News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Speaking languages other than English

Started by national highway 1, December 10, 2014, 04:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

national highway 1

In addition to English, I speak Cantonese as well as a little Japanese which I learnt in school.

Anyone else speak any languages other than English?
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

NE2

I only speak two languages, English and Bad English.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Stephane Dumas

hotdogPi

I speak 10 languages, English and Binary.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

adventurernumber1

I speak English and right now I'm taking Spanish in High School.

Buenas tardes. Me gusta mucho dibujar mapas.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Brandon

I speak English, Bureaucratese, and Engineer/Scientist.  :cool:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

I do not speak any languages.  I just point and grunt and occasionally poop.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brian556

Quote from agentsteel 53:
QuoteI just point and grunt and occasionally poop.

When I saw this, I was surprised when I looked to the left and did not see conveniently arranged alphabetical county road markers.

Duke87

I know some Italian but don't ask me to have a conversation in it. I can read it semi-decently but when I hear it spoken aloud it is very difficult to understand more than just a few bits of it.

My skill level with Spanish is somewhat similar. I see writing in Spanish all the time right next to its English equivalent (bilingual advertizing and package labeling, mostly), so I can figure out what a lot of written Spanish means. But if I hear someone speaking it aloud I can't understand shit.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

English and Kentucky Hillbilly.

Quote from: NE2 on December 10, 2014, 04:30:40 PM
Bad English.

I liked John Waite better in The Babys and as a solo artist.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

English, some Spanish, a little Japanese and German, and just enough French to get my face slapped.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

algorerhythms

English, and um pouco de português. According to the Brazilian professor we collaborate with, I sound like a caipira (hillbilly) when I speak Portuguese, because the caipira accent pronounces the letter R the same way as rhotic accents in English do. I sound like a hillbilly in English too, but for different reasons.

oscar

I took four years of high school Spanish, which focused on reading and writing.  When I took the placement test for my college's conversation-focused Spanish program, I placed in first quarter, first year, so four years of high school Spanish did me almost no good.  But I did learn the key Spanish cuss words, from one of my college roommates.  While I can recognize a lot of Spanish words in print or on road signs, I can't converse in that language.

I also know just a smattering of French and Hawaiian.  For French, just about a dozen phrases, plus road sign French, enough for me to get by in multiple visits to Quebec and handle basic traveler transactions, but not enough to hold a real conversation.   

My mother was Italian, but she made sure the kids never learned that language, so she could have "private conversations" over the phone with her Italian friends, right in front of us.  One of my sisters, who is much better than I at picking up foreign languages, later learned Italian. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brian556 on December 10, 2014, 06:06:51 PM
Quote from agentsteel 53:
QuoteI just point and grunt and occasionally poop.

When I saw this, I was surprised when I looked to the left and did not see conveniently arranged alphabetical county road markers.

NE2 does not poop.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Thing 342

I can read and write (but not speak) some Spanish.

jwolfer

My undergraduate degree is in Spanish. I am fluent when I uses it on a regular basis

Pete from Boston

I can have a very long conversation in Spanish (from jr. high and high school only), but it gets tiring because I have to make a lot of roundabout explanations due to not having enough real-world experience.

vtk

English, and enough Spanish to be minimally functional most of the time.

I've had passengers in my van speaking Kentucky Hillbilly and I understood maybe a fifth of it.

I also have some understanding (not enough to be functional) of the structure of French, Italian, Portuguese, and Japanese.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

sammi

I speak a few Philippine languages: Tagalog (which is of course what they teach in school so pretty much everyone speaks it), Pangasinan (from my dad's side), Ilocano (from my mom's side; I've been told my accent is terrible :)).

I took a Mandarin course at my university last year, so I can do some basic conversations. My schedule this year couldn't fit it, so I had to stop (and I haven't been able to practice with a lot of people so I may have forgotten a lot of it), but I might again next year.

I want to have learned French, but the school board said it was too late for me to start French in grade 9, and besides I already knew a second language. I do know a bit though, but:
Quote from: oscar on December 10, 2014, 09:50:23 PM
For French, just about a dozen phrases, plus road sign French, enough for me to get by in multiple visits to Quebec and handle basic traveler transactions, but not enough to hold a real conversation.

cpzilliacus

English, Swedish (reasonably fluent) and a little bit of French. 

And some swear words in Finnish. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kurumi

A few words of Tagalog, Japanese, Korean, Indonesian, Hindi, Farsi, Arabic, French, Spanish, German. Fluent in none of them. Nothing to show off about. Just an amateur language geek who should probably make some choices.

Cool feature on the iPhone: Go to Settings and add some international keyboards (have tried in Korean, Chinese, Japanese). Go to any app where you can type something, and click on the mic for voice dictation. Do Korean, say "kamsa hamnida", and IOS will type out 감사합니다. It doesn't translate, but there's phonetic voice recognition built in. There's a lot I don't know about this, but I was pretty surprised.

(I am fluent in teenage so I can talk to my niece. I know, right?)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

riiga

Swedish is my native language, so I speak it fluently. I can also understand Norwegian and Danish. Apart from that I still remember a bit of my school French, but it's getting worse by the year.

Dr Frankenstein

French (native), English (fluent), Spanish (semi-functional) and German (basic).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.