News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most Famous Restaurants in America - Iconic Restaurants In Every State

Started by ZLoth, January 08, 2015, 03:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From Thrillist:

Most Famous Restaurants in America - Iconic Restaurants In Every State
QuoteIf you want to find the oldest restaurant in a state, that's easy -- we already did the research. If you want to determine the most iconic restaurant in a state, that's more difficult, mostly because it requires looking up what the hell iconic means in the dictionary.

Luckily, after tons of research, awkward cold calls, and several cross country trips, we can name the most iconic restaurant in each state. To qualify for this list, a place had to have been around for 30+ years (all have been in business since at least 1980) and still be a crowd favorite. And while some of these restaurants may not have the best food or be tourist-free, they're all famous. So, without further ado, here is our list. Hopefully, they've all got T-shirts.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

Feel free to differ... this is a very subjective list.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

1995hoo

As expensive as it is (and it is extremely expensive!), I find it hard to fathom listing anywhere other than the Inn at Little Washington as Virginia's most iconic restaurant.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

QuoteLuckily, after tons of research, awkward cold calls, and several cross country trips, we can name the most iconic restaurant in each state.

And yet, they must've forgotten their cell phone cameras on those cross-country trips, as all of the pictures on the site are from flickr, facebook, etc.

Sites like this are what make the internet worthless.  While some of the restaurant themes may be iconic to the state, they could've simply thrown a dart at a list of those iconic themed restaurants to choose a restaurant.  Next, let's look at their website to see how we can describe them.  And finally, let's publish this on the internet and hope people read it.

empirestate

Well, you'll never get agreement on New York as long as there's a huge city with the same name as the state. But I'm definitely on board with the NH choice: I booked that whole place for my wedding party. :-)

Pete from Boston

This is from someone who doesn't understand northeastern diners:

"But unlike the typical greasy spoon you might envision when the word "diner" comes to mind (or maybe you're a huge fan of '80s-era Barry Levinson movies), Tops features a full bar and two full-time bakers whipping up fresh cheesecake, plus the usual diner-y fare of beef ribs, meatloaf, and burgers."

I envision a book-length menu, a full bar (probably behind the cash register) that almost nobody patronizes, and "baking done on premises" proudly displayed somewhere.

There's nothing wrong with Tops, but there's nothing wrong with a hundred other diners that fit this description in North Jersey.  But I guess you gotta pick one.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

dfilpus

I ate at the Michigan entry back in October. However, Zehnder's, which is across the street, is much more iconic. The Zehnder family owns both restaurants.

Takumi

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 08, 2015, 11:06:23 AM
As expensive as it is (and it is extremely expensive!), I find it hard to fathom listing anywhere other than the Inn at Little Washington as Virginia's most iconic restaurant.
Agreed. As often as I go to Williamsburg, I've never been to Pierce's because it's in kind of an odd place compared to a lot of what I frequent there. It's also fairly new compared to some of the other "famous" Virginia restaurants (The Inn, Half Way House in Chesterfield County, even the Nottoway Restaurant).
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota: Matt's is probably the more famous of the two Juicy Lucy combatants (the 5-8 Club is the other), both located in south Minneapolis on Cedar Avenue but a few miles apart from one another. I'd suppose it comes down to Matt's or Mickey's Diner in St. Paul, really. Both are probably equal, but Matt's gets the edge in "innovation" for the Lucy.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

cjk374

I've never been to the restaurant listed in New Orleans.  My favorite, and much more iconic IMO, is Lea's Lunchroom in LeCompte.  Fresh homemade pies, burgers, sandwiches...can't go wrong.  It's located south of Alexandria in between the north and southbound lanes of US 71/167 in the village of LeCompte.  It was established in 1928.  The original owner even made an appearance on the Tonight Show w/Johnny Carson.

http://www.leaslunchroom.com/lecompte/A_Louisiana_Tradition_Since_1928.html
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

realjd

I'd have picked Old Ebbitt grill for DC and Versailles for FL. And in TX I prefer the BBQ places in Lockhart to Salt Lick, not that Salt Lick isn't amazing. Other than those minor nitpicks, I think that they have good choices.

LOL at the SD "restaurant" being a truck stop.

6a

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 08, 2015, 02:32:42 PM
This is from someone who doesn't understand northeastern diners:

"But unlike the typical greasy spoon you might envision when the word "diner" comes to mind (or maybe you're a huge fan of '80s-era Barry Levinson movies), Tops features a full bar and two full-time bakers whipping up fresh cheesecake, plus the usual diner-y fare of beef ribs, meatloaf, and burgers."

I envision a book-length menu, a full bar (probably behind the cash register) that almost nobody patronizes, and "baking done on premises" proudly displayed somewhere.

There's nothing wrong with Tops, but there's nothing wrong with a hundred other diners that fit this description in North Jersey.  But I guess you gotta pick one.

On the subject of diners, I found this book particularly fascinating.

Also, I've never heard of the entry for Ohio.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 08, 2015, 02:32:42 PM

Your description sounds like the Union Plaza Diner.... located in the median of US-22. Nothing like pancakes and a glass of chardonnay for dinner.... or Grey Goose and cranberry if that's your thing.

corco

I'm surprised to see Hudson's over the West Side Drive In in Boise, though I guess Hudson's is northern Idaho and West Side is southern Idaho

ET21

So many to pick from Illinois lol. Gene & Jude's is one of many awesome places
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

golden eagle

Quote from: dfilpus on January 08, 2015, 03:40:13 PM
I ate at the Michigan entry back in October. However, Zehnder's, which is across the street, is much more iconic. The Zehnder family owns both restaurants.

I ate at Zehnder's when I visited Frankenmuth almost a decade ago. It was ok.

For Mississippi, I'd chosen either Stamps Burgers in Jackson (burgers so big, you can't finish one in one sitting) or Mary Mahoney's in Biloxi.

ajlynch91

I live in the Chicago area and have never even heard of Gene and Jude's. It sounds good enough to at least warrant trying out whenever I happen to be in the River Grove area, although if they're gonna force fries down my throat they better at least allow ketchup. Not on the hot dog of course, I know better than to commit a blaspheme.

MikeSantNY78

Did the compiler of this canvassing take one step outside NYC for the NYS entry?
You would NOT have Chicken Wings as a meal option - anywhere - if it weren't for the resourcefulness of Teresa Bellissimo of the Anchor Bar in Buffalo (Main & North) one fateful night in 1964... 

empirestate

Quote from: MikeSantNY78 on January 24, 2015, 09:56:29 PM
Did the compiler of this canvassing take one step outside NYC for the NYS entry?
You would NOT have Chicken Wings as a meal option - anywhere - if it weren't for the resourcefulness of Teresa Bellissimo of the Anchor Bar in Buffalo (Main & North) one fateful night in 1964... 

Or what about Nick Tahou and his beloved Garbage Plate™?

(Okay, not quite as iconic as the Buffalo wing, but in the latter's case it's the dish itself that's iconic, not the restaurant.)

roadman65

In Rahway, NJ its the Galaxy Diner at the junction of Routes 27 & 35.

Here in Florida its Dixie's Crossroads in Titusville on SR 406 between I-95 and US 1.  Great for one of a kind seafood platters and of course Rock Shrimp!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.