“Live long and prosper” - Leonard Nimoy has died

Started by rickmastfan67, February 27, 2015, 02:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

hotdogPi

Warning: You only get 10 free articles per month. I assume any past #10 results in a paywall.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

OCGuy81

Heard about this today, and am incredibly saddened by the loss of Leonard Nimoy.

Growing up, Star Trek was one of my favorites, and a show that largely got me interested in sci-fi as an entire genre.

Live long and prosper.  He sure did!

Desert Man

Leonard Nimoy is a good actor on TV and movies (to play a character without emotions like Dr Spock), and he later hosted a paranormal TV show "In Search of". RIP Mr Nimoy, may your legacy in sci-fi and pop culture live long and prosper.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kkt

RIP.  He was the indispensable actor in the original Star Trek.

Pete from Boston

They'll find a way to write him back in.  They always do.

english si

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

roadman

Quote from: Mike D boy on February 27, 2015, 03:18:22 PM
Leonard Nimoy is a good actor on TV and movies (to play a character without emotions like Dr Spock), and he later hosted a paranormal TV show "In Search of". RIP Mr Nimoy, may your legacy in sci-fi and pop culture live long and prosper.
Between the cancellation of the original series and the revival in Star Trek in the early 1980s, Leonard Nimoy was IMO an excellent character actor that appeared in a number of TV shows.  I recall an episode of Columbo where Nimoy played a senior surgeon that was attempting to kill a fellow surgeon by making the death look like natural causes.  Of course, Columbo eventually figured out what the former Mr. Spock was up to.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

cpzilliacus

WSJ.com: Star Trek Actor Leonard Nimoy Dies at 83 - Was famous for role as Spock in TV series and movies

QuoteLeonard Nimoy, the actor best known for playing the cerebral, half-alien Spock on "Star Trek,"  died Friday, according to his talent agent, Bob Gersh. He was 83 years old.

QuoteMr. Nimoy's role, originated on the 1960s science-fiction show, became one of the most recognizable of the 20th century. The character's cool rationality often served as a counterpoint to the histrionics of Captain Kirk, the emotive spaceship commander played by William Shatner.

QuoteSpock's hyperlogical demeanor and pointy ears were made more complex by a brand of ethics summed up in his catch phrase: "Live long and prosper."  
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman on February 27, 2015, 07:14:40 PM
Between the cancellation of the original series and the revival in Star Trek in the early 1980s, Leonard Nimoy was IMO an excellent character actor that appeared in a number of TV shows.

Though maybe his best role on TV outside of Star Trek was before putting on the ears, when he played the role of reporter Judson Ellis in a 1964 episode of the [black and white] Outer Limits entitled I, Robot.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 27, 2015, 07:28:05 PM
Though maybe his best role on TV outside of Star Trek was before putting on the ears, when he played the role of reporter Judson Ellis in a 1964 episode of the [black and white] Outer Limits entitled I, Robot.
Had forgotten about that.  And I agree with you 100%.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

triplemultiplex

Sad news.  Time for a Star Trek binge to remember one of the best characters of all time.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Zoomed in on the thread list on my smart phone, it looked at first to me as though "Leonard Nimoy" was a forum category, like "Traffic Control".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US81

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 27, 2015, 07:28:05 PM
Quote from: roadman on February 27, 2015, 07:14:40 PM
Between the cancellation of the original series and the revival in Star Trek in the early 1980s, Leonard Nimoy was IMO an excellent character actor that appeared in a number of TV shows.

He co-starred in this episode with Marianna Hill and John Hoyt, both of whom guest-starred on Star Trek.

PHLBOS

Some priceless moments from the episode I, Mudd: Love Spock's quote about logic at 1:09.

And who can forget this Priceline commercial

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

This song is a favorite of mine: silly, campy, but catchy and clever.  He had a great sense of humor about himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FJkQKVv9UM

US71

Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 04, 2015, 06:25:07 PM
This song is a favorite of mine: silly, campy, but catchy and clever.  He had a great sense of humor about himself.

I was telling someone that yesterday. If he can sing about Bilbo Baggins, he probably had a great sense of humor. :)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Pete from Boston

Quote from: US71 on March 07, 2015, 10:12:32 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 04, 2015, 06:25:07 PM

I was telling someone that yesterday. If he can sing about Bilbo Baggins, he probably had a great sense of humor. :)

He seemed like a fun guy.

Pete from Boston

Also, Leonard Nimoy was cooler than everyone you know.  Check this out:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.