Unusual food combinations you think might taste good

Started by Pink Jazz, October 21, 2014, 01:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

If you ever thought of an unusual food combination you think might taste good, but never actually tried it before, what such combination would it be?

My such idea would be a strawberry pie with a thick layer of mozzarella cheese inside.  The flavor combination sounds great, with the melted mozzarella cheese giving a nice texture to the pie.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

adventurernumber1

This is something Ive tried before: one time I was making a Peanut Butter & Honey sandwich, and then I decided to put two powdered doughnuts on it. My taste buds were very healthy after that.  :bigass:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Laura

NWI_Irish96

Since I love root beer floats, I once thought a beer float might be good.  I was wrong.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

spooky

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 21, 2014, 07:46:38 AM
Since I love root beer floats, I once thought a beer float might be good.  I was wrong.

What kind of beer did you use?

Jardine

I haven't tried it yet, but a friend swears a BLT with peanut butter on it is fantastic.

I already eat them with American cheese and mayo (learned that in Wisconsin) but would delete the cheese and mayo and try PB next time I make them.

Pete from Boston

I've had a Guinness float. It wasn't the greatest.  There are probably better beers than Guinness for such a thing (sweeter, more caramel-y stouts, for example) but it would still probably not be my cup of tea. 

corco

Quote from: NE2 on October 21, 2014, 01:35:08 AM
Poo and ice.

Actually, when I think about this it might not be terrible, and I'm not even joking. Just don't tell anybody what it is before giving it to them

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: spooky on October 21, 2014, 07:51:52 AM

What kind of beer did you use?

I was far too intoxicated to remember such a detail.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

I used to fix grilled cheese and peanut butter sandwiches. I'd put the peanut butter on the sandwich before I grilled it. I always thought they were pretty tasty.

But I don't get this whole chicken-and-waffles thing that is so popular in the south.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: hbelkins on October 21, 2014, 02:24:37 PM
But I don't get this whole chicken-and-waffles thing that is so popular in the south.

I have not tried it yet, but I saw chicken and waffles on the menu at IHOP recently, and it actually looks very, very appitizing, at least to me.  :-P :bigass:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

english si

Marmite and Marmalade toast sandwiches. I know they taste good. The Marmite has saltiness and savouriness, the marmalade has a bit of sweetness (from the sugar) with a bit of sourness (from the citrus juice) and bitterness (from the citrus peel). It's the whole package of taste, though the Marmite dominates.

Pete from Boston

I don't want to look up Marmite because it will unbalance a carefully-crafted search-engine-ad marketing profile I've worked hard to attain.  Could you tell us what it is?  We don't have that. 

briantroutman

On Dragnet, Bill Gannon's peculiarities often served as the comic relief (as tepidly "comic"  as Jack Webb would allow), including Bill's odd tastes and peculiar recipes. I tried one of his recipes that Nick at Nite felt worthy of turning into a network promo: the garlic nut butter sandwich. I've made them several times and found them to be quite good.

Take two slices of pumpernickel bread; spread one with creamy peanut butter and the other with cream cheese. Using a garlic press, crush a clove over the cream cheese side. Assemble and cut into quarters–a good finger food to accompany beer.

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 21, 2014, 04:17:08 PM
I don't want to look up Marmite...Could you tell us what it is? 

Yeast extract...similar to Vegemite but darker. A very salty and savory dark brown paste. Popular "down under" .

english si

Quote from: briantroutman on October 21, 2014, 04:54:31 PMYeast extract...similar to Vegemite but darker. A very salty and savory dark brown paste. Popular "down under" .
They hate it "down under" and 'either love it or hate it' in the UK. Australia has that pooey paste that is Vegimite, New Zealand having their own thing (which they confusingly call Marmite) that are similar, but just not the same. You in the US have 'Vegex' as something similar.

