News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Phoenix Area Highways

Started by swbrotha100, February 22, 2015, 07:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Roadwarriors79 on August 17, 2017, 04:06:07 PM
Notes from around the Phoenix area.

The Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway has its own Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/SouthMountainFreeway/

Checking out the actual construction zones, most of the current work is around I-10 between 51st Ave and 67th Ave, and current Pecos Rd in Ahwatukee.

There's also the south side of the I-10/Loop 303 interchange being worked on. Future Loop 303 and its frontage roads will transition into Cotton Lane south of Van Buren St. ADOT has some construction pics on its website, and I saw a few mentions on the ADOT Facebook page.

For those of you who love, hate, or love to hate Clearview, I have seen some newer ADOT signs put up around the Phoenix area. The only Clearview signs I noticed were around the I-10/Loop 303 area. I saw that signs on SB AZ 51 just before the Ministack were being replaced this past weekend.

If you are referring to newly installed signs, perhaps the signing contract for those near I-10/Loop 303 may have been created before the interim approval was rescinded.  However, in another thread there was mention of a bid for a sign replacement project in Northern Arizona and it still specified Clearview.

Kniwt

Work begins on I-17 project to automatically detect wrong-way drivers:
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix-traffic/2017/08/17/closures-planned-work-begins-wrong-way-driver-alert-system-i-17-phoenix/577179001/

QuoteThe system uses thermal cameras to detect a wrong-way vehicle driving on an off-ramp. That automatically triggers a wrong-way sign that will light up and flash in an effort to grab the attention of the impaired, distracted or confused driver. It is constructed by Mesa-based Contractors West Inc., which specializes in highway electrical and sign work.

The new system is designed to immediately alert ADOT and DPS faster than the current way, which is entirely dependent on 911 calls from other drivers.

A notice also will appear on overhead message boards alerting freeway motorists that someone might be coming their way.

(Will drivers really obey a red ramp metering light in the middle of the night?)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Kniwt on August 20, 2017, 07:53:44 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix-traffic/2017/08/17/closures-planned-work-begins-wrong-way-driver-alert-system-i-17-phoenix/577179001/

QuoteThe system uses thermal cameras to detect a wrong-way vehicle driving on an off-ramp. That automatically triggers a wrong-way sign that will light up and flash in an effort to grab the attention of the impaired, distracted or confused driver. It is constructed by Mesa-based Contractors West Inc., which specializes in highway electrical and sign work.

The new system is designed to immediately alert ADOT and DPS faster than the current way, which is entirely dependent on 911 calls from other drivers.

A notice also will appear on overhead message boards alerting freeway motorists that someone might be coming their way.

(Will drivers really obey a red ramp metering light in the middle of the night?)

Better than nothing, really the situation with wrong-way drivers has been an ongoing problem for decades on I-17.  A lot of people who don't understand the traffic ramifications locally are calling for spike strips.

US 89

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 20, 2017, 08:22:41 PM

Better than nothing, really the situation with wrong-way drivers has been an ongoing problem for decades on I-17.  A lot of people who don't understand the traffic ramifications locally are calling for spike strips.

Wow. I have never heard of that being such a big issue. Obviously it is, because they're spending a bunch of money on it. I would probably be scared to drive on that freeway at night (assuming it's a drunk driving thing?)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadguy2 on August 20, 2017, 10:27:29 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 20, 2017, 08:22:41 PM

Wow. I have never heard of that being such a big issue. Obviously it is, because they're spending a bunch of money on it. I would probably be scared to drive on that freeway at night (assuming it's a drunk driving thing?)

For the most part it has always been on the older sections of I-17 that were part of AZ 69.  Almost every instance I've heard of in the past two decades where someone went the wrong way involved booze.  The deal is that the Black Canyon Highway runs a twin frontage road on both sides of I-17.  In the older sections the frontage roads are right next to I-17 and the ramp exits resemble a right a turn.  So if you're lit on booze you can see the potential for problems, some of the new interchanges have the Black Canyon Highway pushed further away from I-17.

