News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Things smartphones have replaced

Started by bugo, January 01, 2015, 10:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Quote from: Molandfreak on January 03, 2015, 12:41:42 PM
Do NOT use your smartphone as an alarm clock! It'll destroy your battery faster.

Even if your phone is plugged in?

bugo

When I was in my late teens/early twenties, my friend and I would listen to albums that didn't have the lyrics printed on the cover and try to discern the words that the vocalists were singing. We would listen to a few seconds then pause, write down what we thought we heard, then rewind and listen to it again to see if the words we wrote down sounded correct or not then rewind it and listen to it then rewind, play, and pause over and over. If we were unsure about a passage, we would rewind and listen to the phrase and rewind and listen...over and over. It took hours to do an album, and sometimes we just had to guess. Sometimes we gave up if it was really hard to understand the singer so we eventually gave up. If it was a cassette, rewinding and playing and rewinding and playing over and over wasn't good for the health of the tape. I remember in particular trying to figure out the lyrics for Slayer's Reign In Blood. I had the cassette version with no lyrics in the foldout. The album is only 29 minutes long but I bet we spent 29 hours trying to figure out the lyrics. Tom Araya's singing style didn't make it any easier. Later, I bought the CD version which has the lyrics printed on the foldout, and we compared our notes to the actual lyrics and we were WAY off on some of the words. Today, you can just get online (whether on a computer or on a phone) and type "Slayer Reign In Blood Lyrics" and they would pop up on the screen instantly. (Yes, I know that online lyrics are sometimes inaccurate, but we can listen to the song while reading the lyrics to see if they match up.) Did it take away the fun? Yes and no. It was fun at the time but I destroyed my tape doing it and it got tiring listening to the same part of the same verse over and over. It certainly makes life easier.

Molandfreak

Quote from: bugo on January 03, 2015, 02:41:09 PM
Do NOT use your smartphone as an alarm clock! It'll destroy your battery faster.

Yep, the phone should be turned off at night to preserve the battery. Leaving it plugged in after it's fully charged decreases the battery's life.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Molandfreak on January 03, 2015, 05:59:19 PM

Yep, the phone should be turned off at night to preserve the battery. Leaving it plugged in after it's fully charged decreases the battery's life.

It's probably cheaper to put additional wear on a battery than it is to keep a landline for those times that the cell phone is turned off. Batteries are going to have to get better to work with how people use their phones.

kkt

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 03, 2015, 07:03:58 PM

It's probably cheaper to put additional wear on a battery than it is to keep a landline for those times that the cell phone is turned off. Batteries are going to have to get better to work with how people use their phones.

Battery manufacturers probably think the batteries work just fine now.   :biggrin:

adventurernumber1

Many times on school days (especially this year so far) I'd have my phone as an alarm clock to wake me up in the morning, but I get so little sleep Im always knocked out and it's usually (literally) 10-20 minutes before I actually wake up. So it's wasting battery the whole time (I actually usually don't have my phone plugged up when I'm sleeping; usually when I'm in the shower and/or when I'm on it for a "little" while after Im in bed. Many times it'll go from 100% to 80 or even 75%. Speaking of the iPhone battery, lately my phone has been acting like a drunk scrap of metal. A few days ago I was in Times Square in NYC for New Years Eve, and at the beginning it was 15% (Ik, Ik, I was an idiot and didn't charge it up at all before, but I really thought I was savioring my battery; but that's not the point). 1 hour later it was 10%, after taking a bunch of pictures and doing some other things. I turn it off, and put it in my pocket, then, one minute later I pull it out and it's at 1%!!! Needless to say it went dead right after that. Then, an hour later (obviously I never got a chance to charge it) I randomly tried to turn it back on hoping for a miracle from God above, and it actually turns on, then it's at 7%!!! Then, one minute later, it was at 4%. Then it went dead again right after that. I ended up taking pics on my mom's phone & sending them to myself later. Crap like that has been happening with my phone battery lately and it's pissing me off. And my mom's having it too (FYI we both have an iPhone5S, and maybe this kind of thing is happening a lot with that iPhone generation, but I really don't know)!!

