News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

TV and Radio Personalities you once loved that are no more

Started by roadman65, February 14, 2015, 02:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Warner Wolf WCBS New York TV.  His famous catch phrase "Lets go to the video tape."

Lloyd Lindsay Young WWOR Secaucus, NJ Weatherman- Hellooooooooooooo.

Gene Clavin Radio Personality on WNEW AM Radio- His humor and his own created       Trevor the traffic reporter which he characterized as well as many other characters on his morning drive show.

Dave Herman, DJ on the now defunct WNEW FM, where rock lived.  Nothing humorous, but he had a good show not being a shock jock, but able to balance music with talk really well.  Good for listening in the car on the way to work in the morning.

Scott Muni-  With his deep raspy voice, was an icon on WNEW FM and had a great career not only as a DJ, but as a reporter for interviewing many rock artists in his tenor who is now gone forever.

How about some out there you remember that have passed away, or retired completely.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

slorydn1

Stuart "BOO-yow" Scott for sure.

Growing up in Chicago in the 80's, we had 3 of the greatest local sports announcers of all time:

Jack Brickhouse ("HEY HEY!!!"), Harry Carry ("HOLY COW"), and Jim Durham ("The only sure things in life are death, taxes, and a John Paxson 18 foot jump shot").
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

DeaconG

John Facenda of WCAU in Philly, the voice of NFL Films.

Also Georgie Woods and Butterball on WDAS-AM.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

1995hoo

Glenn Brenner of WUSA-9 in DC. Longtime sports anchor collapsed after running the 1991 Marine Corps Marathon and died of a brain tumor about two months later. He was succeeded by Warner Wolf, the same guy Brenner had replaced in 1977.

(Parts 2 and 3 linked on the video page if you open YouTube.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SidS1045

We lost one yesterday...Gary Owens, who coined the phrase "beautiful downtown Burbank."
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

US81

My parents were fans of Paul Harvey "Stand by for News!" and "The Rest of the Story" so I heard it often as a child. Even back then, his oratory seemed a bit old-fashioned. As an adult, I listened sporadically until he went off the air shortly before his death in 2009. Always made me feel nostalgic.

bandit957

Casey Kasem comes immediately to mind.

Anyone know what happened to Carmine Guzman? He had a great talk show on Cincinnati radio in the mid-'90s, then he dropped from sight. Nobody knows what ever happened to him.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bing101

Stan Chambers KTLA Los Angeles is gone he was the last person who worked in the Los Angeles TV market from the days when TV was considered a start up operation to the app age.

Jerry Dunphy of KCAL 9 News died in 2002 for from the Desert to the sea phrase.

Pete Wilson Talk Show Host of KGO-Am San Francisco, KGO ABC 7 news, KRON 4 News in the Bay area and KTXL 40 News Sacramento died in 2007. But he was known for putting the Hayward fault to national attention and for broadcasting the Loma Prieta quake in 1989.

DTComposer

I'll agree with Paul Harvey as mentioned above...he was kind of the Reader's Digest of radio news, but hearing him always took me back to childhood, riding in my mom's car.

Quote from: bing101 on February 14, 2015, 08:20:58 PM
Stan Chambers KTLA Los Angeles is gone he was the last person who worked in the Los Angeles TV market from the days when TV was considered a start up operation to the app age.

Jerry Dunphy of KCAL 9 News died in 2002 for from the Desert to the sea phrase.

Pete Wilson Talk Show Host of KGO-Am San Francisco, KGO ABC 7 news, KRON 4 News in the Bay area and KTXL 40 News Sacramento died in 2007. But he was known for putting the Hayward fault to national attention and for broadcasting the Loma Prieta quake in 1989.

KGO-AM had a slew of great personalities when it was one of the few (perhaps the only) talk radio stations with entirely local hosts. Owen Spann was a talk radio pioneer who passed on around 2002(?).

Many of the other hosts are sill with us, but were dispersed when Cumulus bought out KGO, trashed the format and fired most of the hosts. Unsurprisingly, the switch to all-news sunk their ratings (there is already an all-news station in town) and they've been changing back to more talk the last few months.

bing101

Al Hart of KCBS-AM San Francisco Is out of the spotlight

Hal Fishman and Larry McCormick of KTLA 5 News has been deceased for close to a decade.

