News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Things To Get the Mods for Xmas, Female Roadgeek Census, and Other Miscellany

Started by vtk, December 20, 2013, 01:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US81

Quote from: Takumi on December 27, 2013, 04:53:15 PM
Quote from: US81 on December 27, 2013, 11:59:38 AM
There are probably other women on the forum who avoid the mention of their own gender on-line, just because of rants like those above.
Are you one of them?

No, but I have a daughter on the forum.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Grzrd

1941 Members
14.8:1 Male to Female Ratio

Shouldn't there be somewhere in the neighborhood of 131 female members?

sammi

NE2

Quote from: Grzrd on December 27, 2013, 05:28:43 PM
1941 Members
14.8:1 Male to Female Ratio

Shouldn't there be somewhere in the neighborhood of 131 female members?
It's probably something big:14.8:1 unidentified:male:female.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on December 27, 2013, 12:37:47 PM
Quote from: sammi on December 27, 2013, 11:17:52 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 27, 2013, 11:13:08 AM
Quote from: US71 on December 25, 2013, 12:44:03 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 21, 2013, 01:33:39 PM
I can only think of two off the top of my head. One in Maryland (I went to her wedding) and one in the STL area.

There's a 3rd, who lives in KC but she already has a significant other.

Wait! I know a 4th in Little Rock, but she's on the periphery and has a steady fellow, already.

There's a female member of this forum from New York state who notes her sex in her autosignature.

NYST?

vdeane.
And we've gone in circles again.

US71

Quote from: Steve on December 27, 2013, 06:48:14 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 27, 2013, 12:37:47 PM
Quote from: sammi on December 27, 2013, 11:17:52 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 27, 2013, 11:13:08 AM
Quote from: US71 on December 25, 2013, 12:44:03 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 21, 2013, 01:33:39 PM
I can only think of two off the top of my head. One in Maryland (I went to her wedding) and one in the STL area.

There's a 3rd, who lives in KC but she already has a significant other.

Wait! I know a 4th in Little Rock, but she's on the periphery and has a steady fellow, already.

There's a female member of this forum from New York state who notes her sex in her autosignature.

NYST?

vdeane.

Will It Go Round In Circles?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

signalman

Quote from: US71 on December 27, 2013, 08:08:14 PM

Good song, haven't heard it in a while.

Back on topic...sorta.  There is another female member on here that I didn't see mentioned from Columbus, OH.  Haven't seen her post recently though.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

Quote from: signalman on December 28, 2013, 03:49:16 AM

Back on topic...sorta.  There is another female member on here that I didn't see mentioned from Columbus, OH.  Haven't seen her post recently though.
EDIT: I'm realizing my posts aren't coming through with perhaps very... appropriate language. What I'm really getting at is this: In any typical context (socially, mostly), I don't care what gender you were or are, or if you have a gender at all. It's part of who you are. The only reason I would ever draw a distinction between "born" female and "transitioned/ing" is in the case when we're looking at why men become roadgeeks but not women, and the idea that there may be genetic predisposition. That's because I have to get beyond gender to the actual chromosomes themselves. It makes me uncomfortable to have to do that, but I've never been one to hide behind political correctness.

signalman

I am assuming so.  I don't know anyone on this forum personally.  In fact, I've never met another road enthusiast in person.  Kinda sad actually.  Steve is two towns over from me.

Galaxy S3

Zeffy

Quote from: signalman on December 28, 2013, 11:41:33 AM
I am assuming so.  I don't know anyone on this forum personally.  In fact, I've never met another road enthusiast in person.  Kinda sad actually.  Steve is two towns over from me.

Don't feel bad - I'm in the same boat. But I'm also pretty young judging by the ages displayed on the forum... Oh yeah, and I don't have my own personal vehicle yet. That explains why I don't meet people, I guess.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

1995hoo

Quote from: Steve on December 28, 2013, 11:36:28 AM

So... I guess most people in here think everyone who presents as female was always female. I still stick by my original assertion.

I would automatically presume that unless someone told me otherwise. Actually, the idea that someone was not always a member of a particular sex would never cross my mind unless I were told otherwise or there were some other reason to reach that conclusion. It's just not something that would ever occur to me. I don't know, maybe that's old-fashioned in today's world, but as signalman notes, many of us have never met any other forum members in person.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

signalman

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 28, 2013, 12:23:39 PM
Actually, the idea that someone was not always a member of a particular sex would never cross my mind unless I were told otherwise or there were some other reason to reach that conclusion. It's just not something that would ever occur to me. I don't know, maybe that's old-fashioned in today's world, but as signalman notes, many of us have never met any other forum members in person.
I agree completely, hoo.  I would not assume anyone on this forum (male or female) was not born the gender that they currently are.  I don't necessarily believe that it's old fashioned thinking so much as sex changes are not super common.  With that said, I don't assume anyone has had one done unless someone else tells me or I have prior knowledge of the person in question.

hbelkins

Once upon a time, there was a thread in which some of the posters with feminine-sounding names and/or feminine avatars discussed those names or images.

