News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Misheard song lyrics

Started by golden eagle, December 18, 2014, 07:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

Many of us have a day off, so there's time for TV Tropes: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Mondegreen

A fun variation is Songs Commonly Called by the Wrong Title (Teenage Wasteland, Sending out an SOS, etc.)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

bandit957

Might as well face it, pooing is cool

jeffandnicole

Or the recent Verizon commercials where they intentionally used people's subliminal mindset with the "half fast" internet or whatever they were talking about. 

bandit957

Quote from: golden eagle on December 18, 2014, 07:06:30 PM
We all sang along to songs thinking that we were singing the correct lyrics, only to find out later that we had it wrong. For instance "The Promise" by When In Rome:

Actual lyric: I'm sorry, but I'm just thinking of the right words to say.

What I used to think they said: I'm sure but I'm just thinking that the ride was safe.

In this song, which was heard frequently on the old wLAP-FM (when they weren't ripping LAP bunker blasts), I thought that line had something to do with "The 5 Man", who was a guy with a 5 on his shirt in an old Atari game I had.

I thought of a few more from the '70s: In the song "Alive Again" by Chicago, I thought the line "I am alive again" was "I am a lima bean." And in the song "December 1963" by the Four Seasons, I thought the opening line "Oh what a night" was "Oh one eye."

WillWeaverRVA

Surprised no one's mentioned "Hold me closer, Tony Danza" yet.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

cl94

Even Flow by Pearl Jam. I've heard the entire thing sung with the wrong lyrics.

Losing My Religion by REM.
Should be "That's me in the corner", heard by many as "let's pee in the corner..." or some variation.

Dancing Queen by ABBA. When I first heard it, I thought it was about tangerines.

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

bandit957

I just thought of a hilarious one, which was "Forever Man" by Eric Clapton. Back when that song was popular, everyone thought he said, "Won't you be my bald-headed woman, I'll try to be your bald-headed man."

bandit957

Quote from: bandit957 on December 23, 2014, 08:55:06 PMBut no popular song had as many misheard lines as "Holding On" by Steve Winwood. Practically every line was misheard in a hilarious way.

Another song like this was "Heart Don't Fail Me Now" by Holly Knight. I don't what made me think of this just now, since I haven't heard it on the radio since I was 15. That song was full of misheard lyrics - some of them R-rated.

golden eagle

Earlier tonight, I heard "Head Over Heels" by the Go-Go's. I used think Belinda Carlisle was saying, "Get over here".

bandit957

Quote from: golden eagle on January 04, 2015, 12:27:08 AM
Earlier tonight, I heard "Head Over Heels" by the Go-Go's. I used think Belinda Carlisle was saying, "Get over here".

There was a line in the chorus of that song where I used to think they said, "Just like the toilet and the sink."

Henry

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on December 31, 2014, 02:25:03 PM
Surprised no one's mentioned "Hold me closer, Tony Danza" yet.
Tiny Dancer from Elton John! That one made me LOL!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

TheHighwayMan3561

For a long time I thought the background vocals of "Eminence Front" said "Baby let's fuck!" (it's "eminence front")

Also thought Robert Plant sang "fuck a while with me" (it's "walk") in Over The Hills and Far Away for a time.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Pete from Boston

For about twenty years I thought Steve Winwood's "Valerie" was "Finally."

vdeane

I keep hearing one line in Taylor Swift's Blank Space as "come on you Starbucks lovers".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

golden eagle

"The Way It Is" by Bruce Hornsby & the Range:

Lyric: Standing in line, marking time, waiting for the welfare dime...

What I thought he said: Standing in line, monkeying time, waiting for a worthy dime...

spooky

Quote from: vdeane on January 08, 2015, 01:43:04 PM
I keep hearing one line in Taylor Swift's Blank Space as "come on you Starbucks lovers".

I hear that too. Just checked the lyrics and apparently it's "got a long list of ex-lovers".

bandit957

I thought of one for another song you don't hear much on the radio anymore - "My Town" by the Michael Stanley Band. Real line: "Been down, but we still rock on." Misheard line: "Been down, but we steal a lot of gum."

Henry

For many years, I always heard a verse in the UB40 hit start off with "Red red wine, you've met my feet so fine, keep me rocking all of the time..."

Damn those Jamaicans and their charming accents!

(The actual line is "Red red wine, you've made me feel so fine, keep me rocking all of the time...")
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

golden eagle

"Lithium" by Nirvana...

Lyric: "We broke our mirrors, Sunday morning"
What I thought I heard: "Broke I'm is, Sunday morning"

1995hoo

I heard "Eminence Front" on the radio yesterday and couldn't help but think of this thread. I'm really glad I heard it on the way BACK from a job interview. Having "unlimited fuck" running through my head at the interview might have been a bad thing.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bandit957

I remember when I first heard the song "Leader Of The Band" by Dan Fogelberg. The chorus went, "I'm just a living legacy to the leader of the band." But when I first heard it, I thought he said, "I'm just a living magazine to the leader of the band."

roadman65

I used to think that Quite Riot's Cum On Feel The Noise used to say "Girls fuck your boys" instead of what it really says "Girls rock your boys."

Then Pass The Dutchie I used to think that a woman's body part was being said instead of Dutchie.

Then the children's song John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt I first thought was John Jacob Jingleheimer Shit for a good reason.  The kids in my first and second grade class would purposely sing the song that way.  Then later on hearing the song for real on a recording is when I learned that a real song was recorded with that particular name minus the s word but with the proper s word.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

CNGL-Leudimin

Boys will be Boys by Paulina Rubio has a pretty hilarious one for those who have Spanish as mother language like me: Where she sings 'They like to play around', she appears to say 'Se la chupé a Ralph', which I don't dare to translate as is... suggestive :sombrero:.

Another good one is in the FC Barcelona anthem (written in Catalan): where it says 'Blaugrana al vent' (literally 'Blue-maroon to the wind') it appears to say 'Hala Madrid', so it appears to hail its archenemy Real Madrid :-D.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

cl94

Quote from: roadman65 on January 14, 2015, 11:44:31 AM
I used to think that Quite Riot's Cum On Feel The Noise used to say "Girls fuck your boys" instead of what it really says "Girls rock your boys."

They mean the same thing, but one doesn't anger the censors.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

bandit957

Quote from: cl94 on January 14, 2015, 07:33:05 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 14, 2015, 11:44:31 AM

They mean the same thing, but one doesn't anger the censors.

I remember AM radio and 'American Top 40' deleting the third verse. I don't know whether the commercial single was like that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.