But anyways, I think smartphones have kind of replaced a lot of things in a way, but it has replaced nothing fully, and never will. It has so many things, like a calculator, clock, compass, camera, etc. but it doesn't completely replace those things. I don't personally, but some people on here have said they still wear watches and have a smartphone. It just can't fully replace anything.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Pete from Boston

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 04, 2015, 05:44:33 AMSpeaking of the iPhone battery, lately my phone has been acting like a drunk scrap of metal. A few days ago I was in Times Square in NYC for New Years Eve, and at the beginning it was 15% (Ik, Ik, I was an idiot and didn't charge it up at all before, but I really thought I was savioring my battery; but that's not the point). 1 hour later it was 10%, after taking a bunch of pictures and doing some other things. I turn it off, and put it in my pocket, then, one minute later I pull it out and it's at 1%!!! Needless to say it went dead right after that. Then, an hour later (obviously I never got a chance to charge it) I randomly tried to turn it back on hoping for a miracle from God above, and it actually turns on, then it's at 7%!!! Then, one minute later, it was at 4%. Then it went dead again right after that. I ended up taking pics on my mom's phone & sending them to myself later. Crap like that has been happening with my phone battery lately and it's pissing me off. And my mom's having it too (FYI we both have an iPhone5S, and maybe this kind of thing is happening a lot with that iPhone generation, but I really don't know)!!

This also happened on the 3 and 4.  Battery dies at higher and higher reported remaining charge (skipping suddenly to 1%), then comes right back on when plugged in, way above 1%.  My friend's 3 was dying at upwards of 50% at the end.  There's a ton written about it online.

QuoteBut anyways, I think smartphones have kind of replaced a lot of things in a way, but it has replaced nothing fully, and never will. It has so many things, like a calculator, clock, compass, camera, etc. but it doesn't completely replace those things. I don't personally, but some people on here have said they still wear watches and have a smartphone. It just can't fully replace anything.

I don't know much about calculator-buying habits these days, but everytime I see one I'm surprised.  Usually it's at something like a cafe where servers have to make adjustments and can't do math quickly.

Laura

Quote from: kkt on January 03, 2015, 08:56:51 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 03, 2015, 07:03:58 PM

Battery manufacturers probably think the batteries work just fine now.   :biggrin:

What. I NEVER turn off my phone at night and barely any of the battery has worn down overnight, even with an alarm set. The alarm is such a minor function. You all must have other apps that are draining the battery. I have an almost 4 year old iPhone 4.

iPhone

The Nature Boy

Same here. The alarm literally drains almost none of my battery.

I also have an iPhone 4.

hotdogPi

I think some of you are confusing the battery going from 100% -> 0% (temporary) with the battery going from brand new -> not working (permanent).
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 1 on January 04, 2015, 01:53:08 PM
I think some of you are confusing the battery going from 100% -> 0% (temporary) with the battery going from brand new -> not working (permanent).

Except the phone's not permanent.  Doing these things will still probably mean that the battery lasts longer than the phone does against the forces of physical damage, software upgrades that tax it, increasing memory demands, etc.  I also have an iPhone 4, and while the battery is not at peak condition, neither is the phone, and I don't see the other limitations of the phone outlasting those of the battery.

Edit: I realize this contradicts my earlier comment about battery issues in iPhones.  But I think for most people's average phone-keeping time (2-4 years, from what I can tell) it still holds true.