Roadwarriors79

So ADOT posted an update on the south half of the I-10/Loop 303 interchange construction, along with a video clip:

https://www.facebook.com/AZDOT/videos/1617492014989162/

Kniwt

Gilbert to switch left turn signals citywide from lagging-left to leading-left:
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/gilbert/2017/08/21/gilbert-changing-leading-left-turn-lagging-left-turn-lights/577422001/

QuoteAfter more than a decade of "lagging lefts," Gilbert will change its street signals to match how the majority of Phoenix-area drivers execute left-hand turns.

The council narrowly passed the change Thursday after a contentious discussion on the right way to turn left. The switch will roll out in the next two months.

Currently in Gilbert, drivers making a left turn don't get a green arrow until after the through traffic light turns red. In every other city in the Valley, excluding Scottsdale and Goodyear, left-turners get a green arrow before through traffic.

Gilbert drivers have been turning in this fashion since 2004, but the town's traffic engineers asked the council to revert to the old way to increase consistency and efficiency.

ztonyg

Quote from: Kniwt on August 22, 2017, 10:28:27 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/gilbert/2017/08/21/gilbert-changing-leading-left-turn-lagging-left-turn-lights/577422001/

QuoteAfter more than a decade of "lagging lefts," Gilbert will change its street signals to match how the majority of Phoenix-area drivers execute left-hand turns.

The council narrowly passed the change Thursday after a contentious discussion on the right way to turn left. The switch will roll out in the next two months.

Currently in Gilbert, drivers making a left turn don't get a green arrow until after the through traffic light turns red. In every other city in the Valley, excluding Scottsdale and Goodyear, left-turners get a green arrow before through traffic.

Gilbert drivers have been turning in this fashion since 2004, but the town's traffic engineers asked the council to revert to the old way to increase consistency and efficiency.

I prefer lagging lefts but there are definitely instances where leading lefts make sense.

Scottsdale is all over the map with some of its signals.

kdk

Quote from: ztonyg on August 22, 2017, 10:31:29 AM

I prefer lagging lefts but there are definitely instances where leading lefts make sense.

Scottsdale is all over the map with some of its signals.

I like the idea of lagging lefts too, but the problem I see is an area with a lot of tourists it's a big problem.  I live in Scottsdale, and most but not all are lagging, and usually works fine in the summer.  But the rest of the year with all of the out of state drivers, most are from areas with only leading left turn arrows.  They have never seen a lagging arrow so they will sit in turn lanes waiting for the next cycle and will just miss the arrow, holding up all the drivers behind them.  they just aren't paying attention. 
During certain times of year it will happen to me at least once a day.  Sometimes I can honk in time, but if they do go it's just in time for me to miss the arrow myself.  That's why I'm not surprised at studies showing that leading improves traffic speed times.

Roadwarriors79

Aerial of some Loop 202 (South Mountain Freeway) construction by Pecos Rd and 40th St.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gepHk5hpCkU&feature=youtu.be

Pink Jazz

Outside the Phoenix area on my weekend trip to Prescott, I saw some of ADOT's new Daktronics DMS on I-17, and they were the full color models.  They were displaying the Holiday Travel Corridor messages.  I wonder if these will be installed on the remaining portion of Loop 202 or will ADOT install the amber-only models.  ADOT's current contract with Daktronics includes both full color and amber-only DMS, so it remains to be seen what will be installed.

Interestingly, these new full color DMS were installed roadside on pedestals instead of overhead, a first for an ADOT freeway installation.  Previously ADOT only did such installations for arterials.

ztonyg

ADOT has a few quirks around the Phoenix area that I've just recently started to pay attention to.

