News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Florida now nation's third most populated state

Started by golden eagle, December 23, 2014, 06:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

In a press release released today, the U.S. Census Bureau has Florida listed as the third most populated state in the nation, surpassing New York. Georgia has now crossed the ten-million mark, and North Carolina has surpassed Michigan to become the ninth most populated state. Here's the top ten:

California          38,802,500
Texas              26,956,958
Florida             19,893,297
New York         19,746,227
Illinois              12,880,580
Pennsylvania     12,787,209
Ohio                11,594,163
Georgia            10,097,343
North Carolina     9,943,964
Michigan            9,909,877

Go here for the full results.

adventurernumber1

It seems that California and Texas keep inching up one million every year  :-D
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

pianocello

Huh, I never realized that Pennsylvania was so close to Illinois. Looks like it's been that way for a while now.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

jeffandnicole

Why is Michigan #10?  Just seems like a bit of an odd ball, without a major city (Detroit? ha!) in a northern climate area.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 24, 2014, 06:22:23 AM
Why is Michigan #10?  Just seems like a bit of an odd ball, without a major city (Detroit? ha!) in a northern climate area.

Even though Detroit is losing population, it still has a lot (remember its suburbs, too). Also remember that there are not too many states that have large population and large size, since many of the more dense states are smaller in size.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Tom958

Quote from: pianocello on December 24, 2014, 01:29:27 AM
Huh, I never realized that Pennsylvania was so close to Illinois. Looks like it's been that way for a while now.

And I think that Pennsylvania is growing slightly faster. Could the two states trade 5th and 6th places at some point?

It looks as though the top ten will remain stable for a while.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: 1 on December 24, 2014, 06:31:20 AM

Even though Detroit is losing population, it still has a lot (remember its suburbs, too). Also remember that there are not too many states that have large population and large size, since many of the more dense states are smaller in size.

Detroit's "city" population is still around 700,000, which is comparable to Boston or Charlotte. It's still in the top 20 in the country in terms of population.

formulanone

That's right, New York: Florida is no longer the sixth borough, but now you're the 68th county of Florida. :P

Laura

Quote from: The Nature Boy on December 24, 2014, 04:08:01 PM
Quote from: 1 on December 24, 2014, 06:31:20 AM

Detroit's "city" population is still around 700,000, which is comparable to Boston or Charlotte. It's still in the top 20 in the country in terms of population.

Wow! I didn't realize it still had that many people. It's still way below its 1950 peak of 1.8 million, though.

golden eagle

It will be a very long time (if ever) before Detroit sees 1.8M again. Orlando may see that before Detroit, and that won't be anytime soon.

jwolfer

Quote from: golden eagle on December 26, 2014, 06:06:10 PM
It will be a very long time (if ever) before Detroit sees 1.8M again. Orlando may see that before Detroit, and that won't be anytime soon.
Orlando metro is already above 2 million

bing101

Remember a decade ago during the Arnold Schwarzenegger era of California. There was talks that Texas was supposed to overtake California in terms of Jobs, money and population within a 20 year period. Houston and Dallas were supposed to attract Bay Area and Los Angeles residents to the state. Austin was supposed to,attract a,Sacramento type crowd to Texas and San Antonio was supposed to attract a San Diego type crowd to the state. El paso was going to have the San Ysidro demographics, I do not know who was supposed to be the Fresno, Bakersfield, Stockton and Modesto of Texas,at this time.

golden eagle

Quote from: jwolfer on December 26, 2014, 09:24:34 PM

I was meaning the city proper of Orlando, which is near a quarter million.

NE2

Quote from: jwolfer on December 26, 2014, 09:24:34 PM
And Metro Detroit is over 4 million. Your point?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

golden eagle

Is it possible that New York State could surpass the 20-million mark by 2020? Florida definitely, maybe as many as 21-22 million.

DTComposer

Quote from: golden eagle on December 23, 2014, 06:41:09 PM

California released its 7/1/14 estimates for state and county population earlier this month (link here) and put the state's population at 38,499,378. Interesting since for many years the state-issued estimates were much higher than the Census Bureau's estimates (which I would have imagined to be the case in many states due to local boosterism). Based on the actual Censuses, California's estimates were found to be closer during the 1990s, while the Census Bureau was closer during the 2000s.

In any case, a difference of 300,000 suggests a wildly different methodology between the two, and I'm a little surprised given the wealth of data available nowadays that we don't have more consistent and accurate estimates all around.

ET21

More people = more beach front skyscrapers and mansions on both coasts. Just wait till the next hurricane...
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kendancy66

Quote from: golden eagle on December 23, 2014, 06:41:09 PM
In a press release released today, the U.S. Census Bureau has Florida listed as the third most populated state in the nation, surpassing New York. Georgia has now crossed the ten-million mark, and North Carolina has surpassed Michigan to become the ninth most populated state. Here's the top ten:

Texas              26,956,958
Florida             19,893,297
New York         19,746,227
Illinois              12,880,580
Pennsylvania     12,787,209
Ohio                11,594,163
Georgia            10,097,343
North Carolina     9,943,964
Michigan            9,909,877

Go here for the full results.

What year did Georgia pass North Carolina in population?

golden eagle

^^
Somewhere between 1990-2000. North Carolina had 6.6 million in 1990, to Georgia's 6.4. By 2000, Georgia had almost 8.2 million, to NC's 8 million.

Road Hog

Quote from: bing101 on December 26, 2014, 09:36:46 PM
Remember a decade ago during the Arnold Schwarzenegger era of California. There was talks that Texas was supposed to overtake California in terms of Jobs, money and population within a 20 year period. Houston and Dallas were supposed to attract Bay Area and Los Angeles residents to the state. Austin was supposed to,attract a,Sacramento type crowd to Texas and San Antonio was supposed to attract a San Diego type crowd to the state. El paso was going to have the San Ysidro demographics, I do not know who was supposed to be the Fresno, Bakersfield, Stockton and Modesto of Texas,at this time.

Texas is still growing faster than California, but California's economy has stabilized, which has slowed the out-migration. At a net differential of 80,000 people a year, it'll be a century and a half before Texas catches the Golden State.

golden eagle

I was thinking that Florida could surpass Texas, but Texas' growth is outpacing Florida.

jwolfer

Quote from: golden eagle on December 30, 2014, 09:21:17 PM
I was thinking that Florida could surpass Texas, but Texas' growth is outpacing Florida.
Florida has too many retirees. Many residents of Florida claim residency to avoid taxes in NJ and NY

hotdogPi

With global warming, people will start moving back.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

triplemultiplex

Quote from: 1 on January 01, 2015, 05:47:36 AM
With global warming, people will start moving back.
On the plus side, beach front property in Orlando! :bigass:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.