I know one female member of this forum who never posts and isn't a roadgeek -- my wife.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Alps

Quote from: signalman on December 28, 2013, 11:41:33 AM

Well, then that can be changed fairly easily.

Alps

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 28, 2013, 12:23:39 PM

So... I guess most people in here think everyone who presents as female was always female. I still stick by my original assertion.

I would automatically presume that unless someone told me otherwise. Actually, the idea that someone was not always a member of a particular sex would never cross my mind unless I were told otherwise or there were some other reason to reach that conclusion. It's just not something that would ever occur to me. I don't know, maybe that's old-fashioned in today's world, but as signalman notes, many of us have never met any other forum members in person.
I've modified my original post because I don't like the way I was coming across. I'm not intending to start any sort of discussion or controversy on gender in any context other than "there are no female roadgeeks",

Laura

The only reason I would ever draw a distinction between "born" female and "transitioned/ing" is in the case when we're looking at why men become roadgeeks but not women, and the idea that there may be genetic predisposition. That's because I have to get beyond gender to the actual chromosomes themselves. It makes me uncomfortable to have to do that, but I've never been one to hide behind political correctness.

I've wondered this myself, to be honest. I believe it has to do with sexual dimorphism.* For instance, the amygdala and hippocampus process memories differently in "born" men and women  - areas that also process navigation, direction, and roads.** I wouldn't be surprised if "born" women are less likely to be into roads because their brain morphology and functionality is different in these areas, for example.

This is merely a guess, but considering that I'm bisexual, it's likely that my brain is wired more like a "born" man's brain in areas pertaining to attraction to woman and a love of roads. There's probably an overlap there. I would suspect that there are similar overlaps to explain why there is a higher percentage of roadgeeks who are LGBTQ than in the general population, and why it's more likely for "transitioned/ing" women to be into roads than "born" women.

*I am not a neurological subject matter expert! I am only going off of research that I've personally read while copy editing medical journals. While I hate linking to a wiki, this page has a brief overview of neuroscience of gender differences: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroscience_of_gender_differences
**I hope I'm using the terminology correctly...no intentions to offend here.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Laura Bianca on January 01, 2014, 02:48:20 PMit's likely that my brain is wired more like a "born" man's brain in areas pertaining to attraction to woman and a love of roads. There's probably an overlap there. I would suspect that there are similar overlaps to explain why there is a higher percentage of roadgeeks who are LGBTQ than in the general population, and why it's more likely for "transitioned/ing" women to be into roads than "born" women.

how does that work?  I remember someone making an offhand remark to me that 1/3 of roadgeeks are gay males, and that seems plausible to me... wouldn't the "attracted to men" part of the neuroanatomy cause them to lean against a love of roads? 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ctsignguy

I know of one other lady roadgeek here on this Fine Forum from this town I live in but there are two issues....
1. She is already spoken for
2  I think there might be considerable consternation regarding our age differences.....55 might be a bit up there for her! *LOL*

But a nice lady companion who likes hitting the road every so often (when my health will allow it again) would be heaven!
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

US81

The only reason I would ever draw a distinction between "born" female and "transitioned/ing" is in the case when we're looking at why men become roadgeeks but not women, and the idea that there may be genetic predisposition. That's because I have to get beyond gender to the actual chromosomes themselves. It makes me uncomfortable to have to do that, but I've never been one to hide behind political correctness.

Genetic / anatomic / physiologic predisposition may play a role, but I think we also have to consider the significant differences in socialization and enculturation of boy children vis-a-vis girl children and how deeply our society encodes presumptive gender differences. Well before children are born, parents choose room decor, clothing and most certainly toys based on the gender of the infant. Cars, trains and airplanes are frequent themes for boys' toys and decor; girls get dolls, dolls and dolls but no Hot Wheels or Tonka, and at best a Barbie car, at least from most parents. The movie "Cars" has its token female characters, but it's clearly intended for an audience of boys (and a few grown roadgeeks who lurk in the shadows). 

I'll bet we've lost numbers of female roadgeeks by snuffing out their interest in childhood.

vtk

Quote from: US81 on January 01, 2014, 04:16:01 PM
Well before children are born, parents choose room decor, clothing and most certainly toys based on the gender of the infant. Cars, trains and airplanes are frequent themes for boys' toys and decor; girls get dolls, dolls and dolls but no Hot Wheels or Tonka, and at best a Barbie car, at least from most parents.

I'll bet we've lost numbers of female roadgeeks by snuffing out their interest in childhood.

I'm not sure that's a significant factor.  In families with both boys and girls, all the kids have opportunity to play with trucks or dolls as they please.  On the other hand, I was one of three boys in my family.  Mom got us a babydoll once, on the off chance it would bring out some nurturing instincts or something.  All we did was torture it or use it as a hostage in pretend standoffs.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

bugo

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.