1.) The Exit from S/B AZ 51 to I-10 and Loop 202 as well as the exit from W/B Northern Parkway to Loop 303 N/B and S/B are not numbered. All other freeway / freeway termini in the Phoenix areas have a number (Loop 202 W/B to AZ 51 / I-10 is Exit 1A, Loop 101 S/B to I-10 E/B is Exit 1A and Exit 1B, Loop 101 S/B to Loop 202 / Price Rd is Exit 61A, 61B, and 61C, Loop 303 S/B at I-10 is Exit 104A and Exit 104B.

2.) The signage on Loop 101 between US 60 and Loop 202 is totally different than all other freeway signage in the Phoenix area. On every other urban freeway segment other than Loop 101 between US 60 and Loop 202 ADOT uses Interchange Sequence Signs listing the next 2 - 3 exits in sequence approximately 1/4 mile before every interchange. On the aforementioned section of Loop 101 ADOT uses Interchange Advance Exit signs with the nearest exit on the right panel, the next nearest exit on the center panel, and if necessary the 3rd nearest exit on the left panel and these panels are placed approximately 3/4 miles ahead of every interchange. The only exception to this rule in this segment seems to be on Loop 101 N/B approximately 3/4 mile south of Ray Rd where the standard ADOT Interchange Sequence Sign is used but listing the next 3 exits as 3/4 mile, 1 3/4 mile, and 2 3/4 mile as opposed to the standard 1/4 mile, 1 1/4 mile, and 2 1/4 mile increments.

Roadwarriors79

This is an ADOT video on progress of the future I-10/Loop 202 interchange near 59th Ave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYtBv6onYZw

pumpkineater2

One thing I have noticed about the signage in the Phoenix area is that there are no control cities for the loops. The exits to the loop freeways from the non loops (US-60, I-10, I-17) Don't show any control cities. For example, At the loop 101 interchange with I-10, the signs just say "Loop 101 north". This pattern is repeated all across the system for interchanges with the loop freeways. I find this strange because there are plenty of good options for control cities on the loops. The sign I mentioned above could say "Peoria" and "Sun City" for the 101 north. I-17 south to loop 303 south could say "Surprise" and "Goodyear".
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

Pink Jazz

Quote from: pumpkineater2 on September 07, 2017, 01:56:41 PM
One thing I have noticed about the signage in the Phoenix area is that there are no control cities for the loops. The exits to the loop freeways from the non loops (US-60, I-10, I-17) Don't show any control cities. For example, At the loop 101 interchange with I-10, the signs just say "Loop 101 north". This pattern is repeated all across the system for interchanges with the loop freeways. I find this strange because there are plenty of good options for control cities on the loops. The sign I mentioned above could say "Peoria" and "Sun City" for the 101 north. I-17 south to loop 303 south could say "Surprise" and "Goodyear".

The only place where there are control cities is on Loop 202 EB for Loop 101, with Scottsdale being the control city for L101 NB and Chandler being the control city for L101 SB.  My guess is that these were added for the airport traffic.

Roadwarriors79

Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 07, 2017, 05:10:02 PM
Quote from: pumpkineater2 on September 07, 2017, 01:56:41 PM

The only place where there are control cities is on Loop 202 EB for Loop 101, with Scottsdale being the control city for L101 NB and Chandler being the control city for L101 SB.  My guess is that these were added for the airport traffic.

There used to be a control city of "Peoria/Sun City" on McDowell Rd approaching Loop 101 in the West Valley. There are currently signs for "Surprise" for Loop 303 NB on McDowell, Cotton Lane, and the frontage roads near the I-10/Loop 303 interchange.

jakeroot

After more than a decade of "lagging lefts," Gilbert will change its street signals to match how the majority of Phoenix-area drivers execute left-hand turns.

Hmmm. Why exactly does it have to be an all-or-nothing decision? Most municipalities in my area use leading lefts (outside of timed corridors), but a couple use combo lead/lag lefts a lot, particularly at locations with flashing yellow arrows.

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on September 08, 2017, 04:37:05 AM

After more than a decade of "lagging lefts," Gilbert will change its street signals to match how the majority of Phoenix-area drivers execute left-hand turns.

