News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: Alps on July 16, 2017, 01:33:40 AM
There are a couple still in the Bronx, I believe. And at least one in Queens.
Anyone still have pictures of those?

Mergingtraffic

Some random pics I took:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WSBim3]

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

cpzilliacus

N.Y. Times: Open-Road Tolls Could Pave the Way for Manhattan Congestion Pricing

QuoteAs debate about creating a toll system to limit traffic in the most congested parts of Manhattan heats up, a transformation in technology could make congestion pricing a far more realistic notion than when it was last proposed a decade ago.

QuoteBy the end of the year, nine crossings around the city will employ an open-road, cashless collection system that does away with tollbooths, toll lanes and toll collectors. Instead, sensors and cameras installed both above the road and in the pavement itself will capture cars and trucks as they zip by at full speed — automatically charging the 90 percent of drivers with E-ZPass transponders, and billing the other 10 percent by mail.

QuoteA decade ago, when the Bloomberg administration first proposed congestion pricing, such tolling technology was in its infancy and not widely used. Now, it is in place in some 35 jurisdictions, and its deployment in New York is the most ambitious use of the technology in a complicated urban setting.

QuoteGov. Andrew M. Cuomo, who had not shown any enthusiasm for congestion pricing, has embraced the idea of late as a way to raise billions of dollars for the city's ailing subway system. But Mayor Bill de Blasio has been steadfast in his opposition, and has instead pushed a plan to raise transportation funds by increasing taxes on wealthy New Yorkers.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cl94

I'd take congestion pricing in Manhattan over the speed cameras Blas keeps advocating. Congestion pricing could do a ton of good, especially if freight rates are high enough to encourage more off-hours delivery. A shocking number of NYC's speed cameras are in locations illegal under NY law, anyway.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: cl94 on August 26, 2017, 10:52:32 PM
I'd take congestion pricing in Manhattan over the speed cameras Blas keeps advocating. Congestion pricing could do a ton of good, especially if freight rates are high enough to encourage more off-hours delivery. A shocking number of NYC's speed cameras are in locations illegal under NY law, anyway.

Congestion pricing is an attempt to move traffic by setting a price on it.

Automated traffic enforcement in most places is about raising revenue, ideally from out-of-town drivers who do not know where there is automated enforcement equipment installed.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

vdeane

Well, the congestion pricing plan here is about raising revenue too, for the MTA.

Quote from: cl94 on August 26, 2017, 10:52:32 PM
The law authorizing the speed cameras defines a school zone as anything within X amount of feet of a school (any school).  X is set high enough to cover something like 75-80% of the city.  NYC wants X raised to cover 100% of the city and the cap on the number of cameras allowed to be eliminated.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

RestrictOnTheHanger

As of this morning there is a new BGS on the southbound  FDR just before exit 4, the font looks like a hybrid of Highway Gothic and Clearview. It is really ugly, I'll try to get a pic from the bus tomorrow

Mergingtraffic

Does anyone know how they're going to reconfigure I-278 West after the VNB in place of the toll booths? The road is very wide there with all the ramps off the expressway/bridge.

cl94

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on October 02, 2017, 03:15:16 PM
Does anyone know how they're going to reconfigure I-278 West after the VNB in place of the toll booths? The road is very wide there with all the ramps off the expressway/bridge.

I doubt they'll make any substantial changes in the relatively-near future other than adding a bridge so upper level traffic can exit (like they did with the EB side when those toll booths finally came down a few years ago). The wide ROW will give them room for that. They might add an accident investigation area in there.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

storm2k

Basically, there are two overhead electronic toll gantries. Last time I was through there back in August, there were still some of the concrete barriers from each toll lane, but they're ridding themselves of a lot of the roadway overall.

Alps

I know exactly how, but if it hasn't been released, I can't tell you. Just keep in mind that there is an Upper and a Lower, so if there's no toll booth, they don't necessarily need to come together so quickly.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on October 02, 2017, 06:38:07 PM
I know exactly how, but if it hasn't been released, I can't tell you. Just keep in mind that there is an Upper and a Lower, so if there's no toll booth, they don't necessarily need to come together so quickly.

