Questionable License Plate Letter Combos

Started by halork, December 16, 2014, 01:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

halork

Recently, Colorado has added the letter 'Q' to its regular issue license plates. Since then I have seen plates with FCQ and FKQ combinations; I'm surprised those were allowed.  Any other random letter combinations you've seen that you're surprised were allowed, or were recalled after complaints?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SteveG1988

NJ had a run of plates with HEY*AA1 through HEY*ZZ9

Any with EFF at the end is questonable.

After ZZZ-999, several letter groups ("words") omitted from 1973-84 were issued.

Here are a few of the ones we know (or suspect) were in this group:
ALE BAG BAT BOX BRP BUB CAN CON COW END FEY FIB FLU FOD FOE FOG FRT GAB GUI HEC HEN HIP HMO
IDO IHS IJU INK INU IVD JAZ JUG KAT KIC KOW RAG RAW RED RUT RYE
HEY (prefix)

in 2014 FAP would be pretty bad to have. FAP*699 would be worse.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

1995hoo

I don't approve of the use of this vulgar word, but it shows how the DMV doesn't consider the plate design when checking the license-plate combination....

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SteveG1988

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 16, 2014, 10:28:24 AM
I don't approve of the use of this vulgar word, but it shows how the DMV doesn't consider the plate design when checking the license-plate combination....

Maybe they're a heart doctor and misspelled Angina

Or are from the French Commune Agnia
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

nexus73

My friend has a wife whose minivan has 421 DUD as the plate.  Too bad it wasn't 420 BUD...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

jeffandnicole

I mentioned before somewhere I would see an NJ standard issued tag on occasion:  HOT*69X

I used to see it on my normal commute on occasion.  1 day I was returning from Delaware, and happened to pass by this car.  Then one weekend I was on the highway and my wife laughs, telling me to look at the license plate of the car next to us.  It was THAT tag again!  For what it's worth...maybe she was hot back in the day.  Not anymore.

Mr. Matté

This ORPA request (2012) shows the list of banned plates in NJ:
http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/607513-nj-bannedplates-2012.html#document/p1

Also recently, a woman who requested "8THIEST" was denied. http://www.nj.com/cumberland/index.ssf/2014/04/new_jersey_woman_files_lawsuit_over_atheist_license_plate.html

To be fair, it's not completely discriminatory since per the first link, "JEW" was banned.

I don't approve of the use of this vulgar word,...

What's so vulgar about a body part?

vdeane

Given the NY licence plate scheme, I'm sure there's someone out there with FAP-6969.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

CNGL-Leudimin

In Spain we removed all vowels from our current system in order to avoid forming words. But nevertheless we got some funny combinations, like HDP, shorthand for 'Hijo de puta' (Son of a bitch). Now that we have finally turned to Jxx plates, we are expecting JDT to pop up soon (everyone will read that as 'Jódete', which is 'Fuck you').

Sweden got a list of banned combos. I don't remember all of them, but ETA was one.

That is the politically correct word, actually.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

1995hoo

Quote from: Mr. Matté on December 16, 2014, 12:32:17 PM
I don't approve of the use of this vulgar word,...

What's so vulgar about a body part?

Call it by the proper euphemisms, dammit! :-D

Reminds me of when the woman on Family Feud said "penis," noted she used the "proper" term, and Steve Harvey said that just made the answer worse.

Zeffy

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 17, 2014, 03:42:31 PM
Reminds me of when the woman on Family Feud said "penis," noted she used the "proper" term, and Steve Harvey said that just made the answer worse.

To be honest, when I heard the question on the first woman's turn, I thought of exactly the same thing. Unfortunately, I feel like that may be stereotypical for guys around my age anyway. Though the second one... paramedic wasn't the first thing you thought of??
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

1995hoo

Quote from: Zeffy on December 17, 2014, 04:41:37 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 17, 2014, 03:42:31 PM

To be honest, when I heard the question on the first woman's turn, I thought of exactly the same thing. Unfortunately, I feel like that may be stereotypical for guys around my age anyway. Though the second one... paramedic wasn't the first thing you thought of??

"Paralegal" was the first thing that came to mind to me.

US 41

On Google Maps I saw a license plate where the first 3 letters were GAY.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

freebrickproductions

Here's a good one:

Here in Alabama, we use an 7 character license plate. I wouldn't be surprised if some people have expletives on their tags.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

GaryV

I recall seeing a post about a plate that got through: 6UL DV8

NE2

Quote from: GaryV on December 17, 2014, 07:27:38 PM
I recall seeing a post about a plate that got through: 6UL DV8

I had to use the Goog to get it.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 17, 2014, 06:59:46 PM
Here's a good one:

Here in Alabama, we use an 7 character license plate. I wouldn't be surprised if some people have expletives on their tags.

Even more absurd: The DMV revoked that plate after they received a complaint saying it promoted oral sex with minors.

Unfortunately, I'm not joking.

VCB02FromRoblox

but it shows how the DMV doesn't consider the plate design when checking the license-plate combination....

How the heck did they miss this?

Also, look at this one:

Now, let's take a look at it upside down:

oscar

Quote from: US 41 on December 17, 2014, 06:16:35 PM

A lot of three-letter prefixes could be problematic.  Even less obvious ones like DRG, which happens to be an abbreviation for a system of three-digit codes for medical diagnoses and procedures.  I'd hate to have been the guy whose plate had "DRG" followed by one of the codes for HIV, or for various mental health/substance abuse issues.  Not widely known to the general public, but might draw snickers if the car were parked at a hospital or other medical facility.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

oscar

Quote from: VCB02FromRoblox on December 17, 2014, 08:08:59 PM
Also, look at this one:

Now, let's take a look at it upside down:

Of course, it takes some doing to view it upside down.  Not like 3MTA3, which is instantly comprehensible when seen in a rear-view mirror. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

NE2

Thanks, Obama!

US 41

Quote from: NE2 on December 17, 2014, 09:06:25 PM
Thanks, Obama!

It was in Mexico though.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.