News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

SB 49: The battle of I-90

Started by OCGuy81, February 02, 2015, 10:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

Not sure why, but my inner roadgeek thought of this last Super Bowl as two teams fighting on each end of I-90.

We've all heard similar phrases like a Subway Series (NY Mets vs NY Yankees).

Any other road/transportation related matchups come into your mind?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Grzrd

The Seahawks asserted their belief that pooing is cool:

Feeding the Beast would have been waaaaaay more cool ...........

Henry

BTW, the Patriots' victory parade has been moved back to tomorrow in Boston.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Brandon

Quote from: Henry on February 03, 2015, 12:57:57 PM
BTW, the Patriots' victory parade has been moved back to tomorrow in Boston.

Will it be inflated or flat?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

sbeaver44

Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 02, 2015, 10:10:39 AM

Steelers-Eagles or any Philly-Pittsburgh matchup has been referred to as the Turnpike battle.  Technically, the turnpike only serves the metro areas, but close enough.

I do recall ESPN once bringing up the fact that Duke and UNC were just a few miles apart on "15-501 highway"

OCGuy81

I've heard games between the Milwaukee Brewers and Chicago Cubs referred to as an I-94 series before.  Forgot that one.

Buck87

Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 02, 2015, 10:10:39 AM

Cardinals-Royals "I-70 series"

The term originated when they played for the first time in the 1985 World Series and still gets used today for their interleague games. It's also called the "Show-me series" which I think is a better name for it.

Henry

The Battle of I-71 is another, applying to games that involve the Browns and Bengals, and also the Indians/Reds interleague matchups.

And then you have the Battle of I-85 involving teams from Atlanta and Charlotte, even though Falcons/Panthers is clearly more intense than Hawks/Hornets, especially in recent years.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

PHLBOS

Apparently, somebody who designs New England Patriots-themed t-shirts must be either a road or sign geek.

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Championships "Entering" sign

I just received mine in the mail yesterday.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cpzilliacus

Baltimore Orioles and the Washington Nationals, "Parkway Series" (as in the Baltimore-Washington Parkway), a phrase that dates back to the days of the Washington Senators prior to 1971.

Baltimore Ravens vs. the Washington Redskins is often referred to as the "Battle of the Beltways."
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Desert Man

Once was there a super bowl involved 2 CA teams: SF 49ers defeated the San Diego Chargers in 1995. The ideal super bowl for me would be the 49ers vs Oakland Raiders, unless the city of LA brings them back. The Rams may return to LA, since the cities of Inglewood approved and Carson votes on proposed stadiums. LA had 2 decades without the NFL, an oddity in sports since LA is the nation's 2nd largest sports market: 2 baseball, 2 basketball (Lakers and Clippers) and 2 hockey (Kings and Ducks) teams.

I have yet seen a "freeway or I-5" world series between the LA Dodgers and CA/Anaheim/LA Angels, and there were 4 world series involved both CA teams: Dodgers vs Oakland As in 1974 and 88, the "Bay area" or "earthquake" series when a M7.1 tremor shook the area while the Giants-A's played in 1989 and SF Giants vs Angels' first WS title in 2002. Interestingly, the I-5 goes to San Diego where the Padres play.

About the SB: The one-yard debate on the 4th quarter :20 and the teams fight in :18  (Irvin #51 of Seahawks rejected). Already the SB champ Patriots are under heat over the "deflategate" controversy in the AFC title game. What I loved about this SB was the Seahawks lose their previous title, and Richard Sherman was all calm, cool and anticipating his new baby later that month. I remember the last SB was nicknamed the "Super BOWL" since CO (Denver Broncos) and WA state legalized rec use of marijuana.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Billy F 1988

You know, it didn't surprise me too much that Wilson threw Seattle's chances of winning two in a row out the window. I still consider them champions in every regard, but the way they played the last two minutes of the game made me think otherwise beyond that. The team could have taken a 31-28 win instead of getting slammed with a 28-24 loss to New England. After the game, that was what my first post-game thought was. Russell Wilson, gifted as he is, just threw the most important moment away from Seattle and truth be told, being the NFL heretic I am, I kind of found fault in Wilson for throwing the game away. He could have just had Beast Mode run it in instead of passing the ball in the air only to be intercepted. I think he clearly fell for that one. My second thought, man this is gonna haunt Seattle fans for a long time making them wish they've never went to Super Bowl XLIV.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

The Nature Boy

Re: Transportation Related Games

The ACC schools in North Carolina are all within six miles of I-40.

tidecat

Mississippi State and Alabama are both off US 82.  Technically, they are also off the same exit on I-20/59.

This is not a signature
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

jp the roadgeek

A couple of years ago, we had the Frozen Four Whitney Ave National Championship game between Yale and Quinnipiac.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Buck87

US 23 runs through Columbus and Ann Arbor.....though I don't think I've ever heard any "battle of US 23" type stuff used to describe anything regarding Ohio State vs. Michigan. It's always just called "The Game"

dvferyance

Super Bowl 41 was called the I-65 super bowl it was between Indianapolis and Chicago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.