News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Drinks that you didn't know existed

Started by mcdonaat, January 30, 2015, 11:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcdonaat

Soft drinks, man! What are some drink flavors that you never knew existed, or certain size containers that seem incredible?

Crush is served in orange, diet, strawberry, grape, pineapple, and peach. I never knew that peach and pineapple was actually rare! Also, Sunkist is served to the south of my town in peach, pineapple, and cherry limeade, which we don't have here. I also was unaware that Delaware Punch is a local Coca-Cola product, served nowhere else but Louisiana and parts of eastern Texas.

As far as containers, we have Yoohoo in half gallon cartons, for less than a half gal of regular choc milk. Way to be healthy!

What flavors of drinks do you have in your area that might seem a little different? I heard Canada Dry has an extensive profile of flavors, and so does Nehi (which I've only had grape and peach).

Pete from Boston

mcdonaat

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 31, 2015, 12:15:56 AM

...what is this thing? Also, I have heard of a magical thing called Canada Dry Green Tea ginger ale. I heard they have it on the east coast.

Pete from Boston

Seltzer with cucumber/melon  flavor.  The taste is like a zapote smoothie I had at a Salvadorean place once, and since that's probably not helpful, it tastes a little like squash (which, along with cukes and melons, are gourds, so there you go). 

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Pete from Boston

Quote from: NE2 on January 31, 2015, 08:24:46 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urophagia

"Drink waters out of thine own cistern, and running waters out of thine own well."

–Proverbs 5:15

hotdogPi

You could probably add a whole bunch of drinks that are half of one thing and half of another. If they have been combined at least once, they exist. (Iced tea and lemonade is a common one, but there probably have been many one-time experiments of other drink combinations.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

hbelkins

I'd never heard of birch beer until Lou Corsaro traded me some for some Ale-8 a couple of years ago.

Also, A Treat Cola.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NJRoadfan

I never heard of Cheerwine until visiting NC.

Red draft Birch Beer is a NJ/Eastern PA thing. Its popular enough to spawn store brand versions.

cjk374

Quote from: mcdonaat on January 30, 2015, 11:53:43 PM
I also was unaware that Delaware Punch is a local Coca-Cola product, served nowhere else but Louisiana and parts of eastern Texas.

Having lived here in Louisiana all of my life, I never knew that Delaware Punch was just a local drink.  My mom always made sure we had plenty on ice when we would take trips to the lake.  No wonder my brother buys 2 cases of it when he goes back home to NC.

As far as containers, we have Yoohoo in half gallon cartons, for less than a half gal of regular choc milk. Way to be healthy!

Yoohoos....BLECH!!!  X-(  :ded: If they were ever pulled off the shelves for life, I would not miss them!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

sbeaver44

Quote from: hbelkins on January 31, 2015, 09:36:35 PM
Also, A Treat Cola.

Well, maybe.  They closed down last month, but there's hopes of revival.  http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/allentown/index.ssf/2015/02/saving_a-treat_deal_possibly_i.html

I can't drink soda anymore (Crohn's) but their grapefruit was as close to Wink as I could get.

OCGuy81

There is a soda I've seen in Texas called Big Red.  I don't think I've ever seen it in California.

Also, on this topic, at the Coca Cola store on the Vegas strip, they'll let you try different types of sodas from around the world.  There are some really interesting flavors.  I remember liking a plum soda from Japan.

TheStranger

Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 05, 2015, 01:27:32 PM
There is a soda I've seen in Texas called Big Red.  I don't think I've ever seen it in California.

I've actually seen Big Red and its sister drink Big Blue (the latter which I like better) at some convenience stores out here, i.e. back when I worked in downtown Sacramento.
Chris Sampang

kphoger

Birch beer has been around for decades, guys...  It's not nearly as popular nowadays, but it used to be found along with such as root beer etc.

Anyway...  All I know is, they keep offering limited-time flavors that I absolutely love and then yanking them out from under me.  Flavors I wish would come back as permanent offerings:
Sprite Remix
Sunkist Solar Fusion
Pepsi Vanilla with Real Sugar
Pepsi Next Paradise Mango (apparently this one still exists but not in my area???).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

OCGuy81

QuoteAnyway...  All I know is, they keep offering limited-time flavors that I absolutely love and then yanking them out from under me.  Flavors I wish would come back as permanent offerings:
Sprite Remix
Sunkist Solar Fusion
Pepsi Vanilla with Real Sugar
Pepsi Next Paradise Mango (apparently this one still exists but not in my area???).

I remember some of those.

Am I the only one who wouldn't mind seeing Crystal Pepsi come back?? (walks sheepishly away)    :-P

ajlynch91

Not exactly what the topic was going for, but I really miss Pepsi Blue. It was the only Pepsi drink I actually liked.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: sbeaver44 on February 05, 2015, 01:19:46 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 31, 2015, 09:36:35 PM
Also, A Treat Cola.

Well, maybe.  They closed down last month, but there's hopes of revival.  http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/allentown/index.ssf/2015/02/saving_a-treat_deal_possibly_i.html

I can't drink soda anymore (Crohn's) but their grapefruit was as close to Wink as I could get.

I haven't been to Allentown in a few years now, but my local hardware store had one of these until recently:

I have thought about asking if they still have it and buying it from them.

Pete from Boston

I know this exists now, but I didn't before I shopped at Market Basket, which keeps this ancient brand alive in its store-label line:

on_wisconsin

The Appletini - Didn't know it was thing until Scrubs made it popular.

The lack of booze in this thread is surprising and demoralizing.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

kphoger

OK, then. Aguardiente. I had never heard of it until I was at a vineyard in Mexico a year or two ago, asked for a bottle of brandy, they were out, then they suggested I get the aguardiente instead.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: on_wisconsin on February 05, 2015, 10:42:20 PM
The Appletini - Didn't know it was thing until Scrubs made it popular.

The lack of booze in this thread is surprising and demoralizing.

It's because the OP stated specifically "soft" drinks. 

noelbotevera

PA Dutch birch beer - if you live within a 60 mile radius of Harrisburg, you know this stuff.
On the PA Turnpike service plazas (as I was able to find) between Highspire and Valley Forge/King of Prussia to Lawn, there is this sort of fruit punch that is a little more interesting than other brands. No idea what it's called (hey, as a kid, you've got some benefits to being young).

mcdonaat

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 03, 2015, 08:52:35 PM
PA Dutch birch beer - if you live within a 60 mile radius of Harrisburg, you know this stuff.
This. I found it at an Amish store in Mansura, Louisiana, and it tastes pretty good! There's also a Pennsylvania Cream Soda and other stuff as well. Tastes more like a rootbeer mixed with licorice.

txstateends

Quote from: TheStranger on February 05, 2015, 01:30:26 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 05, 2015, 01:27:32 PM

I've actually seen Big Red and its sister drink Big Blue (the latter which I like better) at some convenience stores out here, i.e. back when I worked in downtown Sacramento.

They also make a Big Peach.  Like Big Blue, it's not as widely available as Big Red.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

txstateends

Sunkist is served to the south of my town in peach, pineapple, and cherry limeade, which we don't have here.

I just saw someone the other day with a Sunkist in grape.  I had no idea about it either.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.