News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

So I may need surgery.

Started by JMoses24, August 02, 2014, 10:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US81

That's good news!  And I trust that Rehab will go well for you as well. Keep us posted.

Pete from Boston

I told you you were going to get through it.  Onward and upward.

JMoses24

It's a slow and steady push but I am moving forward. 7 days most likely to get home.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: JMoses24 on October 08, 2014, 05:48:55 PM
It's a slow and steady push but I am moving forward. 7 days most likely to get home.

7 days? You should have picked a closer hospital!

(I'll understand if you're under doctors' orders not to laugh at really funny jokes.)

amroad17

Are you at one of the St. Elizabeth Hospitals here in NKY or at UC?  It is really good news to hear that your surgery was a success.  Best wishes to you.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

JMoses24

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 08, 2014, 07:45:34 PM

Quote from: JMoses24 on October 08, 2014, 05:48:55 PM

7 days? You should have picked a closer hospital!

(I'll understand if you're under doctors' orders not to laugh at really funny jokes.)

Haha haha!

No, honestly here's what happened. I left UC Hospital on Monday (10/6) and transitioned to Gateway Rehabilitation Hospital back here in Florence to do some physical and occupational therapy and continue my recovery. I will be going home on Thursday, the 16th. Still facing three months with the collar (which I found out is called a Miami J Collar). When I get home, I'm still fairly restricted and will have in home health care a few times a week.

JMoses24

Heading home tomorrow night at 6, which I cannot wait for. 13 days away from home is too damn long. I have had some blood pressure problems that have had to be addressed (and will continue to be). The stay here was going to be 7-10 days (not the 2+ weeks I thought possible) but there was concern over the weekend whether blood pressure may force a return to UC. It doesn't seem that will be needed.

Roadrunner75

Good luck tomorrow.  I remember counting down the hours to get out of a hospital stay.

JMoses24

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on October 15, 2014, 09:02:31 PM
Good luck tomorrow.  I remember counting down the hours to get out of a hospital stay.

I'm full bore in that countdown now. 21 hours as of this writing at 9:05 PM EDT...

JMoses24

Yeah, so the countdown got sped up by about 7 hours! I made it home, thanks to a special van transport, just before 11 AM EDT. Happy to be out of there. Good to have access to all my stuff again.

US81

Congrats on getting home! That's great news!

amroad17

Seconded!  Glad you are back in familiar territory.  Please keep us posted.

JMoses24

It's definitely good to be home. Of course, stress is not good...and I have that in spades because of insurance. Ugh.

golden eagle

Wishing and praying for the best.

JMoses24

Thanks eagle. As noted, the surgery was a success...so now it's just a 3 month wait to heal. Come spring 2015, I'll be as active as ever, especially if the physical therapy I am getting in-home works as well as I expect.

hm insulators

Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

JMoses24

I wanted to add an update as to what's happened since mid-October.

I have been home for almost 2 months. Last week, I saw the surgeon again and the healing process is going very well. I am now far enough along to where I no longer need to wear my collar 24/7, but not yet far enough along that the doctor is ready to let me do strenuous activity yet (including riding around town in my wheelchair). I can go a short distance, but no further. So I'm slowly weaning (or something like that) myself off the collar, a little bit every day...and the goal is to no longer need it in early January. Once I get cleared by my doctor, it's full steam ahead...because I've got about 20-30 pounds I need to drop. Somehow, when I thought I was 120 pounds, I was actually wheeling around at about 170, which for me is about 20 pounds overweight. (Weighing someone in a wheelchair isn't easy, since special equipment is needed and many doctor's offices don't have it.) Yikes.

My blood pressure remained a major problem until a couple weeks ago -- but that has come down significantly. Specifically, my diastolic (bottom) number was running high, in the 90-110 range, which is not good if it persists for long periods. At my last surgeon's appointment my blood pressure was down to 90/58, much lower than it had been. I don't want it getting lower than that (I've read that that's actually lower than it probably should be) but for now, I will gladly take that.

US81

That's good news so far. Continued best wishes for further recovery!

amroad17

Looking forward to seeing you out and about soon!  If you happen to go to Frisch's 3-L location, I'll buy your meal for you, as I am the current night shift manager there.

hm insulators

Glad your recovery is going well! I'm looking at a hernia operation myself next month.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

JMoses24

Well, I'm hoping today will be the day I'm cleared to start getting out and about more on my own (or as much as winter weather will allow, it's snowing as I write this). I see the surgeon again today at 1:15, with an X-Ray before that to check my progress. I've not been out too much solo since surgery, save going to the WWE house show right after Christmas and a Bengals Nation (local TV show) taping. And when I have, I've taken taxis home so I didn't do much walking. If I'm cleared of course, that's going to change -- I've told my roller derby friends that I might stop by their next scrimmage to say hi and hang out.

Anyway, a few good thoughts would be appreciated tomorrow.

JMoses24

Quote from: amroad17 on December 10, 2014, 09:58:08 PM
Looking forward to seeing you out and about soon!  If you happen to go to Frisch's 3-L location, I'll buy your meal for you, as I am the current night shift manager there.

One day soon I shall take you up on this. :)

US81

Great news. Here's hoping your're cleared 'with flying colors'!

JMoses24

Quote from: US81 on January 06, 2015, 08:35:59 AM
Great news. Here's hoping your're cleared 'with flying colors'!

And that is precisely what happened. I just got back, after having lunch with my stepdad and brother. I'm healed up to the point I no longer need the neck brace, nor do I have to restrict my solo travel! Unless new stenosis shows up (always that chance after you have a fusion like I did), I'm clear!

amroad17

Great to hear!  Looking forward to seeing you again!  :clap:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.