News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storm2k

Quote from: _Simon on September 01, 2017, 07:20:59 AM
Quote from: Alps on August 29, 2017, 11:49:22 PM
Quote from: storm2k on August 29, 2017, 09:15:44 PM
Quote from: Alps on August 28, 2017, 08:25:22 AM
Quote from: yakra on August 27, 2017, 02:49:32 PM
TMK this is NJ's only BYPASS bannered US route, and as yet it doesn't connect to the rest of the numbered system. (US/State system, that is; I'm not counting CR514.)
AFAICS it has not yet been approved by AASHTO.
Any ideas as to whether, once complete & open, it will stay US206Byp, or become part of US206 proper?
It is future 206, so I don't think there is any reason to go AASHTO with it until it's completed and ready for full rerouting. The old route will be decommissioned, not turned into a Business route.

They won't give it a 3di 1xx state route number as with other bypassed routes (166, 159, 173, etc)?
That died awhile ago. 185 was the last, then came Business 33 and 133. But no, this is not going to be a state highway in the end. If they weren't able to download it, it would probably be Business 206.
Do you mean 183 or 184?  185 doesn't bypass/isn't bypassed by anything lol. 

Nearby Tidbit:  when 206 bypassed Bridgewater/Somerville just north of Hillsborough, the old alignment over bridge street was assigned nj-177 for a short time.  You can see this designation in the topo maps on historic aerials.

SM-G955U

When was that done? I looked at the Historic Aerials and it looks like 206's current routing from Hillsborough to the circle has been there for a very long time.

storm2k

The first piece of the 287/78/202-206 interchange improvements is set to open Monday. The new ramp for 22A from 287NB to 202-206SB will open up at the end of this weekend. They will shut down the old ramp tomorrow night (9/15) so they can finish paving and striping. The new ramp will still have giant stop signs at the end until they can knock out the old ramp and finish the accel/deccel lane. Most of the utility work for that looks to be done and you can see the new curb in front of the Exxon station.

storm2k

Quote from: storm2k on September 15, 2017, 12:16:48 AM
The first piece of the 287/78/202-206 interchange improvements is set to open Monday. The new ramp for 22A from 287NB to 202-206SB will open up at the end of this weekend. They will shut down the old ramp tomorrow night (9/15) so they can finish paving and striping. The new ramp will still have giant stop signs at the end until they can knock out the old ramp and finish the accel/deccel lane. Most of the utility work for that looks to be done and you can see the new curb in front of the Exxon station.

Of course I posted this and then drove up there this weekend to see that the work has been postponed to next weekend.

_Simon

Where do you get this information?

SM-G955U

storm2k

Quote from: _Simon on September 18, 2017, 09:04:49 AM

SM-G955U

My mom lives in the area so I drive up there frequently. They've had message signs up for a while and there was a news release on NJDOT's website as well.

_Simon

Quote from: storm2k on September 18, 2017, 10:51:53 PM

SM-G955U

My mom lives in the area so I drive up there frequently. They've had message signs up for a while and there was a news release on NJDOT's website as well.
I drive past it every day and exit at 22b and havent received a single email.  They really need to get into the 21st century and put up a temporary sensor nearby so they can email your ezpass account as you drive through.  I like lack of transparency (because it's how things get built faster) but if they're trying to make the info public they can do a better job.

SM-G955U

_Simon

Quote from: storm2k on September 01, 2017, 11:50:05 PM
Quote from: _Simon on September 01, 2017, 07:20:59 AM
Quote from: Alps on August 29, 2017, 11:49:22 PM
Quote from: storm2k on August 29, 2017, 09:15:44 PM
Quote from: Alps on August 28, 2017, 08:25:22 AM
Quote from: yakra on August 27, 2017, 02:49:32 PM
TMK this is NJ's only BYPASS bannered US route, and as yet it doesn't connect to the rest of the numbered system. (US/State system, that is; I'm not counting CR514.)
AFAICS it has not yet been approved by AASHTO.
Any ideas as to whether, once complete & open, it will stay US206Byp, or become part of US206 proper?
It is future 206, so I don't think there is any reason to go AASHTO with it until it's completed and ready for full rerouting. The old route will be decommissioned, not turned into a Business route.