Hmmm. Why exactly does it have to be an all-or-nothing decision? Most municipalities in my area use leading lefts (outside of timed corridors), but a couple use combo lead/lag lefts a lot, particularly at locations with flashing yellow arrows.

Good traffic engineers wouldn't make it one-method-only decision across an entire jurisdiction. But I guess I'm assuming they'd be coordinating corridors of signal timing–in that case, lead/lag tends to be the best, but some intersections may be better all leading or all lagging depending on a variety of factors.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Pink Jazz

One thing I don't understand is why was PARC granted 501(c)(3) tax exempt status.  It seems they are more like a political advocacy group rather than a legitimate charity, so shouldn't they be classified as 501(c)(4) instead?

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on September 08, 2017, 10:31:36 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 08, 2017, 04:37:05 AM

Good traffic engineers wouldn't make it one-method-only decision across an entire jurisdiction. But I guess I'm assuming they'd be coordinating corridors of signal timing–in that case, lead/lag tends to be the best, but some intersections may be better all leading or all lagging depending on a variety of factors.

Given the long, straight arterial roads that criss-cross the Phoenix metro area, I would certainly hope that Gilbert at least attempts to coordinate their signals. Just using all lead or all lag doesn't work on a large scale (lag is probably more successful but only if there's flashing yellow arrows).

Pink Jazz

I got notification in an email today from ADOT that this Sunday they will start the DMS installation project on the remaining portion of the Loop 202 SanTan Freeway.  During next week, the foundation for the DMS between Higley and Power in the eastbound direction will be installed. 

Zonie

Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 08, 2017, 05:28:06 PM
One thing I don't understand is why was PARC granted 501(c)(3) tax exempt status.  It seems they are more like a political advocacy group rather than a legitimate charity, so shouldn't they be classified as 501(c)(4) instead?

I would agree on that front.  Just look slanderous and racist comments they made about Justice Humetawa's decision last year, or their delusional predictions of victory.  Oh, and their "alternatives:"

1. 8-10 lane Loop 202 on the Gila River Indian Community (GRIC), with permission.

Not happening.

2. Light rail along Pecos Road but going through a small portion of the GRIC (with permission) rather than cutting through South Mountain.

They whine about boondoggles, but this is insanity.

3. 8-10 lane Loop 202 following Baseline Road from 51st Ave to I-10.

Oh, so rip out a number of minority communities.  Yeah, that's the ticket.

4. 8-10 lane Loop 202 from I-10 near Avondale going along the west side of the Estrella Mountains and then cutting between the Estrella and Maricopa Mountains, following the southern boundary of the GRIC to the I-10 north of Casa Grande.

Useless.

5. 8-10 lane freeway along State Route 85 from I-10 at Buckeye to I-8 at Gila Bend as a "real"  truck by-pass.

Does nothing to alleviate traffic in the Broadway Curve.

6.  8-10 lane freeway along State Route 85 from I-10 at Buckeye, cutting between the Estrella and Maricopa Mountains and across to I-10 north of Casa Grande as a "real"  truck by-pass.

So let's pave over a National Monument...

7.  8-10 lane freeway along one of the routes described in 2, 3, or 4, and renumber it as the I-10 so all "through"  traffic would take this route as a default.

Or 'not in my backyard.'

8.  Renumber the I-10 through Phoenix as I-810 or the like, making it obvious that it is for Phoenix traffic only.

Right.  That'll solve everything.

Pink Jazz

Zonie

Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 12, 2017, 11:52:48 AM
And the injunction request to stop the blasting has been denied:
http://www.ahwatukee.com/article_bf2e87c6-970c-11e7-83e1-e35ccc01db02.html

"Denied," the court said, giving no further explanation.

Love it.

Pink Jazz

It looks like at least one of the new dynamic message signs on the remaining portion of Loop 202 may be installed on the median, since the base has been installed and there doesn't appear to be any space to install a double-arch monotube at that location due to a sound wall.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.