entrance ramp is still under construction, yes?

mcarling

Quote from: jakeroot on June 18, 2016, 10:01:58 PM
I haven't driven that way to check it.  I can try to do so over the next few days.

mcarling

Quote from: mcarling on June 18, 2016, 09:43:54 PM

As of 11:00 today, the entrance ramp from NE 18th St onto southbound I-205 is not yet open.  Glimpsed from I-205 northbound, that ramp does look complete, so it might possibly open this week.

The Ghostbuster

Any updates on the North Spokane Corridor? Is the existing portion the only part of the highway that will ever be built?

Bruce

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 20, 2016, 04:17:01 PM
Any updates on the North Spokane Corridor? Is the existing portion the only part of the highway that will ever be built?

The 2015 transportation package includes full funding for the entire corridor, to finish the freeway all the way to I-90. The southern segment will cost $879 million and be completed by 2027; work cannot start yet since the revenue isn't expected to kick into full gear for a few more years.

mcarling

The entrance ramp is still under construction, yes?
The entrance ramp from NE 18th St onto southbound I-205 is now open.

jakeroot

Washington must fix salmon-blocking culverts, court says

For anyone pay-walled:

Federal appeals judges say the state of Washington has violated the treaty rights of tribes to fish by building and maintaining large pipes that allow streams to pass beneath roads but also block migrating salmon.

A panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Monday affirmed a lower-court ruling ordering Washington to replace hundreds of culverts – at a cost that officials peg at $2.4 billion.

The case stems from the landmark 1974 Boldt decision, which affirmed the rights of 21 Washington tribes to half the salmon harvest. The tribes, backed by the U.S. Justice Department, sued the state in 2001, trying to force the state to replace the culverts with structures that better allow fish to pass.

A federal judge in Seattle held that fish-blocking culverts contribute to diminished salmon runs, and in 2013 ordered the state to replace hundreds of culverts.

Henry

Quote from: Thunderbyrd316 on June 10, 2016, 08:04:16 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 21, 2016, 01:56:31 PM
Why there hasn't been a thread specifically for Washington, or any other PNW state before, I don't know. So, I'm finally taking the liberty to create one. There are numerous road projects all throughout Washington State that do not need their own threads. Huge projects like the 520 bridge and Alaskan Way Tunnel are megaprojects deserving of their own thread.. But, smaller projects, such as interchange improvements, widening, or pavement rehab, while important, are hardly deserving of their own thread.

The main issue before was the overall lack of users from Washington to keep the thread moving. But I have noticed a few more users from this area lately. AFAICT, the following users have some connection to Washington:

- myself
- Kacie Janie
- Bruce
- kkt
- KEK, Inc
- thefraze_1020
- mcarling
- Bickendon (to an extent)
- corco, previously
- Ace10
- TEG24601
- Tarkus
- JasonOfORoads

I don't expect this thread to have a lot of activity -- maybe a whole page by the end of 2016. But at least there's somewhere to post about small projects now.

I should be on that list too! I've been living in Seattle since 2000, when I moved there from L.A.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jakeroot

Quote from: Henry on June 29, 2016, 10:51:28 AM
I should be on that list too! I've been living in Seattle since 2000, when I moved there from L.A.

Sorry. Done. I knew I was missing someone else. I started to associate you with just the Chicago area, forgetting that you tagged Seattle as a location as well.

compdude787

New member here, but I've lived in Washington all my life and will probably be contributing a fair amount to this part of the forum, so add me to the list, please. Thanks!!

jakeroot

Quote from: compdude787 on July 06, 2016, 12:48:27 PM
New member here, but I've lived in Washington all my life and will probably be contributing a fair amount to this part of the forum, so add me to the list, please. Thanks!!

Done! And again, welcome aboard. A potential roster for Seattle-area meetups grows by the day.

mrsman

It's wonderful that you are able to find so many people from Washington and identified as local experts.  I have only been to Seattle once on a two week vacation many years ago, but my wife is a UW alum.  It'd be nice if similar lists are produced for the areas where I am most familliar (LA, NYC, and DC).

jakeroot

Quote from: mrsman on July 18, 2016, 10:47:02 PM
It's wonderful that you are able to find so many people from Washington and identified as local experts.  I have only been to Seattle once on a two week vacation many years ago, but my wife is a UW alum.  It'd be nice if similar lists are produced for the areas where I am most familliar (LA, NYC, and DC).

I originally produced the list to prove to other users that there was actually a sizable base of users from the PNW. The original list was much shorter, but as you can see from previous posts, it keeps growing.

I, personally, would love a list for other areas as well, if only so I could see which areas have the most users (I suspect the midwest is first, followed by the northeast, followed by who knows).

Thunderbyrd316

I was passing through Chehalis on I-5 on Saturday and noticed that they have begun demolition of the Chamber Way overpass at Exit 79. Interestingly, I could find nothing about this project on the WSDOT website. I am presuming that a new structure will be constructed that will accommodate future widening of the freeway. If anybody has further info. please feel free to share. While it needs to happen, it is a bit sad to see another cool old '50's era overpass bite the dust.

jakeroot

Quote from: Thunderbyrd316 on August 04, 2016, 10:24:02 PM
   I was passing through Chehalis on I-5 on Saturday and noticed that they have begun demolition of the Chamber Way overpass at Exit 79. Interestingly, I could find nothing about this project on the WSDOT website. I am presuming that a new structure will be constructed that will accommodate future widening of the freeway. If anybody has further info. please feel free to share. While it needs to happen, it is a bit sad to see another cool old '50's era overpass bite the dust.

An over height semi crashed into the over pass last week, rendering it unusable. A new temporary span opened today. No idea what the plan is now, but I'd guess some funding will be allocated soon for a new bridge.

From WSDOT: http://wsdot.wa.gov/news/2016/08/04/chamber-way-overpass-reopen-thursday-aug-4

Bruce

WSDOT seems to have its act together with regard to building temporary bridges. The aftermath of the Skagit River collapse was handled very well, and this one is progressing smoothly.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on August 04, 2016, 11:02:05 PM
WSDOT seems to have its act together with regard to building temporary bridges. The aftermath of the Skagit River collapse was handled very well, and this one is progressing smoothly.

Amazingly, the damn thing's already open. They definitely have their shit together:

kkt

Great job with the temporary bridge.  I hope the permanent replacement is built for future six lanes of I-5.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.