News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Town names that are animals

Started by hotdogPi, December 29, 2014, 07:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 02, 2015, 06:44:34 AM
How could I have forgotten Duck, N.C.?
Yeah...can't believe I overlooked that either.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

DandyDan

Nebraska has cities named Bee, Eagle, and Gibbon.  There's also Beaver City and Beaver Crossing.  Papillion is said to be the French word for butterfly, which explains why the high school calls itself the Monarchs.  Nebraska could also get credit for Holstein, which is also a city in Iowa.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Pete from Boston

Unincorporated but possessed of an animal name is Fly, Ohio, home of the only ferry between Ohio and W. Va. and not much else when I drove through.

Dr Frankenstein

L'Orignal, Ontario (The Moose)
Maskinongé, Québec (Muskellunge)

Laura

Pete from Boston

nexus73

Beaver UT wins.  They're the county seat for Beaver County and their HS is the Beaver Beavers.

x4 is something!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

US 41

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan (and Canada in general) has a lot of towns named after a particular animal.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

roadman65

Bald Eagle, PA along everybody's favorite interstate. :bigass:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

lepidopteran

Squirrel Hill is not a town per se, but a section of Pittsburgh.  A highway tunnel bears its name.  (Parkway East/I-376/US 22-30)

Ohio has both Beavercreek and Beaverdam.

For a fictitious example, who remembers a movie that makes a parenthetical reference to "Pig's Knuckle, AR"?

empirestate

Quote from: lepidopteran on February 05, 2015, 02:03:59 PM
Squirrel Hill is not a town per se, but a section of Pittsburgh.  A highway tunnel bears its name.  (Parkway East/I-376/US 22-30)

In addition to which, there is no such animal as a "squirrel hill". ;-)

Brandon

Illinois (incorporated municipalities only):

Buffalo
Buffalo Grove
Beaverville
Deer Creek
Deer Park
Deerfield
Fox Lake
Fox River Grove
Trout Valley

There's a lot more municipalities named after plants.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.