News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Most annoying ringtones

Started by roadman, January 02, 2015, 05:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

The current thread about smartphones got me thinking about ringtones, and how some of them can be downright annoying.

I'll start the list off with my top three personal 'favorites':

The 'cuckoo' sound many people use to alert them to texts

The 'clown horn' sound a person I work with uses to alert them to texts

The 'rock star' melody (yes, that's how it's labeled on ringtone menus) that is default on most phones (and which most people don't bother to change).

Anybody else out there want to add to this list
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

1995hoo

I don't use any of the default ringtones, in part because of how ubiquitous they are. You know how when you're at a game (hockey, baseball, whatever, doesn't matter) and the men's room is crowded and you're standing on line for the urinals and someone's phone sounds the default ringtone, half the guys in there start checking to see if it's their phone? That will never happen to me!

Some people might find some of my ringtones rather annoying, though. The one I set as the default is the beginning of a rock version of the Russian national anthem as performed by a Russian band whose name is usually transliterated as "Lubeh" or "Lyubeh."

I also have John Walton's radio play-by-play call of the Capitals scoring the series-clinching goal in overtime of Game 7 against the Bruins a few years ago, Charlie Slowes and Dave Jaegler's calls of Jayson Werth's walk-off home run in the 2012 NLDS and this past year's final catch of Jordan Zimmermann's no-hitter, the Ipana Toothpaste jingle, the Hartford Whalers' "Brass Bonanza, and some other stuff.

On the whole, I'd wager some people would probably find my custom ringtones more annoying than the default ones. I should note I am extremely careful to put my phone into Airplane Mode if we're at the movies or Mass or the Kennedy Center or the like. Having your phone ring at the Kennedy Center is a faux pas. Having it start blasting "Heavy Action" (the Monday Night Football music) would be unforgivably rude!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman

I go one step further when I'm at some place where I don't want my phone ringing - I just shut it off completely.

As for the men's room, I used to work with a guy who would keep talking on his phone while doing his business at the urinal.  While I am normally tolerant of folks on cell phones - no matter how irritating they can be - if I was within earshot, I would manage to flush a toilet.  Was always curious about how the person on the other end felt about that.

As a sidebar - cellphones have ruined what IMO was one of the funniest scenes during a television show - the opening scene in the pilot episode of Get Smart, where Max's shoe phone starts ringing in the middle of the opera and he can't shut it off.  I'm sure the current generation's reaction to that is simply "Oh, he's being rude." with no appreciation for the context.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

admtrap

Since I don't really like most of the people who call me, any ringtone I use becomes cringeworthy after a while.  I've tried using songs I like - they turn into songs I hate.   My new strategy is to use songs I already hate.

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman on January 02, 2015, 06:26:00 PM

As for the men's room, I used to work with a guy who would keep talking on his phone while doing his business at the urinal.  While I am normally tolerant of folks on cell phones - no matter how irritating they can be - if I was within earshot, I would manage to flush a toilet.  Was always curious about how the person on the other end felt about that.

I also make a point of flushing. Or, depending on the restroom design and the reason for my visit, I will go in a booth, stand on my tiptoes, and piss as loudly as I possibly can directly into the water. 
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

the only time I've ever had a phone louder than "vibrate" is when I get a new one and forget that, out of the factory, they are loud.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hotdogPi

The most annoying one is the one that is your own ringtone, but not your own phone.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Alps

hbelkins

My ringtone for my wife's cell and for the home phone is "I Was Made For Lovin' You" by Kiss.

For my mother-in-law, it's "Tie Your Mother Down" by Queen.

For some unknown reason, for my brother it's the iPhone iOS 6 default (the marimba). I guess I should change that but at least I know it's him when he calls.

For everyone else, it's "Master of Puppets" by Metallica.

All of mine, I've created on my own by editing snippets of MP3s. I've used portions of "Aire" by Chicago, "Highway Star" by Deep Purple, "Heading Out To The Highway" by Judas Priest, "By-Tor And The Snow Dog" by Rush.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cjk374

My phone stays on vibrate.  I have to turn it off when I am at work by federal law.  When I did use ringtones, I had Darth Vader's marching music anytime my ex-wife called.  She gave it to me and I told her I would use it for her.  She didn't care, but everyone else gets a laugh.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Tom958

The most annoying ringtone ever was the one from the movie "Brazil." Hear it at 0:40-41.

briantroutman

I always found the "Nokia Tune"  annoying.

Roadrunner75

Being from South Jersey, my ringtone is of course:

ZLoth

"Annoying" is a very subjective opinion. Around the office, the "Old Spice" whistle and a ring dying have been used to annoyance.

I uploaded the themes to Doctor Who, Amazing Race, and Game of Thrones to my cell phone and use those as ringtones. And, to think the cell phone carriers want us to PAY for them.

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Zeffy

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 02, 2015, 07:05:11 PM
the only time I've ever had a phone louder than "vibrate" is when I get a new one and forget that, out of the factory, they are loud.

Oh good, I thought I was the only one who will never turn their phone off vibrate unless it was new.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

GCrites

Quote from: hbelkins on January 02, 2015, 07:59:04 PM

What part? "Chop your breakfast on a mirror"?  :hmmm:

hotdogPi

How often have you heard your own ringtone, checked your phone, and then realized that it was someone else's phone that was ringing?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Pete from Boston

None.  My phone vibrates.  Ringtones are as bad as non-urgent car horn use–the user helps him/herself to everyone else's ears for something of importance to only that person.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 03, 2015, 12:15:07 PM
None.  My phone vibrates.  Ringtones are as bad as non-urgent car horn use–the user helps him/herself to everyone else's ears for something of importance to only that person.

This might be the first time I've ever seen someone from Boston decry car horn usage in any fashion.

In any event, I couldn't tell you what my ringtone is. I keep my phone on vibrate because I don't like disturbing other people while in public.

Pete from Boston

We have a lot of pedestrian traffic, and a lot of backed-up automobile traffic on streets.  People yell fron the sidewalk at drivers who lean on their horns. 

SSOWorld

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 03, 2015, 01:18:02 PM
We have a lot of pedestrian traffic, and a lot of backed-up automobile traffic on streets.  People yell fron the sidewalk at drivers who lean on their horns. 
Keep honking, I'm reloading :bigass:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kurumi

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on January 03, 2015, 01:35:47 AM
Being from South Jersey, my ringtone is of course:

Semi-threadjack, but here's a cool site with hundreds of TV news theme songs going back to the 70s; you can search by region: http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/

Probably the worst ringtone I had (in retrospect) was a hand-composed version of "The Autumn Wind" back when the Raiders were good (this predates smartphones by many years).
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

hbelkins

Quote from: GCrites80s on January 03, 2015, 11:52:58 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 02, 2015, 07:59:04 PM

What part? "Chop your breakfast on a mirror"?  :hmmm:

No, where it goes "master, master" and then the chorus.

Quote from: 1 on January 03, 2015, 11:56:30 AM
How often have you heard your own ringtone, checked your phone, and then realized that it was someone else's phone that was ringing?

For awhile, I used the intro to Rush's "The Spirit of Radio" as my ringtone. More than once, I would hear the song come on (either on the radio or when used as bumper music for Rush Limbaugh's show) and would instinctively reach for my phone.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Jardine

I have a psychotic Droid RazrM and I'm lucky if it rings at all when I get a call.

New phone this month !!!

I'm looking at 2 soup cans and a piece of string, I should be able to keep that level of technology working.

cl94

During my freshman year of college, somebody recorded the fire alarm and used it as their ringtone for a few months
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.