News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tech advances lower chance that driver will die in car crash

Started by cpzilliacus, January 29, 2015, 03:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

AP via WTOP Radio: Tech advances lower chance that driver will die in car crash

QuoteThe chances of a driver dying in a crash in a late-model car or light truck fell by more than a third over three years, and nine car models had zero deaths per million registered vehicles, according to a study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

QuoteImproved vehicle designs and safety technology have a lot to do with the reduced risk, but a weak economy that led to reductions in driving may also have played a role, the institute said.

QuoteThe study, which examined fatalities involving 2011 model year vehicles, looked at how many driver fatalities occurred in a particular model over the course of a year of operation, expressed as a rate per million registered vehicle years. It found there was an average of 28 driver deaths per million registered vehicle years through the 2012 calendar year, down from 48 deaths for 2008 models through 2009.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Crazy Volvo Guy

I would argue that some of these tech advances, while lowering fatalities, may also be ultimately causing more accidents.  Driver aids are creating an attitude amongst younger folks especially that moderately distracted driving is okay, "because the car will _______ for me."  The results of such an attitude would not be good results.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

dcbjms

^ I agree.  Mom has been developing that attitude ever since we got a new car.  Me, I can't drive to save myself but maybe just to prove to her that I can do it without the fancy gadgets (well, except the heated seats and steering wheel - I ain't givin' that up!).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.