News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Southeast / Re: I-40 in North Carolina
Last post by bob7374 - Today at 11:10:27 PM
NCDOT announcement about more closures on I-40 for the NC 540 project. Since this was posted they moved the closure up to tonight (4/17). They could have made the notice more complicated by stating I-40 West is closed so traffic should use NC 42 (Future NC 36) East to US 70 (Future I-42) West to get back to I-40:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2024/2024-04-17-road-closed-i-40-west-clayton.aspx
Somehow never answered this one:

3 digit: I-391 (I think)

2 digit: I-99
It's fairly short, but there's Allen Road in Toronto (4.5 miles).  It is along the route of the once-proposed (but never built) Spadina Expressway, which was cancelled in 1971.
Traffic Control / Re: Poor Sign Placement
Last post by wanderer2575 - Today at 10:31:47 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 06, 2024, 11:23:19 PM

I have to take this one back.  Having looked at it on Google Streetview, the post-mounted sign is farther along past the gantry than it appears here.  (I was too focused on getting the photo to absorb that at the time.)
Central States / Re: Oklahoma
Last post by Bobby5280 - Today at 10:17:16 PM
I said this about Rogers Lane recently:

Quote from: Bobby5280The intersection with 67th Street isn't much better. That privacy wall built along one corner of the intersection creates quite a blind spot.

On Monday a fatal t-bone collision happened at that intersection:
https://www.kswo.com/2024/04/16/update-lpd-releases-information-over-mondays-deadly-crash/?tbref=hp

Apparently the motorist who died was attempting to turn left from Northbound 67th Street onto Westbound Rogers Lane. His vehicle was broadsided by a vehicle traveling Eastbound. They had Rogers Lane closed off a mile in each direction from the site of the crash for several hours.

As I said, the SW corner of the intersection is closely bordered by a solid privacy wall. The wall borders a neighborhood with huge, high priced homes. As if the blind spot wasn't bad enough, a cluster of trees on the other side of the privacy wall makes the blind spot worse.

LPD hasn't said who was at fault. It's likely someone tried running a red light. I hate the timing of the traffic signals on Rogers Lane. You'll catch the red lights far more often that not. It wouldn't surprise me if the guy trying to turn left onto WB Rogers Lane got hit by someone who pressed the accelerator when he saw his green light turn yellow.

I guarantee we're going to see more grisly accidents happen on Rogers Lane once all that trucking traffic from Goodyear and other parts of the West side industrial park start using it. When Goodyear Blvd is extended to a new freeway exit on US-62 the traffic on Rogers Lane will become very different.
Traffic Control / Re: Erroneous road signs
Last post by wanderer2575 - Today at 10:16:20 PM
Photographed this past weekend in Roscommon, MI:  Sbd BL I-75 actually is concurrent with sbd M-18 straight ahead, not concurrent with nbd BL I-75 to the right.

The previous assembly also had it wrong, but differently:  https://maps.app.goo.gl/SaZ2T2cUCo9ufhN16
Central States / Re: OK: US-59 bridge over 'Ker...
Last post by Bobby5280 - Today at 09:58:59 PM
The fact remains the US-59 bridge over the Arkansas River that was recently struck by a barge didn't have any protective dolphins around the bridge piers. I'm not going to applaud ODOT for taking action to remedy a problem after a horrible disaster happens (like what happened on I-40 at Webbers Falls).

Now that ODOT knows it is possible for a barge to strike the US-59 bridge maybe they'll do something about it.
Mountain West / Re: New Mexico
Last post by Rothman - Today at 09:54:51 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on Today at 09:28:55 PM
Quote from: Rothman on Today at 09:26:59 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on Today at 09:26:08 PMOh, man, oh man.... did I mention that NMDOT needs to get their shit together? They had a lane of I 40 closed With no construction workers and nothing going on at five p m. That was heading westbound on I 40 near tucumcari. It caused about a five mile back up. Fortunately, I was heading eastbound. But that is ridiculous. New mexico really just doesn't give a fuck.

There are various legit reasons for a work zone to be empty...
Yeah, alright. I just don't buy that in the middle of a rural desert they couldn't find a way to prevent a 5+ mile backup for a simple repave.

Well, give them a call, then.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Michigan Notes
Last post by webny99 - Today at 09:34:06 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on April 13, 2024, 02:00:16 PMDouble-barreled action on I-75 around mile marker 166.

Is that unusual in Michigan? It's very common here. I can think of at least two median U-turn locations where two cops is as common as just one. I just figure it's a slow day and they're taking the chance to chat with their co-workers.

Quote from: JREwing78 on April 15, 2024, 12:58:51 AM
Quote from: michiganguy123 on April 14, 2024, 08:12:48 PMWhat's the highest speed someone has blown past a state trooper without getting pulled over?

I *have* done 85 in a 70 and had MSP *try* to pull me over. It was just before an exit where the road went downhill out of sight of the officer. I took the exit. The trooper didn't. My driving record didn't get more points on it that day.

Lucky! I was in a similar situation on NY 104 once, definitely speeding but don't remember my speed. I saw the cop pull out behind me, but far enough back that I wasn't sure if he was after me or not. I sure didn't bother to find out, and bailed at the next exit as soon as I got around the bend and out of his view. I turned right ASAP and wound my way back to the highway on backroads just to be sure. A hair raising experience to be sure.

Pacific Southwest / Re: California
Last post by Plutonic Panda - Today at 09:33:11 PM
Is this an actual project that is planned? Or just something that we think should happen?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.