News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Songs that single out another artist

Started by roadman65, March 03, 2015, 04:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 04, 2015, 12:50:16 PM
Does "Money for Nothing" count even though Boy George is not mentioned by name?
It could be argued that Weird Al's version of Money For Nothing is a slap at Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

spooky

Quote from: roadman on March 04, 2015, 01:13:10 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 04, 2015, 12:50:16 PM
Does "Money for Nothing" count even though Boy George is not mentioned by name?
It could be argued that Weird Al's version of Money For Nothing is a slap at Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs.

I don't think any of Weird Al's parodies could be considered or were ever intended to be a slap at the original artist.

formulanone

Quote from: spooky on March 04, 2015, 01:58:25 PM
I don't think any of Weird Al's parodies could be considered or were ever intended to be a slap at the original artist.

Supposedly, he asks the artist or their record label before releasing the work.

bugo

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on March 04, 2015, 11:41:04 AM
Limp Bizkit parodies and mentions Nine Inch Nails in "Hot Dog" (NSFW). Fred Durst says it's affectionate, Trent Reznor says it's an insult.

Durst wishes he had 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the talent Trent does.

golden eagle

Eminem has called out a number of artists. He called out Christina Aguilera in "The Real Slim Shady", along with Chris Kirkpatrick of *NSYNC and Moby on "Without Me". Eminem also collaborated with 50 Cent and Busta Rhymes on "Hail Mary" in 2001. This was in response to Ja Rule using much of 2Pac's "Hail Mary" in his song "So Much Pain". Em, 50 and Busta didn't like it, so that's why they did their version.

IIRC, Jody Watley's "Friends" was in response to Stephanie Mills stealing away a man Jody was dating. I believe it was Andre Cymone.

roadman65

Speaking of Weird Al, many misconceptions about his parodies on Michael Jackson's Beat it.  Many who loved the song Eat It seemed to be those who thought Michael Jackson was a weirdo or did not get into the type of genre he had so they thought it was funny and that Weird Al was poking fun at the pedophile.  However, Weird Al actually loved Jackson's music and did his song because he liked him and his work.

The same with I Lost On Jeopardy, which was Al's parody on Greg Kihn's song Our Love's In Jeopardy as Kihn himself made a cameo in the video of the song.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

GCrites

Metallica's "King Nothing" is about the fall of Axl Rose.

nexus73

Although musical artists are not the target (it's those creative types who make commercials), Neil Young took a real swing at the fences with "This Note's For You".

Alice Cooper sang "I Love The Dead" but he was not referring to the Grateful Dead...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Pete from Boston

John Lennon, in "God":  "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."

Only he could have so agile an ego that he could dismiss and praise himself at once!

Brian556

Quote from John Eagle:
QuoteIIRC, Jody Watley's "Friends" was in response to Stephanie Mills stealing away a man Jody was dating. I believe it was Andre Cymone.

This reminds me of the back story of "Layla"

Grzrd

Quote from: roadman65 on March 03, 2015, 04:08:22 AM
I thought I would find songs that attack other musicians or have a blunt remark about them.

A classic blunt remark is the following from Carly Simon's "You're So Vain":

And all the girls dreamed that they'd be your partner
They'd be your partner, and...
You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you
You're so vain, I'll bet you think this song is about you
Don't you? don't you?

For years, Simon would not reveal who was the subject of the song and candidates included James Taylor, Mick Jagger, Kris Kristofferson, and Warren Beatty.
Interestingly, she finally revealed the subject of the song to be producer David Geffen (I know, I know ...... he is not an "artist" or "musician", but I thought the preceding speculation made the song a fit with this thread).

1995hoo

Quote from: Pete from Boston on March 05, 2015, 02:06:05 PM

Only he could have so agile an ego that he could dismiss and praise himself at once!

That song also mentions Bob Dylan ("I don't believe in Zimmerman").
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 05, 2015, 02:59:22 PM

That song also mentions Bob Dylan ("I don't believe in Zimmerman").

And Elvis.  And some fella called "God" whose career probably only got a boost from the dig.

GCrites

Quote from: GCrites80s on March 05, 2015, 09:55:41 AM
Metallica's "King Nothing" is about the fall of Axl Rose.

I should also add that another song from the Loads, Unforgiven II, would sound way better as a GNR song from the Use Your Illusions LPs.

Henry

True by Spandau Ballet mentions Marvin Gaye, though only his first name is actually mentioned in the lyrics.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Big John

I Dig Rock and Roll Music by Peter Paul and Mary mention The Mama and the Papas, Donovan, and the Beatles,

texaskdog

Quote from: spooky on March 03, 2015, 09:04:19 AM
Quote from: golden eagle on March 03, 2015, 09:01:13 AM
Didn't Taylor Swift have a song or two that took subtle jabs at John Mayer?

There have been endless jilted lover songs; Taylor Swift's just happen to all involve famous singers or actors.

See also Ed Sheeran's "Don't".

Her exes should all get together and make a song about her.

texaskdog

I thought John didn't believe in THE Beatles, it was Yoko who didn't believe in Beatles

bugo

"Precious Things" by Tori Amos references Nine Inch Nails.

Pete from Boston

Mike Watt's "Drove Up From Pedro" states:

"What The Germs did at that gig
Made him do what he finally did"

But we get no explanation of what The Germs did.  It led the Pedro (San Pedro, Cal.) dude in the song to "fit the thunderbroom to the thundertune" and "[stuff] the thing in the hole," so draw your own conclusions.

Dr Frankenstein

Shine on You Crazy Diamond is a song about former Pink Floyd member Syd Barrett.

amroad17

New Radicals' "You Get What You Give" where near the end of the song the singer, Gregg Alexander, calls out Beck, Hanson, Marilyn Manson, and Courtney Love.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

jp the roadgeek

Phish  has a song called David Bowie that is mostly instrumental. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Grzrd

REM mentions Leonard Bernstein and erstwhile musician better known as a Rolling Stone rock critic Lester Bangs in "It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)":

The other night I dreamt a nice continental drift divide
Mountains sit in a line, Leonard Bernstein
Leonid Brezhnev, Lenny Bruce, and Lester Bangs
Birthday party, cheesecake, jellybean, boom
You symbiotic, patriotic, slam but neck, right? Right

bulldog1979

Quote from: Grzrd on March 05, 2015, 02:51:07 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 03, 2015, 04:08:22 AM
I thought I would find songs that attack other musicians or have a blunt remark about them.

A classic blunt remark is the following from Carly Simon's "You're So Vain":

And all the girls dreamed that they'd be your partner
They'd be your partner, and...
You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you
You're so vain, I'll bet you think this song is about you
Don't you? don't you?

For years, Simon would not reveal who was the subject of the song and candidates included James Taylor, Mick Jagger, Kris Kristofferson, and Warren Beatty.
Interestingly, she finally revealed the subject of the song to be producer David Geffen (I know, I know ...... he is not an "artist" or "musician", but I thought the preceding speculation made the song a fit with this thread).

Carly Simon has only ever told one person who the subject of the song is. Warren Buffet bid in an auction for the right to know the subject. In fact, she told Rolling Stone that David Geffen is not the subject of the song 5 years ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.