News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Dedicated or phone GPS?

Started by Pink Jazz, November 24, 2014, 11:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stratuscaster

Dedicated sat-nav (thank you, Top Gear) that has regularly updated maps, with a current year paper RMcN as a supplement.

One reason is that there are state and local laws against cell phone use while in the vehicle, but not so much against sat-nav units.

Another is that I can work the sat-nav faster than my phone.

(Garmin nuvi 2595LMT & 1390LMT, in case anyone cares. Refurb units - $80 each.)

1995hoo

I found the sat-nav quite useful Friday night when we were driving around looking at Christmas lights. Originally we just planned to go see one display we visit every year that has 270,000 lights (guy starts putting it up in August), but while we were out we thought of a couple of others we had heard of. Since I knew the street names but not where those streets were, the sat-nav was quite valuable at night on the spur of the moment instead of having to pull off to read a map (since my wife is a poor navigator and would have done worse reading the map at night).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

Just 270,000 lights?  One I saw on Light Fight had 2 million!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on December 14, 2014, 06:01:07 PM
Just 270,000 lights?  One I saw on Light Fight had 2 million!

(Shrugs) Our house has exactly zero outside Christmas lights, in part because our friendly squirrels would chew the cords if we put any on the deck.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.