They won't give it a 3di 1xx state route number as with other bypassed routes (166, 159, 173, etc)?
That died awhile ago. 185 was the last, then came Business 33 and 133. But no, this is not going to be a state highway in the end. If they weren't able to download it, it would probably be Business 206.
Do you mean 183 or 184?  185 doesn't bypass/isn't bypassed by anything lol. 

Nearby Tidbit:  when 206 bypassed Bridgewater/Somerville just north of Hillsborough, the old alignment over bridge street was assigned nj-177 for a short time.  You can see this designation in the topo maps on historic aerials.

SM-G955U

When was that done? I looked at the Historic Aerials and it looks like 206's current routing from Hillsborough to the circle has been there for a very long time.
http://alpsroads.net/roads/nj/log/10.html#177

Bypassed in 1930, route number was cataloged and on public maps between 61 and 70.

SM-G955U

jeffandnicole

Quote from: _Simon on September 19, 2017, 05:40:48 AM
Quote from: storm2k on September 18, 2017, 10:51:53 PM

SM-G955U

I drive past it every day and exit at 22b and havent received a single email.  They really need to get into the 21st century and put up a temporary sensor nearby so they can email your ezpass account as you drive through.  I like lack of transparency (because it's how things get built faster) but if they're trying to make the info public they can do a better job.

SM-G955U

Or you can just read the signs they've put up announcing the change.

J Route Z

Alps

Quote from: J Route Z on September 19, 2017, 09:39:59 PM
NJDOT sign typo directs drivers to Lake "Paris-ppany":
http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/news/local/morris-county/2017/09/19/njdot-sign-typo-directs-drivers-lake-paris-ppany/680284001/
They're fixing a sign next week that is on my commute route. I think I can make this work.

jeffandnicole

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/news/local/morris-county/2017/09/19/njdot-sign-typo-directs-drivers-lake-paris-ppany/680284001/

QuoteThe sign, on Route 202 north or Littleton Road, just south of the Route 80 overpass, was installed following work completed in 2015 after more than two years of road construction projects on routes 80 and 287...

(DOT Spokesperson) Schapiro, however, said he believed the sign was installed earlier this year and not 2015 or earlier. He was not immediately able to determine if the current sign is new or a replacement.

Based on the description, I think this is where the sign is located.   https://goo.gl/maps/Hb1Q5diZVaT2  .  As of October 2016, it was a different sign.

Henry

I'm sure Parsippany is hard to spell, but I couldn't help but laugh.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

storm2k

On another note, what is with the letter stretching they're doing now that they're doing all mixed case signs? If you look at that W, it looks warped. This isn't isolated, either. I find that a lot of newer signs NJDOT is putting out with mixed case have warped looking W's and some other letters. Here is another example

PHLBOS

Quote from: storm2k on September 20, 2017, 01:14:27 PMOn another note, what is with the letter stretching they're doing now that they're doing all mixed case signs? If you look at that W, it looks warped. This isn't isolated, either. I find that a lot of newer signs NJDOT is putting out with mixed case have warped looking W's and some other letters. Here is another example
I noticed similar on distance signs along I-295 (for Ewing) as well.  The intended font for these mixed-case signs is either Series D or C (depending on location & number of letters involved); but the lower-case w is neither of those (in its purest form).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

Quote from: Alps on September 19, 2017, 11:33:43 PM
They're fixing a sign next week that is on my commute route. I think I can make this work.
Would you believe they fixed it today?

storm2k

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 20, 2017, 01:24:19 PM
Quote from: storm2k on September 20, 2017, 01:14:27 PMOn another note, what is with the letter stretching they're doing now that they're doing all mixed case signs? If you look at that W, it looks warped. This isn't isolated, either. I find that a lot of newer signs NJDOT is putting out with mixed case have warped looking W's and some other letters. Here is another example
I noticed similar on distance signs along I-295 (for Ewing) as well.  The intended font for these mixed-case signs is either Series D or C (depending on location & number of letters involved); but the lower-case w is neither of those (in its purest form).

