News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Calvin and Hobbes

Started by roadgeek01, May 06, 2017, 04:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadgeek01

Use this thread for the discussion of the newspaper comic strip Calvin and Hobbes. 

For those who do not know the strip, here is the wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_and_Hobbes
And the GoComics link: http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/

Anyway, since I have first read the strip, I fell in love.  I have read the strip multiple times  :bigass: , and I have a few tee-shirts about Calvin and Hobbes.  I have a quote from the strip in my sig.  The strip always makes me laugh, something only a very good cartoonist can do. 
pork bork my hork

idk what it means either

xcellntbuy

One of the best comic strips drawn and written.  Hilarious.

1995hoo

I'm prompted to remember my junior year of high school. Everybody read Calvin and Hobbes. You might recall there was a storyline where Calvin had to write a report for school and he wrote his about bats and decided to put it in a "professional clear plastic binder" because it would ensure him a good grade when Miss Wormwood saw how good it looked.

Well, I had a paper due in English class when that storyline was running, so I naturally couldn't resist using one of those covers. When we handed in our papers, I waited until the room was quiet and called out, "Mrs. Turley, I want to make sure you note I used a professional clear plastic binder." Everyone started laughing and she must have enjoyed the joke as well because she replied, "I hope your paper is better than Calvin's!"  :clap:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kkt

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 06, 2017, 07:34:00 PM
I'm prompted to remember my junior year of high school. Everybody read Calvin and Hobbes. You might recall there was a storyline where Calvin had to write a report for school and he wrote his about bats and decided to put it in a "professional clear plastic binder" because it would ensure him a good grade when Miss Wormwood saw how good it looked.

Well, I had a paper due in English class when that storyline was running, so I naturally couldn't resist using one of those covers. When we handed in our papers, I waited until the room was quiet and called out, "Mrs. Turley, I want to make sure you note I used a professional clear plastic binder." Everyone started laughing and she must have enjoyed the joke as well because she replied, "I hope your paper is better than Calvin's!"  :clap:

Mrs. Turley is cool  :thumbsup:

Big John

kurumi

The kanji compound for "bat" (蝙蝠) contains "bug" (虫) -- twice. So maybe Calvin is right :-)

Road-related C+H:
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

wxfree

Quote from: kurumi on May 07, 2017, 12:47:19 AM
The kanji compound for "bat" (蝙蝠) contains "bug" (虫) -- twice. So maybe Calvin is right :-)

Road-related C+H:

The father seemed to have a penchant for making up absurd answers to Calvin's questions.  I remember he once explained that the reason the eyelids close when a person sneezes is so that the eyes don't pop out and stretch the optic nerves and you end up spending the rest of your life aiming your eyes with your hands.  When Calvin asked why old photographs weren't in color, he explained that they actually were color photographs, but the world years ago was black-and-white.  The world gradually transitioned to color, but the photos of the black-and-white world were already in color, so they weren't affected and still show black-and-white.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

1995hoo

kkt

Calvin's great imagination comes from his father's side.

hbelkins

Loved Calvin & Hobbes. The cartoonist recently made a comeback, but can't remember which strip he was a guest artist for. Possibly "Pearls Before Swine," which I also love.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

exit322

Quote from: hbelkins on May 07, 2017, 03:35:15 PM
Loved Calvin & Hobbes. The cartoonist recently made a comeback, but can't remember which strip he was a guest artist for. Possibly "Pearls Before Swine," which I also love.
It was PBS.  I forget the exact dates, but Pastis' blog had entries about it.

XT1585

1995hoo

empirestate

My mandate also includes weird bugs.

triplemultiplex

"Oh G.R.O.S.s.! Best club in the cosmos..."

Yep, I'm a fan.
Watterson was not only skilled and inventive, not letting his stuff be merchandised was such a baller move.  Calvin & Hobbes hasn't been diluted by marketing or a lame attempt to cash in on 90's nostalgia.  It will live forever the way we remember.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

formulanone

Quote from: wxfree on May 07, 2017, 01:47:53 AM
The father seemed to have a penchant for making up absurd answers to Calvin's questions.  I remember he once explained that the reason the eyelids close when a person sneezes is so that the eyes don't pop out and stretch the optic nerves and you end up spending the rest of your life aiming your eyes with your hands.  When Calvin asked why old photographs weren't in color, he explained that they actually were color photographs, but the world years ago was black-and-white.  The world gradually transitioned to color, but the photos of the black-and-white world were already in color, so they weren't affected and still show black-and-white.

I do this when joking around with my kids; when it's time to stretch their imagination, I just bluster my way through truth like Calvin's Dad.