If it's a NYSDOT project, it hasn't been released. Assuming things haven't changed since I last spoke with NYCDOT (and I'm not bound to secrecy), it'll be somewhat similar to the south side so trucks can safely and legally get to the exits.

Mergingtraffic

Good to know thanks!  are the remaining button copy WB signs endangered?  I haven't seen any work near the gantries.

cl94

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on October 02, 2017, 07:58:41 PM

Good to know thanks!  are the remaining button copy WB signs endangered?  I haven't seen any work near the gantries.

That has been made public and yes. R11 is doing a major citywide sign replacement. Any remaining button copy is scheduled to be removed by 2020 or so.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: cl94 on October 02, 2017, 08:04:22 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on October 02, 2017, 07:58:41 PM

That has been made public and yes. R11 is doing a major citywide sign replacement. Any remaining button copy is scheduled to be removed by 2020 or so.

I guess cherish these while you can

That means the FDR as well or is that a NYC DOT maintained road?

Mergingtraffic

Anybody know what was originally on the sign under the Icahn Stadium overlay?

Alps

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on October 04, 2017, 04:30:57 PM

"Icahn Stadium was built on the footprint of the old Municipal Stadium.'

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Alps on October 04, 2017, 06:39:12 PM

"Icahn Stadium was built on the footprint of the old Municipal Stadium.'

Interesting....also the Bruckner Right Lanes and Deegan etc Left Lanes signs are still up.....for now. (Sigh) Couldn't get a pic.

route17fan

Downing Stadium :)
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Duke87

Can report on the new configuration at the Throgs Neck: the right lane coming from the Cross Bronx now ends prior to the merge. The Harding Ave exit has a more pronounced decel lane since it begins from the hatched out old lane.

Traffic from 695 already had a lane drop before the merge. The left lane coming from it now ends after the merge.

As of Monday night only part of the toll plaza had been removed and traffic was still passing through three of the old lanes (at slow speed, creating some congestion).

Will certainly be interesting to see how well this operates when done. Previously, the toll plaza effectively metered traffic entering the bridge. I suspect there will still be congestion, except now it will be sluggish across the bridge and possibly jammed up entering the Cross Island instead of held back behind the toll plaza.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on October 04, 2017, 08:58:50 PM
Can report on the new configuration at the Throgs Neck: the right lane coming from the Cross Bronx now ends prior to the merge. The Harding Ave exit has a more pronounced decel lane since it begins from the hatched out old lane.

Traffic from 695 already had a lane drop before the merge. The left lane coming from it now ends after the merge.

As of Monday night only part of the toll plaza had been removed and traffic was still passing through three of the old lanes (at slow speed, creating some congestion).

Will certainly be interesting to see how well this operates when done. Previously, the toll plaza effectively metered traffic entering the bridge. I suspect there will still be congestion, except now it will be sluggish across the bridge and possibly jammed up entering the Cross Island instead of held back behind the toll plaza.
I will be interested as well. I had worked on an alternative design that preserved merging lane parity and then squeezed the center lanes together. The theory predicted that what's now out there resulted in traffic too dense for the weave from I-695 to the exit before the bridge, and subsequent breakdown in flow during peak hours. Reality and theory often don't align, though.

Duke87

What also should happen once work is finished is that the onramp from Harding Ave should be open 24/7, since the reason for closing it rush hours and weekends in the first place (prevent people from driving through the neighborhood to jump the queue at the toll plaza) will no longer exist.

I'm not holding my breath for this, though.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

ixnay

Quote from: route17fan on October 04, 2017, 07:25:22 PM

Downing Stadium :)

Home in 1974 to the World Football League's NY Stars.  By the end of the season they'd become the Charlotte Hornets.

ixnay

D-Dey65

Another question; What's with the Steinway Street bridges and dead end street over the Grand Central Parkway?

Alps

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 06, 2017, 10:20:30 PM
Another question; What's with the Steinway Street bridges and dead end street over the Grand Central Parkway?

I think this was asked years ago and it wasn't a street at all, but parking for some building in the median that for some reason wasn't removed. Possibly a power plant or the like.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.