I feel like they're using series C and stretching it in whatever CADD program they're using to be the proportions they want.

plain

Quote from: storm2k on September 20, 2017, 01:14:27 PM
On another note, what is with the letter stretching they're doing now that they're doing all mixed case signs? If you look at that W, it looks warped. This isn't isolated, either. I find that a lot of newer signs NJDOT is putting out with mixed case have warped looking W's and some other letters. Here is another example.

On another note..  you think they have enough signs on that street? Damn Lmao
Newark born, Richmond bred

storm2k

Saw this sign on Roosevelt Ave in Carteret recently.

No one has used an ampersand for a joint 1-9 sign in many, many years. Plus, in Middlesex County, I've only ever seen it as individual shields.

jeffandnicole

NJDOT has cleared out the brush and overgrown weeds from the former I-295 Northbound Rest Area between Exits 47 & 52.  Looks real nice in there now...although I don't know of any permanent plans for them using the area again.  On Monday, they did remove the jersey barrier blocking the entrance and used it as a mobile Commercial Motor Vehicle inspection area...which with a State Trooper out front watching for trucks caused a significant morning rush hour jam approaching this area.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 04, 2017, 11:44:34 AM
NJDOT has cleared out the brush and overgrown weeds from the former I-295 Northbound Rest Area between Exits 47 & 52.  Looks real nice in there now...although I don't know of any permanent plans for them using the area again.  On Monday, they did remove the jersey barrier blocking the entrance and used it as a mobile Commercial Motor Vehicle inspection area...which with a State Trooper out front watching for trucks caused a significant morning rush hour jam approaching this area.
Wasn't that one the infamous Howard Stern rest stop that then-Gov. Whitman erected a plaque in his honor during the 90s?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 04, 2017, 12:22:51 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 04, 2017, 11:44:34 AM
Wasn't that one the infamous Howard Stern rest stop that then-Gov. Whitman erected a plaque in his honor during the 90s?

I never knew if it was the NB or SB rest stop.

jeffandnicole

New Jersey's portion of 'completing I-95' will cost them $1,188,833.  This is for the signing work that'll modify or replace the existing signage, generally along NJ's existing portion of I-95 from the Delaware River to US 1.

The work is scheduled to be completed by June, 2018.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/business/procurement/ConstrServ/documents/BidTabs17137.pdf

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 05, 2017, 11:46:59 AM
New Jersey's portion of 'completing I-95' will cost them $1,188,833.  This is for the signing work that'll modify or replace the existing signage, generally along NJ's existing portion of I-95 from the Delaware River to US 1.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/business/procurement/ConstrServ/documents/BidTabs17137.pdf
I wonder what the cost difference would be had this stretch been redesignated as I-695 instead of an extension of I-295?  The former scenario would've kept the mile markers & interchange numbers between the Scudder Falls Bridge & the US 1 interchange as is.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 05, 2017, 11:56:22 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 05, 2017, 11:46:59 AM

I wonder what the cost difference would be had this stretch been redesignated as I-695 instead of an extension of I-295?  The former scenario would've kept the mile markers & interchange numbers between the Scudder Falls Bridge & the US 1 interchange as is.

Probably very little.  It appears they are using the opportunity to replace all the BGSs, which means the exit number tabs are part of the replacement.  I believe some of the lighting and a few sign structures are being replaced as well.

NJ is in the middle of a huge program to upgrade their MMs.  I can't tell by the GSV (last taken 2013) if this area of 95 already had theirs upgraded.  If not, then they were saving it for the conversion so no cost savings there either.

Other costs may have increased, such as potentially needing "End x95, Begin x95" signage in both directions at the 295/695 dividing line.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 05, 2017, 01:04:59 PMOther costs may have increased, such as potentially needing "End x95, Begin x95" signage in both directions at the 295/695 dividing line.
Such could be done by simply placing I-695 shields over the I-95 shields on the existing END/BEGIN signs that are there today.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.