News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-90/Business 90 (Main St) North Sheridan Wyo. Interchange Relocation

Started by andy3175, October 20, 2014, 10:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy3175

The North Main Street (Business Loop I-90) interchange (Exit 20) along Interstate 90 in Sheridan, Wyoming, is proposed to be relocated as part of an overall plan to improve streetscaping and economic development along the North Main Street corridor.

http://www.sheridanwy.net/north-sheridan-interchange

This site shows illustrations of the proposed relocation and reconfiguration of the North Main interchange where Interstate 90 meets Business Loop I-90 and Business U.S. 14-87/Main Street. The existing trumpet interchange is proposed to be eliminated and replaced with a park. A new diamond interchange would be constructed a bit further to the north that would connect directly with an extension of North Main Street. As part of this, Decker Road (Wyoming 338) would be relocated to terminate at the new Business Loop I-90 interchange.

http://www.sheridanwy.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/North-Main-I90-Interchange-Visioning-Process-and-Results.pdf

QuoteThe success of the $15 million dollar improvements to North Main Street from North First Street to Fort Road is due in large part to the revitalization efforts led by the North Main Association and the City of Sheridan. A top priority for the North Main project throughout has been to jump start North Main revitalization. The project is impressive, but not yet complete. Further street improvements are planned from Fort Street to the I-90 interchange, and at the same time North Main Association is developing economic development strategies to compliment the new upgrades.

Adding to the complexity and potential of the North Main project, in 2010 after a thorough process, WYDOT announced the decision to relocate the current I-90 Interchange. The possibility of relocating the interchange had been mentioned for years; specific public comments addressing a new interchange are recorded in the North Main Master Plan (NMMP) of 2008 as well as the North Main Economic Strategy Development Plan (NMEST) of 2012.

http://www.dot.state.wy.us/files/live/sites/wydot/files/shared/Environmental_Services/Documents/North%20Sheridan%20Interchange/FONSI%20FINAL%2006.21.12.pdf

More on the proposed design is shown in the Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) document, which dates back to June 2012.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

SD Mapman

That... sounds awesome.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

corco

I hate seeing this nice old sign go away

But I do think it's probably a good idea. That part of Sheridan peters out pretty quickly. Downtown is gorgeous, but I suspect most people don't get that far, or they get off at that trumpet, go to the Exxon right there, and get back on. Moving the interchange north to force people to go into town will probably cause them to continue to WYO 336 to get back on I-90, making them see a lot more of what Sheridan has to offer.

andy3175

Update ... work on relocating the North Main interchange is scheduled this year, in 2016. The project is scheduled to take three years (through 2019) and include changes to three miles of Interstate 90 itself along with changes to the road network in and around Exit 20. The trumpet interchange will be eliminated, and a new diamond interchange will take its place a bit further to the northwest.

http://thesheridanpress.com/?p=41525

Here is a quick map that shows the proposed interchange relocation and resultant changes to the alignments of both Business 90 and WYO 338:

QuoteThree miles of Interstate 90 will be replaced starting in 2016 to improve the interchange at North Main Street.

State officials have set the total project cost at approximately $55 million.

Wyoming Department of Transportation spokeswoman Ronda Holwell said that should be close to the total project cost.

"That's the WYDOT cost, the city cost,"  she said. "What an engineer would have to come in and bid it at."

Rick Newton, of the Wyoming Transportation Commission, said the project is going to be the state's biggest project moving forward.

"It's the biggest in the state for 2016,"  he said.

That $55 million estimate comes from a draft of WYDOT's State Transportation Improvement Program, which lays out all of the projects planned in the coming year and what each will cost.

After six years of discussion, the North Main Interchange (exit 20) has made the list. ...

The project will require a realignment of Wyoming Highway 338, commonly called Decker Road.

The south end of that route will become an extension of North Main Street to the new junction with I-90. The Decker Road underpass will be removed and the route will no longer pass under I-90, but all accesses from Decker Road will be maintained.

Both northbound and southbound I-90 bridges over the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad, immediately east of the existing interchange, will be replaced.

The three miles of I-90 being reconstructed are located between mileposts 19.5 and 22.5.

Work also includes rebuilding a half-mile of North Main Street north from the intersection with Wyoming Highway 337, or Fort Road.

What hasn't yet been decided is in what order the project will be completed. ...

The project was first discussed 20 years ago while discussing Sheridan's port of entry.

When the port of entry was moved to I-90 exit 16, improvements to North Main were relatively forgotten.

Six years ago the project was brought back up because of the sharp curve of the on ramp and off ramps, relatively steep grades, and short acceleration and deceleration lanes. After many meetings and discussions through the past six years the state is planning to back the project.

Holwell said at this point, there isn't any turning back.

"It's going to go,"  she said.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Kniwt

Resurrecting this old thread to note that, yes, this project is now almost finished. The bulk of the remaining work is on the city streets, especially the new ones that were essentially created out of nothing. Final repaving of I-90 was in progress as of Thursday. The Street View car hasn't visited yet. A new travel plaza / truck stop is now open at the new interchange.

https://sheridanwy.net/construction_project/north-sheridan-interchange-project

Lots of photos here: https://www.facebook.com/North-Sheridan-Interchange-603539023157812/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.