One I've always cherished - It's the only strip I've ever cut right out of the newspaper:

DTComposer

IMO, newspaper comics had their last great peak in the late '80s, when Calvin & Hobbes, The Far Side and Bloom County were all at their peak. There are some great comics today (I love PBS, but even it has become a little one-note with the puns and snark), but most of the talent that would have been on the comics page 20 years ago is online today.

hbelkins

One of the things I miss the most about a daily newspaper subscription (I had read a daily newspaper since I was very young, and had to let my subscription go a few years ago for financial reasons) is the comics. Fortunately, I've found that I can subscribe to most of the ones I've read by email, and the others I can read daily via website.

I like Mutts, Pearls Before Swine, BC, Beetle Bailey, Dilbert, The Wizard of Id, Blondie and Rex Morgan M.D., along with a few others. And Mallard Fillmore >>>>> Doonesbury (I love the former but detest the latter and do not read it at all.)

I was a big Far Side fan but never cared much for Bloom County. It's made a comeback online but meh.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadgeek01

pork bork my hork

idk what it means either

roadman

Quote from: roadgeek01 on May 08, 2017, 12:46:43 PM
Here is another road related C+H:

http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1990/04/14

Of course, there was also the time Calvin pushed his parent's car out of the garage - so he could turn the garage into the G.R.O.S.S. clubroom - and it wound up in a ditch across the street.

Calvin:  Oh man, oh man. oh man.
Hobbes:  Yeah.  I didn't think you'd wreck your parent's car until you were seventeen.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

The Ghostbuster

The major reason Bill Watterson ended his strip was because of all the pressure he received from people who wanted to "license" and "merchandize" his creation. Watterson only wanted Calvin and Hobbes to be a comic strip, nothing more. He spent years fighting to keep his strip from being licensed. In Calvin and Hobbes: Sunday Pages, 1985-1995, Watterson described his 10 years drawing the strip as "a wonderful experience, but an all-consuming career."

P.S. Calvin and Hobbes is my favorite comic strip of all-time, along with Garfield. I have all of the books.

kphoger

I have almost all of the Calvin & Hobbes books, plus a shoebox full of newspaper clippings.

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 08, 2017, 05:55:49 PM
P.S. Calvin and Hobbes is my favorite comic strip of all-time, along with Garfield. I have all of the books.

I have several Garfield books too.  IMHO, the strip was at its best for the first two books, then quickly diminished in quality.  I don't like how Garfield became more human–both in appearance and movement.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hm insulators

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 08, 2017, 05:55:49 PM
The major reason Bill Watterson ended his strip was because of all the pressure he received from people who wanted to "license" and "merchandize" his creation. Watterson only wanted Calvin and Hobbes to be a comic strip, nothing more. He spent years fighting to keep his strip from being licensed. In Calvin and Hobbes: Sunday Pages, 1985-1995, Watterson described his 10 years drawing the strip as "a wonderful experience, but an all-consuming career."

Exactly. Bill Watterson just basically got sick and tired of dealing with the syndicate.

"Calvin and Hobbes" is my favorite strip of all time.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Desert Man

Calvin and Hobbes fan here, I have all their comic strips books (from 1985 to the last on New Years eve 1995). Calvin and Hobbes is among the funniest and most humorous comic strips there is. And too bad it's no longer produced by Bill Watterson, in fact a movie "Dear Mr Watterson" about the creator was made by fans interested in his work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtmV7-f_j7Y
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

csw

I love Calvin and Hobbes! I've got all the books and reread them every so often. I always love the Spaceman Spiff and G.R.O.S.S. strips. I think I also cut out the Pearls Before Swine strips from the newspaper when they ran.

I love newspaper comics, I have a shelf full of books. FoxTrot, Pearls Before Swine, Calvin and Hobbes, Get Fuzzy, The Far Side, you name it. Probably at least 50 books.

mgk920

Quote from: csw on May 19, 2017, 10:17:36 PM
I love Calvin and Hobbes! I've got all the books and reread them every so often. I always love the Spaceman Spiff and G.R.O.S.S. strips. I think I also cut out the Pearls Before Swine strips from the newspaper when they ran.

I love newspaper comics, I have a shelf full of books. FoxTrot, Pearls Before Swine, Calvin and Hobbes, Get Fuzzy, The Far Side, you name it. Probably at least 50 books.

In some for or another, I have the complete run (to last Sunday) of Prince Valiant.

As for Calvin, one of his standout strips was one where he and Hobbs, dressed in 19th century western USA frontier outfits, angrily: "This town just isn't big enough fer the both of us!!!" "Yea, I recon we'll have to annex part o' the county!"

:spin:

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.