News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Striping Fails/Mistakes

Started by adventurernumber1, September 23, 2014, 10:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 22, 2016, 08:51:54 PM
This was a pretty glaring/terrifying error.  On IL43 on the far northern edge of Chicago, there are no white skip dashes to speak of. 

Each direction of travel is about 20-22 feet wide, so traffic sorts itself into two lanes in each direction.  Surely they didn't intend for one 22' lane of travel.  Here's the location on GSV- you can see cars sorting into two lanes there, too.  File this under the "negligence" folder for striping fails.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0002432,-87.806769,3a,65.5y,2.7h,80.87t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sYnHzAIy9nBfZHAU-OiX3ZA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DYnHzAIy9nBfZHAU-OiX3ZA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D99.902046%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656

How is that a striping fail?  Edge lines aren't required, and I've seen numerous roads like this.  Personally, it appears the street is only supposed to be one lane per direction, and somehow it became quasi-permitted for it to be 2 lanes per direction...with a passing zone as well!

spooky

colinstu

Agreed on not seeing how that's a fail. It's the norm in most of Wisconsin.

The only places where it's different is where a road has been recently 'updated' and made safer, normally by either striping in a bike lane, adding curb bumpouts at intersections/ped crossings, and/or both.

jakeroot

Quote from: slorydn1 on May 31, 2016, 08:16:33 AM
Actually in response to Jake's question, yes on street parking was allowed there in the 1980's. I am not sure if that is still the case now. I did my freshman year of college just a few blocks north of this street view link at Niles College of Loyola University. Alas, it is gone now (my dorm was in what is now Pioneer Park at the corner of Harlem and Touhy).

There are time restrictions on the parking, but there are times when it's allowed:

https://goo.gl/OV8vQd

Quote from: colinstu on May 31, 2016, 09:12:43 AM
Agreed on not seeing how that's a fail. It's the norm in most of Wisconsin.
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 31, 2016, 08:34:52 AM
How is that a striping fail?  Edge lines aren't required, and I've seen numerous roads like this.  Personally, it appears the street is only supposed to be one lane per direction, and somehow it became quasi-permitted for it to be 2 lanes per direction...with a passing zone as well!

We already discussed this on the last page. The edges are for parking. We already came to the conclusion that there was no error.

jay8g

Another TWLTL fail... repeated the whole rest of the block!

RobbieL2415

End of MA 88 S in Westport. Lane stripes seem to disappear past the bridge.  No signage indicating a lane drop.  Not even the exit lane is striped (though that's par-for-the-course for the former MassHighway/current MassDOT): https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5155127,-71.0671227,3a,75y,167h,73.04t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sr_JZf6Zhha5Ju7UAyRK66g!2e0!5s20120901T000000!7i13312!8i6656

peterj920

colinstu

striping fail or does the sign need to change now? :D

adventurernumber1

I wish I had storage to take a picture at the time, but they resurfaced Interstate 75 in Georgia from Dalton to the Tennessee line back in Summer 2016. They completely messed up with the striping on the section from roughly Exit 350 (GA SR 2; Battlefield Parkway) to the TN line. There was much disparity between the first set of broken stripes, and the final (larger) set of broken stripes that is usually fitted right on top of the previous set (after a resurfacing). The disparity was so much going Southbound that instead of three regular travel lanes it looked like three HOV lanes (going by Georgia's style of HOV lane striping). They seem to have fixed it up now by getting rid of the broken stripes that weren't in the right place.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Brandon

This was a pretty glaring/terrifying error.  On IL43 on the far northern edge of Chicago, there are no white skip dashes to speak of. 

Each direction of travel is about 20-22 feet wide, so traffic sorts itself into two lanes in each direction.  Surely they didn't intend for one 22' lane of travel.  Here's the location on GSV- you can see cars sorting into two lanes there, too.  File this under the "negligence" folder for striping fails.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0002432,-87.806769,3a,65.5y,2.7h,80.87t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sYnHzAIy9nBfZHAU-OiX3ZA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DYnHzAIy9nBfZHAU-OiX3ZA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D99.902046%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656

Less to do with negligence than with Chicago driving habits.  This is intended to be a two-lane street with parking.  The locals (called FIBs by Cheeseheads for a very good reason) tend to turn any street wide enough for four lanes into a four-lane street.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Brandon on January 03, 2017, 12:19:41 PM

Less to do with negligence than with Chicago driving habits.  This is intended to be a two-lane street with parking.  The locals (called FIBs by Cheeseheads for a very good reason) tend to turn any street wide enough for four lanes into a four-lane street.

I agree. I have seen roads just like this in the neighborhoods of Birmingham, Alabama. Very wide roads with dashed yellow stripes, and no dashed or solid white striping whatsoever. I agree that it is simply intended to be a two-lane road with room for parallel parking on the edges. On these roads I have seen on Birmingham, often times the edges were in fact partially filled up with parked cars.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

hbelkins

Can't remember where, but saw on Facebook over the weekend a picture that showed striping over dog crap.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman

Quote from: hbelkins on January 03, 2017, 03:31:17 PM
Can't remember where, but saw on Facebook over the weekend a picture that showed striping over dog crap.
That's not a striping fail, just a candidate for the "not my job" contest.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Back in 1996, PennDOT actually paved over a deer carcass along PA 895.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SignGeek101

Wouldn't call this a fail or mistake, but I am intrigued as to why this was done, considering the lines were painted at the same time:

https://goo.gl/maps/Nm9X1FfNxsz

jakeroot

Quote from: SignGeek101 on January 08, 2017, 12:08:09 AM
Wouldn't call this a fail or mistake, but I am intrigued as to why this was done, considering the lines were painted at the same time:

https://goo.gl/maps/Nm9X1FfNxsz

Maybe they designed the extra asphalt as a bike lane, so they painted a double-solid to disallow driving in said lane (otherwise it would be a shoulder, and vehicles would be allowed to drive in it).

ibagli

The OH-16 offramps to Old Riley Road near Frazeysburg have the left and right turn lanes separated with yellow stripes and crosshatches. (They were originally built with two lanes to turn south, but the center lanes were striped over...in yellow...after the decline of the Longaberger factory down the road.)

Mr. Matté

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 03, 2017, 04:01:49 PM
Back in 1996, PennDOT actually paved over a deer carcass along PA 895.

Recent example of at least the Mercer Co., NJ DOT not striping over a skunk (though since it was in the shoulder, the white stripe's already there): link, NSFsqueamish
(From this blog I occasionally read)

jay8g

This seems like a serious issue -- a marked left turn lane that would send you the wrong way down a dual carriageway!

jakeroot

Quote from: jay8g on February 18, 2017, 01:18:47 AM
This seems like a serious issue -- a marked left turn lane that would send you the wrong way down a dual carriageway!

Holy crap! Maybe a left turn was eliminated but the turn lane was not? That's a pretty egregious error regardless.

jay8g

Looking at old street view, the main road was already divided by the time the side road was built, and there is no trace of a left-turn cut through. I'm guessing that the developer was following a template, and no one reviewed it properly...

kphoger

If I were the one painting the arrow on the pavement, I'd definitely be making a phone call first.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

7/8

Here's some photos I posted in the Western Canada Road Projects thread. These were taken on TCH 16 east of Saskatoon. The white lines are the current markings, while the yellow lines are the old markings.

Quote from: 7/8 on April 28, 2017, 10:45:51 PM

SignGeek101

Saw this today on a one way street.

Hard to tell, but for some reason the lane marking nearest the bottom left is yellow. White paint was partially painted on top of it.

CtrlAltDel

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.