Drunk Driver Drives on RR Tracks, Blames GPS

Started by Brian556, February 13, 2015, 10:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: Mr. Matté on February 13, 2015, 04:42:47 PM
In real life, only one person (maybe two, the driver and her attorney) should be blaming the GPS device for driving on the tracks, but to my amazement, about 21 out of 22 posters here missing the real reason.

Dr. Frankenstein so far is the only one correctly placing the blame, on the drunk driver.

Obviously driving while impaired is bad and getting incorrect advice from a GPS does not in any way let a drunk driver off the hook.  Or even a sober driver.

But there seem to be a lot of accidents that would be avoided by truck drivers, especially, getting good advice because they were using appropriate GPSs for their vehicles.

The Nature Boy

This is one reason why self-driving cars would potentially be scary. If they are relying on GPSes then we could end up with this happening a lot.

vdeane

Perhaps there should be a law requiring GPS data updates to be FREE and for the devices to have some form of automatic check for updates, perhaps with an automatic bricking of the device if the data gets too old.  Also make it a ticketable offense to be operating a truck with a car GPS.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

Quote from: The Nature Boy on February 13, 2015, 07:09:28 PM
This is one reason why self-driving cars would potentially be scary. If they are relying on GPSes then we could end up with this happening a lot.
Obviously a self-driving car would primarily take its cues from real-world conditions. The problem is when those are confusing (e.g. Roadrunner's example if it didn't have the do not enters).

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on February 13, 2015, 01:19:00 PM
This has proven to be a popular spot for people ending up on railroad tracks, drunk or not:
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.713537,-74.040942&spn=0.000004,0.002626&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=40.713501,-74.041543&panoid=wbVgn0H7zKI0wGHdphu4hQ&cbp=12,315.01,,0,3.31
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Billy F 1988

Why someone would blame the computer (or onboard GPS for that matter) is beyond me. It was her fault that she drove the car on to the tracks where it should never have been to begin with and she ought to be thankful the police called BNSF ahead of time because had there been a BNSF train rolling that night and found her car on the tracks, she'd been toast. More importantly, she would have been better off not drinking alcohol to begin with! So, if you think the railroad is to blame or the GPS, or some other piece of junk, chances are, it's perhaps YOU! And for our buzzed out Camry driver, that's what she gets! Snag the license away, and that will take one less stupid drunk off the road.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

ZLoth

The root cause exists someplace between the car seat and the steering wheel, but I can't figure out where.  :-P
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

NE2

Quote from: ZLoth on February 14, 2015, 03:10:09 AM
The root cause exists someplace between the car seat and the steering wheel, but I can't figure out where.  :-P
PEBSAW

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

It reminds me of the old lady who sued McDonalds for getting burned with Hot Coffee.  It was not for the temp of the coffee that caused her burn, but the entity between the seat and the steering wheel did not exercise caution when handling uhhh a beverage that is always hot.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

Quote from: roadman65 on February 14, 2015, 01:43:18 PM
It reminds me of the old lady who sued McDonalds for getting burned with Hot Coffee.  It was not for the temp of the coffee that caused her burn, but the entity between the seat and the steering wheel did not exercise caution when handling uhhh a beverage that is always hot.
Coffee is NOT normally nearly as hot as McDonalds serves it.  I'm pretty sure the temperature of their coffee was even deemed unfit for human consumption.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US81

Hot beverages are usually about 140F, McDonald's sells their coffee at 190F. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald%27s_Restaurants

Brian556

quote from Roadman 65:
QuoteIt reminds me of the old lady who sued McDonalds for getting burned with Hot Coffee.  It was not for the temp of the coffee that caused her burn, but the entity between the seat and the steering wheel did not exercise caution when handling uhhh a beverage that is always hot.

I actually think that lawsuit was legit and reasonable. It is very easy to spill coffee. Happens all the time. There is no need for them to serve it at such a high temperature.

6a

Quote from: US81 on February 14, 2015, 01:58:32 PM

Hot beverages are usually about 140F, McDonald's sells their coffee at 190F. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald%27s_Restaurants
The coffee machines we run are set at 202F.

slorydn1

Quote from: vdeane on February 14, 2015, 01:49:30 PM
Coffee is NOT normally nearly as hot as McDonalds serves it.  I'm pretty sure the temperature of their coffee was even deemed unfit for human consumption.

Oh I don't know, I consumed plenty of it before and after that lawsuit. I consumed it just fine before she spilled hers and the last time I looked in the mirror I'm human. For years afterwards, thanks to the ridiculous monetary award she got for her own screw up I couldn't get anything but luke warm, barely drinkable coffee from a McD's. It has gotten somewhat better the last few years, maybe they have begun to crank the heat back up again?
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

kkt

Learn something about the case.  The coffee was served at over 200 F., much hotter than coffee should be served or was served at other restaurants.  The woman was not in the driver's seat, she was a passenger and the car was stationary.  She suffered 3rd degree burns over most of her seat.  Does spilled coffee normally do that?  I don't think so.  She asked McDonald's to cover her hospital bills and nothing else.  McDonald's refused, so lawyers were called in.

roadman65

Quote from: kkt on February 14, 2015, 02:21:04 PM

Learn something about the case.  The coffee was served at over 200 F., much hotter than coffee should be served or was served at other restaurants.  The woman was not in the driver's seat, she was a passenger and the car was stationary.  She suffered 3rd degree burns over most of her seat.  Does spilled coffee normally do that?  I don't think so.  She asked McDonald's to cover her hospital bills and nothing else.  McDonald's refused, so lawyers were called in.

The point is, whether the coffee was 110 degrees or 200 degrees you still exercise caution!  Even when you make mistakes, you accept them and do not blame other people for them.  Heck I burned myself  a few times with hot cheese dripping off a slice of pizza, you did not see me get a lawyer and sue the pizza place that cooked the pizza.  It was my fault or an act of nature that it happened.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Pete from Boston

There's nothing to be gained from brewing coffee that hot except the illusion that your coffee is fresher because it's undrinkably hot.

ZLoth

And people wonder why I don't drink coffee. But, then again, I was stuck in the era of badly made coffee that was often compared with motor oil.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 14, 2015, 02:50:33 PM
There's nothing to be gained from brewing coffee that hot except the illusion that your coffee is fresher because it's undrinkably hot.

I agree, I like my coffee to be mildly hot. Even when I get my coffee from Dunkin, I give it a few seconds to cool down before I start to drink it.

kkt

Quote from: roadman65 on February 14, 2015, 02:27:06 PM

The point is, whether the coffee was 110 degrees or 200 degrees you still exercise caution!  Even when you make mistakes, you accept them and do not blame other people for them.  Heck I burned myself  a few times with hot cheese dripping off a slice of pizza, you did not see me get a lawyer and sue the pizza place that cooked the pizza.  It was my fault or an act of nature that it happened.

Did you have to go to the hospital and need reconstructive surgery?

NE2

Whoa, I'm proud of you guys.

Anyway, the point is that had the coffee been normal temperature, her actions might have not been the smartest, but she would merely have some pain, not fused labia. I'm unable to think of a proper analogy to the GPS case; perhaps someone can make something from the GPS telling him they're an abandoned railroad and he should drive on it.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman65 on February 14, 2015, 02:27:06 PM

I'm going to use that "Act of Nature" line next time I spill something on myself.  I'll give Fate the finger for good measure. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.