News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

RIP-Rochester Inner Loop East

Started by ARMOURERERIC, November 23, 2014, 03:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

I generally go with the traffic data report, which I would expect agrees with the inventory since it's made by the same group (Highway Data Services) while the touring route log isn't (Traffic and Safety).  The touring route log isn't necessarily up to date (Traffic and Safety doesn't feel like making a new book for every little change, so they just put out a new edition with all the changes since the last one when they feel like it).  And, of course, it has odd stuff like the discontinuous I-495 thing (I assume a result of taking the functional class a bit too literally, as the portion of I-495 they call NY 495 really is classified Principal Arterial Expressway instead of Principal Arterial Interstate).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on June 19, 2016, 04:46:49 PM
I generally go with the traffic data report, which I would expect agrees with the inventory since it's made by the same group (Highway Data Services) while the touring route log isn't (Traffic and Safety).  The touring route log isn't necessarily up to date (Traffic and Safety doesn't feel like making a new book for every little change, so they just put out a new edition with all the changes since the last one when they feel like it).  And, of course, it has odd stuff like the discontinuous I-495 thing (I assume a result of taking the functional class a bit too literally, as the portion of I-495 they call NY 495 really is classified Principal Arterial Expressway instead of Principal Arterial Interstate).

And the book isn't terribly precise in all instances. Back when NY 495 was still I-495, the 1970 route log lists it as beginning at the Lincoln Tunnel and running thence to the LIE and east from there–essentially skipping over the gap in the route that was temporary then and has now become permanent.

(And yes, some of the language in the current book is still derived from such older editions; it's never been rewritten top to bottom as far as I can tell.)

cl94

I don't trust the book worth a damn. It doesn't include the northernmost part of I-787, for example, which we all know enters Rensselaer County (even according to all signage on the Troy side).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

empirestate

I just posted a video in this thread, which has a lot of footage pertinent to the building of the original Inner Loop–much of which looks eerily similar to the present-day scene as it's being dismantled.

silverback1065

Here's an article written about the inner loop http://www.citylab.com/commute/2016/09/burying-a-1950s-planning-disaster/498203/

Nexus 9

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.