It's yeast extract - you cook up spent brewers' yeast (they've even done gimmicky special editions with specific beer's yeast such as Guinness) and a couple of other things (most notably salt) to concentrate it into a black gloopy paste. It's an acquired taste and the media campaign 'you either love it or hate it' has meant that marmite as an adjective has entered British English as something divisive or polarising. Looking at wikipedia, Malaysia and Singapore like it with rice and yeast when broken down in the manufacture of these spreads creates something that is similar, but not, MSG.

Both mar- spreads go deliciously in a sandwich with hard cheese.

Billy F 1988

Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

DandyDan

I myself tried a Miller High Life (which was my beer for a time) float, back when I drank.  It was awful.  I think the beer and the ice cream interact in a way to cause bad flavor, though I'd have a hard time trying to explain it scientifically.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

US81

"Back in the day," I remember being disappointed to realize I wasn't the only one dipping french fries into a 'frosty' at Wendy's.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: DandyDan on October 22, 2014, 06:03:19 AM
I myself tried a Miller High Life (which was my beer for a time) float, back when I drank.  It was awful.  I think the beer and the ice cream interact in a way to cause bad flavor, though I'd have a hard time trying to explain it scientifically.

You don't have to.  It already sounds awful.

I was out of town once visiting with some folks that liked to go to this one place because it had $1 specials on pints of Keystone Light.  The secret to making it palatable, they pointed out to me, was to add salt!

english si

You'd have hoped the ice cream would take away the taste of urine that stuff like Miller would have, but it won't. Even better quality American beers would struggle - the crisp, dry and hoppy (esp with new world hops) flavour of the beer won't work with ice cream's creaminess (and to a lesser extent the sweetness)

Something like a stout might work with its coffee-chocolately flavours, but Guinness is too bitter. Beer + Ice cream would work better if a small amount of beer (like one or two fl oz per scoop) is added to ice cream, rather than ice cream dumped in a pint.

Salt helps take the edge off the ice cream's creaminess (and a little of the sweetness), so it would help.

---

I remember having mini marshmallows in (British) baked beans when I was about 12 for some reason like pudding was marshmallows and I hadn't finished my main and nothing to store them in and it strangely working, despite being slightly sweet with little bits of very sweet when I ate a marshmallow. I got "that's repulsive" from everyone, but it really wasn't. But I'm not sure that would be too unusual an idea in America, given the happiness to add sweet to savoury that spooks Brits - like bacon & pancakes with syrup on all of it which I had often last time I was in America to wind up my brother and mother who didn't really like the concept.

Pete from Boston

Yeah, stouts are all I've seen with ice cream.  Some of them actually incorporate coffee or chocolate into their flavor already.

Regarding the marshmallows, it is still common for people here to bake a pan of sweet potatoes/yams and have a layer of marshmallows atop.  It always sounded terrible to me until I had it–the sugar in the marshmallows caramelizes and deepens their flavor, and the sweet potato/yam often has orange juice or pineapple to sweeten it, so they meet in the middle. 

There are bacon chocolate bars commonly sold here.  They immediately made me think of eating chocolate-chip pancakes with bacon, where the bacon gets mixed in with the sweetness.  As it turns out, the wrapper states that was exactly the inspiration for the bacon chocolate bar.

formulanone

There was a restaurant in Athens, Georgia (called Bruce's, IIRC) which served a hamburger with peanut butter on it. They called it the Tupelo...not bad.

A few months later, I'm at a shop in Jacksonville, and we talked about the site called "ThisIsWhyYoureFat.com" or some such. One photo featured a hamburger with two donuts in place of the buns. As it was a slow day, we made a run that afternoon to McDonald's and Krispy Kreme, and tried it out for ourselves. Messy to handle but an interesting taste, since it seemed to cover the aftertaste of Ronald's Cooking.

I've also had blueberry jalapeño jelly, and while it blends the sweet and spicy nicely for breakfast use, it doesn't have the pepper smell, just the kick. It's tough to find in stores, but it's been a clever way to guarantee that no errant peanut butter finds its way into my jelly jar!

Pete from Boston

Various sweet/hot pepper jellies are fairly common here.  Nice for spicy toast or as a glaze for roasted pork/poultry. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.