News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Businesses that have bad smells

Started by roadman65, February 03, 2015, 06:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Some Walmarts stink. I complained about it and they said it was because birds would fly into the store, shit all over the place, and die in the rafters. I don't know whether to believe that or not because it was more of a poo smell and less of a death smell. Some EZ Mart convenience stores smell like shit as well.

bugo

Chicken houses stink really bad. Chickenshit is a distinct odor: it isn't the typical poo smell, it's more of an ammonia type odor and can be detected from several hundred feet away. Hog farms smell even worse. I would put a bullet in my head if i had to live on a hog farm.

spooky

Quote from: GCrites80s on February 03, 2015, 08:39:32 PM
I don't like the way Subway restaurants smell. I think it's the American cheese they use.

I always figured it was the bread. They do have a distinctive smell, though.

DandyDan

Quote from: Jardine on February 03, 2015, 10:18:44 AM
The rendering plant SW of Dennison is just nasty.  Blech !
I believe (I don't know for sure whether it's true) that they have to have one right in the center of Omaha.  You can really smell it if the wind is blowing right at the I-80/I-480/US 75 interchange.

The one that really catches me off guard is the bakery next to my job, or at least it did before I got used to it.  Sometimes, it smells like a bakery and sometimes, I'm not quite sure what it is.  But it permeates it's way through the building I work in.

Last, but not least, is any strip club, complete with stale beer and stale perfume.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Pete from Boston

Quote from: bugo on February 03, 2015, 11:48:14 PM
Some Walmarts stink. I complained about it and they said it was because birds would fly into the store, shit all over the place, and die in the rafters.

Oh, is that all.  Well, nothing to be concerned about, then. 

oscar

Quote from: golden eagle on February 03, 2015, 05:08:12 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 03, 2015, 01:19:12 PM
Pulp mills, in places as diverse as South Carolina, Maryland, Maine, Finland and Sweden always seem to emit a distinctive odor that can be pretty foul at times.

I once crossed the Mississippi River at Natchez, and there was a foul order as I got into Vidalia, LA. I believe there's a mill there. That may also explain the stench the time I was in the Monroe/West Monroe area.

Indeed, there was a paper mill in West Monroe last few times I've driven through on I-20, and the stench is noticeable by passing motorists on the freeway.

But not as bad as the giant stockyard along I-5 in California's Central Valley.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Zeffy

Something along the New Jersey Turnpike smells like something fierce, as I learned the last time I had to drive into New York City and decided to use the Turnpike. I made the mistake of having my windows down (it wasn't too cold and my car was pretty hot) as I approached the exit for the Goethals Bridge. Oh man, I don't know WHAT I smelled there, but I instantly closed my windows after the stench wafted up my nostrils. It didn't help though, it already invaded my car.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

SteveG1988

Quote from: Zeffy on February 04, 2015, 10:10:42 AM
Something along the New Jersey Turnpike smells like something fierce, as I learned the last time I had to drive into New York City and decided to use the Turnpike. I made the mistake of having my windows down (it wasn't too cold and my car was pretty hot) as I approached the exit for the Goethals Bridge. Oh man, I don't know WHAT I smelled there, but I instantly closed my windows after the stench wafted up my nostrils. It didn't help though, it already invaded my car.

Chemical Plants and Refineries. Possibly low tide adding to it. Was it a Sulfur like smell?
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Zeffy

Quote from: SteveG1988 on February 04, 2015, 10:14:48 AM
Chemical Plants and Refineries. Possibly low tide adding to it. Was it a Sulfur like smell?

Probably was, I've never smelled sulfur so I wouldn't know. All I know is that it smelled like someone took a monster dump right in my face.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Zeffy on February 04, 2015, 10:19:41 AM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on February 04, 2015, 10:14:48 AM

Probably was, I've never smelled sulfur so I wouldn't know. All I know is that it smelled like someone took a monster dump right in my face.

The large Bayway refinery is right there.  It's the primary source of some unpleasant generalizations about the fragrance of New Jersey, now that the dumps and pig farms in the Meadowlands are closed.

roadman65

If you want to talk about bad smells, how about the ones emitted on I-190 in New York between I-290 and the South Grand Island Bridge. 

I think that was the worst smell (next to paper mills in GA) that I have ever witnessed.  I do not know what it was, but was glad to get out of that industrial area fast.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

OCGuy81

Another business that comes to mind as having an awful smell is those mall stores that sell cologne and perfume.  Can't see how a person would work in one without getting all sorts of headaches!

Pete from Boston

I love the stink of spent grain at breweries, though I could see it being unpleasant for some.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kkt

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 04, 2015, 06:04:27 PM
KFC.

That is all.

Yes.  I used to like A&W, but many have closed and most of the ones remaining in the U.S. are joint A&W/KFC and they all smell like chicken grease.  Now I have to go to Canada for my A&W fix.  (Which is probably just as well, really.)

roadman65

I used to work in room service at one of the infamous Westgate Resorts in Orlando, and one time I delivered food to this one couple.   The girl was absolutely gorgeous and was one that could be a professional model/ actress type, yet the guy she was with had the worst case of bo ever!  It was disgusting and made me totally sick, especially when they invited me inside to gather the cash to pay for the food.  He, admittedly, had the worst case of body odor ever that I have every witnessed in my entire life and I have smelled some pretty bad ones over my years of existence too!

How could his wife or girlfriend be around him most of the time and not get sick is beyond me.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Pete from Boston

There are a lot of places in this world where the smell of people doesn't repulse everyone so much that they have to replace it with fictions like "fresh mist" or "cool musk."  It's weirder to need to smell like those things than it is to not be repulsed.  Another so-called problem brought to you by Marketing.

Henry

Stores that smell like urine repulse me.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

formulanone

Hobby Lobby stores have an odd plasticky odor.

NE2

Quote from: formulanone on February 05, 2015, 01:21:04 PM
Hobby Lobby stores have an odd plasticky odor.
That's to give their employees headaches so they won't have sex.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

6a

There is a little bait shop/convenience store on SR 207 in the tiny hamlet of Pancoastburg, about 45 minutes from here. If I buried my face in a bag of week old cat litter it would smell less like piss than this place.

triplemultiplex

I seem to catch a whiff of raw chicken every other time I step into a Buffalo Wild Wings.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

OracleUsr

Waynesville and western Haywood County has a stench still that is unbearable.  It is why I try to avoid Champion Paper at all costs, because of their dioxins befouling the Pigeon River at the Tennessee border.  This was years ago by the way.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.