States that have city names the same as large/fairly-sized cities from another

Started by adventurernumber1, August 20, 2014, 10:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: bing101 on September 13, 2014, 10:34:03 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverly_Hills_%28disambiguation%29

All the places with the name Beverly Hills. Incidentally Vallejo happens to have a district named Beverly Hills.

FTFY, and also for all who are in computers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverly_Hills (the correct link) redirects to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverly_Hills,_California.

As for roads going thru two same-named towns, I believe we had a thread about that before. I-70 serves both Salina UT and Salina KS.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

pianocello

Quote from: bing101 on September 12, 2014, 10:57:45 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixon

All the Places with the name Dixon

This can be especially confusing in the Quad City area, with a Dixon in Scott County, IA, about 15 miles away from Davenport, and Dixon, IL, which is a larger town about 50 miles away from Davenport.

Quote from: thenetwork on September 13, 2014, 06:34:45 PM
If you really want to have fun, how about Interstate or US routes that pass through cities with the same name in different states -- not counting border towns like Kansas City, Bristol or Texarkana:

-  US-50 passes through both Delta, Colorado and Delta, Utah (a distance of 317 miles between the two towns).

Others???

I-90 passes through Buffalo, WY, and Buffalo, NY. It also passes a couple miles to the south of both Rochester, MN, and Rochester, NY.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

bing101

There is a Northridge Ohio according to Wikipedia and of course Northridge the Los Angeles district.

bing101

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 10, 2014, 10:49:30 PM

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 10, 2014, 10:00:03 PM
St. Louis, OK.

Many of the towns along US-77 in south-central Oklahoma are named after towns in Pennsylvania, since the people who built the railroad were from Pennsylvania and used familiar names for the train stops along it. Examples include Ardmore, Paoli, and Wynnewood.

I have heard that in Northern Ohio there are Connecticut place names from when it was a part of Connecticut.  A glance at a map shows at least New London and Norwalk.

Norwalk Ct and Norwalk, CA in Los Angeles

Mr. Matté

Princetons in New Jersey and West Virginia; they're both in their state's respective Mercer County as well (though the latter is the county seat).

bing101

yankee.peddler

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on September 14, 2014, 09:16:37 AM
I-91 passes through Springfield, MA and Springfield, VT. They're 81 air miles apart. Springfield, VT only has 9,373 people though (the other has 153,060).

P.S. It almost happens a second time. I-91 passes through both Wethersfield, CT and Weathersfield, VT.

I-91 also passes through Hartford, CT, and Hartford, VT (the town in which White River Junction is located), and Windsor, CT, and Windsor, VT.  I miss New England.
"I'll just stay on 6 all the way to Ely..." J. Kerouac

yankee.peddler

"I'll just stay on 6 all the way to Ely..." J. Kerouac

SP Cook

Quote from: Mr. Matté on September 20, 2014, 09:17:49 PM
Princetons in New Jersey and West Virginia; they're both in their state's respective Mercer County as well (though the latter is the county seat).

Correct.  And Princeton (WV) High is the Tigers, just like the college.  However their colors are blue and white.

sandwalk

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 10, 2014, 10:49:30 PM

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 10, 2014, 10:00:03 PM
St. Louis, OK.

Many of the towns along US-77 in south-central Oklahoma are named after towns in Pennsylvania, since the people who built the railroad were from Pennsylvania and used familiar names for the train stops along it. Examples include Ardmore, Paoli, and Wynnewood.

I have heard that in Northern Ohio there are Connecticut place names from when it was a part of Connecticut.  A glance at a map shows at least New London and Norwalk.

Ah yes.  I am from this area, known as the Firelands.  Citizens of Connecticut who's homes were burned by the British in the Revolutionary War were given land in north central Ohio just south of Lake Erie.

Numerous cities, villages & townships were named after their Connecticut counterparts:
Greenwich, New London, Norwalk, Plymouth, Danbury Twp, Fairfield Twp, Groton Twp, Lyme Twp, New Haven Twp, Norwich Twp, Oxford Twp, Ridgefield Twp

Wikipedia Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firelands

sandwalk

There are also a lot of "New" place names in Ohio as well:

New Albany, New Boston, New Concord, New Knoxville, New Pittsburgh, New Philadelphia, New Washington, etc.

CNGL-Leudimin

Even though they aren't cities, Ariza, Cuba and Ariza, Spain. Guess which one was the destination of the roadtrip I did last Saturday :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jwolfer

Quote from: thenetwork on September 13, 2014, 06:34:45 PM
If you really want to have fun, how about Interstate or US routes that pass through cities with the same name in different states -- not counting border towns like Kansas City, Bristol or Texarkana:

-  US-50 passes through both Delta, Colorado and Delta, Utah (a distance of 317 miles between the two towns).

Others???
US 17.. Jacksonville FL and NC

allniter89

Quote from: Zeffy on August 20, 2014, 11:18:09 PM
Somerville NJ and Somerville MA...

Denton DE and Denton TX

Newark NJ and Newark DE
Denton, MD also
Smyrna, DE & Smyrna, TN
Chester, PA, SC & NY
Ashland, OH, KY, VA
Salisbury MD & NC
New Castle, DE & PA
Wilmington is a more popular name than I woould have thought. Right off the top of my head I know of  DE, OH, NC, MA, IL & CA(?)<--Wiki says Wimington CA is a neighborhood in LA, so...?
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

JMoses24

Florence, KY and Florence, SC
Newport, KY and Newport, RI
Bowling Green, KY and Bowling Green, OH (which is south of Toledo)
Lawrenceburg, IN (near the IN/OH/KY triple point)) and Lawrenceburg, KY (south of Frankfort I believe)
Versailles, IN (west of the aforementioned Lawrenceburg, IN) and Versailles, KY (west of Lexington, and, ironically, east of the aforementioned Lawrenceburg, KY!)

Those are just the ones I could think of.

adventurernumber1

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.