Molandfreak

Quote from: 1 on January 04, 2015, 01:53:08 PM
Yes. That's what I'm talking about.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Duke87

Battery life is a curse. By the time I got rid of my last phone it would go from fully charged to near dead in about 8 hours. It was 16 months old. The replacement was prompted by the phone physically breaking, though, not the battery.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Scott5114

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 04, 2015, 05:59:35 AM
I don't know much about calculator-buying habits these days, but everytime I see one I'm surprised.  Usually it's at something like a cafe where servers have to make adjustments and can't do math quickly.

I have had a ten-key desk calculator (adding machine) on my desk since 2006. It's a lot quicker than using the one on the phone since it's literally a foot away from my hand at any given time. The TAX+ button is pretty nice too.

We use similar calculators at work because we need the paper tape printouts attached to some of our paperwork for Accounting.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Pete from Boston

Smartphones have replaced anything alone people used to do at restaurants and bars (including talk to others). 

NE2

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 07, 2015, 10:52:32 AM
Smartphones have replaced anything alone people used to do at restaurants and bars (including talk to others). 
Even drinking (thanks, Hypnotoad app).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US81

I miss my pocket PC and indestructible Nokia phone. As separate devices, they met my needs well with great battery life. As a smartphone, I'm fighting a mediocre phone with moderately poor service area and fighting for battery life of the device, too.

Oh, and "All glory to the Hypnotoad!"

GCrites

Sorry, Megatouch. You had a good run providing titties 'n beer to people in the 2000s.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: GCrites80s on January 07, 2015, 02:36:31 PM

Sorry, Megatouch. You had a good run providing titties 'n beer to people in the 2000s.

I must have repeated my own post, because I now recall mentioning that these things seemed to have a new version every year or so until about 2008. 

Pete from Boston

Smartphones are replacing those little punch cards coffee shops give/gave you to collect free coffees (and sandwich/burrito/etc. places).  Increasingly, you get those by paying by having your phone scanned.

bandit957

About the only thing they haven't replaced is toilets.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

ZLoth

One advantage that cell phones have over (most) watches.... accuracy! Unless you have one of those watches that sets itself to the atomic clock, watches will drift off eventually no matter if it's mechanical or digital. Cell phones get their time from the cell phone system, and is usually very accurate. Plus, as I noted in a previous thread, there are multiple sources for ensuring accurate time.

Also, while the cell phone and smart phone include cameras, if you want a QUALITY camera shot, you need to use a good camera.

And, while cell phones and tablets are handy for situations, I still prefer a nice full-screen monitor and desktop system even over my laptop. Frequently, I'm hooking up my work laptop at home to a full keyboard and monitor.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

bugo

Quote from: ZLoth on January 21, 2015, 03:24:24 AM
One advantage that cell phones have over (most) watches.... accuracy! Unless you have one of those watches that sets itself to the atomic clock, watches will drift off eventually no matter if it's mechanical or digital. Cell phones get their time from the cell phone system, and is usually very accurate. Plus, as I noted in a previous thread, there are multiple sources for ensuring accurate time.

Not really. My laptop and my 2 Android phones are off from each other.

Also, while the cell phone and smart phone include cameras, if you want a QUALITY camera shot, you need to use a good camera.

True to an extent, but I've seen some EXCELLENT pictures made from an iPhone.

And, while cell phones and tablets are handy for situations, I still prefer a nice full-screen monitor and desktop system even over my laptop. Frequently, I'm hooking up my work laptop at home to a full keyboard and monitor.

I run a dual monitor system: the monitor on my laptop and a second screen mounted above it on a stand that I built from scrap wood and the bottom of an old table. I reckon you could make one from the bottom of a computer chair so it would be adjustable.

US81

Quote from: ZLoth on January 21, 2015, 03:24:24 AM

There are often problems during the Standard Time/DST shift. It's usually fixed within a few hours, but I haven't yet worked during one of the time changes where the cell network accurately and correctly shifted precisely as it was supposed to. EMS/LE , healthcare workers and others who may need precise timekeeping know to wear a watch or otherwise have a back-up until the cell network gets it right.

seicer

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.