News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cleaning Backup Camera

Started by vdeane, January 20, 2015, 01:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Personally I love the New Yorker approach to this problem - back up slowly until you feel a slight thud from physically bumping into the wall or vehicle behind you, then pull forward a smidge to not leave your car touching it. Very easy to place yourself perfectly, and eh, who gives a shit about a few little dents and scratches in the fender? :awesomeface:

But I of course will only do this when driving my own car. And then only when I am in New York City, since as far as I'm aware it is not a commonly accepted practice anywhere else.

It will be interesting to see if this practice goes away once backup cameras become standard equipment on all vehicles.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

DaBigE

Quote from: Brandon on January 25, 2015, 10:35:06 AM
Backup camera?  Don't have one, never needed one except on the RV we rented once.  Try adjusting your mirrors and, if all else fails, actually turn your head to look behind you after inspecting the back of the vehicle before actually backing up.

With older cars, I would totally agree. However, for various reasons (rear crash protection, artistic design, etc.) the top of the trunk is creeping ever higher and the rear window ever smaller (check out some of the comments in the more recent MSP police vehicle evaluations regarding ergonomics and visibility). Because of that increasing blind spot, it's getting harder to judge where the true back of the car is.

I don't have a camera on my current car, but I do have sensors built into the rear bumper (radar? ultrasonic?) that are tied to the car's stereo system (came with the car). Worth every penny...IMO. Used in addition to turning the head and using the mirrors of course.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.