Lloyd Lindsay Young is not in NYC but does segments for Iheart News was recently at KGO-AM until the last decade

http://ktla.com/2015/02/13/jaime-chambers-remembers-grandfather-stan-chambers-he-was-the-real-deal/

http://ktla.com/2015/02/13/photos-stan-chambers-through-the-years/

http://ktla.com/2015/02/13/journalists-colleagues-friends-remember-legendary-newsman-stan-chambers/

Stan Chambers of KTLA dead at 91

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spnd5K9efSM
Bob Simon of CBS News Dead at 71

bing101

Pete from Boston

Quote from: SidS1045 on February 14, 2015, 06:13:03 PM
We lost one yesterday...Gary Owens, who coined the phrase "beautiful downtown Burbank."

No!  Not Space Ghost!

cjk374

I too enjoyed Paul Harvey news, and it was because I would listen to him with my mom in the car. 

In the 80s, CBS's morning news show uses Warner Wolf on Friday mornings (IIRC) for a sports blooper/amazing play spot.  That was the best part of the whole news show for me.

We listened to Casey Kasem every Sunday morning for American Top 40, ;and we watched Scooby Doo everyday after school seeing if his voice would appear in another character other than Shaggy...RIP Mr. Kasem.

Kid Kraddic died in 2013 of a heart attack at a very young age.  I only heard his show when in the NOLA area, but I enjoyed listening.

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

bing101

VanAmburg of KGO ABC 7 News he was removed in 1986 but unknown if he is even alive.

Dr. Don Rose KFRC 610 dead back in 2005

vdeane

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Peter Jennings yet.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US71

Wally Phillips, Roy Leonard, Bob Collins  WGN Radio

Gary Owens

David Brinkley

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cjk374

I can't believe I forgot Charles Kuralt.  I watched him host "Sunday Morning", but never got to see his "On the Road" series.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

golden eagle

Around here, Woodie Assad, who was the longtime weatherman at WLBT-TV. He supposedly has done more weather broadcasts than any other person on TV.

Pete from Boston

Here we had David Brudnoy on the radio.  Brudnoy was sharp, intellectually honest, and held more conservative views than I do, but he took all callers with deeply respectful scrutiny of their ideas.  He was a much better political talk radio host than almost any of them around now, but sadly dignity like his hasn't appeared much since he died ten or so years ago.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman65 on February 14, 2015, 02:16:02 PM
Warner Wolf WCBS New York TV.  His famous catch phrase "Lets go to the video tape."

Before that on WTOP-TV (CBS), now WUSA-TV.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Roadrunner75

In the Philadelphia area:

Gary Papa, the sports anchor on Action News (Channel 6), who died a few years ago of cancer at a relatively young age.

Before him and also on Action News, in the 80s, Jim O'Brien was a popular weatherman who died in a skydiving accident.

I most miss Dave Roberts, a weatherman at Action News who retired about five years ago (still with us though).  The 6pm newscast wasn't complete without Dave standing on the studio lawn next to City Line Avenue acknowledging the "honkers" as they passed by.  Final broadcast:

Not looking forward to Jim Gardner going, when that day comes...

kurumi

From the SF Bay Area:

Thuy Vu, with the coolest name in the news business and a very smooth NPR delivery. (I think she's still around; I just stopped getting news from TV and radio many years ago).

Not loved but notorious from the past: helmet-haired Terilyn Joe, who had many admirers and detractors.

Also: Alex Bennett, Mark Hamilton, Steve Masters and Big Rick Stuart at Live 105 (alternative rock back in the day; sadly they have decayed into pretty much a clone of Mix 106)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

roadman65

In the New York area we used to have a man name Roger Grimsby, who I did not know that well growing up because my parents liked Chuck Scarborough and Rolland Smith. So Channel 7, where he anchored the 6 o clock news, we never watched.

I heard some interesting stories about him and I wish I could have seen them in action.  I cannot say what I heard about him as I have no proof of what he did, if he did them, etc.  Just miss him because he sounded very interesting and he seemed very opinionated at a lot of things that is what made him the talk of the town as it did appear that he had a mouth that got him into trouble at times.

Also I would like to know who the drunk TV news anchor was that got fired in NYC for showing up on the air shit faced and said the wrong thing during the broadcast not allowing him to complete the news for that particular evening.  The person who told me said that his name was at the tip of her tongue, but could not remember. She also said this anchor was also as opinionated as Grimsby was when even sober.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

admtrap

Jim Healy.  Been gone 20 years now, but still miss his entertaining sports radio show during rush hour in LA.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.