News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Hello from the 'nati

Started by jbnati27, September 02, 2015, 04:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnati27

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I've been a long time road geek since my pre-teen years. I have a huge road atlas collection. I even used to draw my own maps of Interstate Highways as a teenager. There's always an intrigue of seeing a new Interstate Highway, US Route, or State Route marker for the first time. Heck, I'll even route myself different ways to pick up a new route.

If I need to give my mind a break, I can be found virtually exploring highways on AARoads or Google Street level view.

It's good to know I'm not alone in this obsession!

-JB

iBallasticwolf2

Welcome from Northern Kentucky!
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

jbnati27

SignGeek101

Welcome from sweltering Winnipeg!

Alex

Welcome to the board!

I also have an extensive collection of road atlases including just about every Rand from 1958 onward and over 2,200 folding maps. Love that old cartography.

TravelingBethelite

Greetings from northern Fairfield County, Connecticut! I don't have quite the collection but I share that same feeling on seeing a new route shield. Same on the out-of-the-way routing. I think we all have a bit of all of that being roadgeeks. Welcome!  :nod: :sombrero: :wave:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

jakeroot

Greetings citizen! I think about half the members of this forum are from Ohio, so you'll feel right at home.

vtk

Quote from: jakeroot on September 02, 2015, 08:42:53 PM
I think about half the members of this forum are from Ohio,

I'm not sure that's right. Maybe it's just that we're so loud, we sound like we make up half the forum.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

jakeroot

Quote from: vtk on September 02, 2015, 08:54:22 PM

I'm not sure that's right. Maybe it's just that we're so loud, we sound like we make up half the forum.

That sounds about right. :-D

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: jakeroot on September 02, 2015, 08:57:09 PM

And then a quarter New England, and an eighth each of Arkansas and Florida.  :rofl:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

hotdogPi

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on September 02, 2015, 08:59:03 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 02, 2015, 08:57:09 PM

And then a quarter New England, and an eighth each of Arkansas and Florida.  :rofl:

Are you lumping Canada in with New England?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

jbnati27

Thanks everyone for the welcome!! :wave:

jbnati27

Quote from: Alex on September 02, 2015, 08:14:19 PM
I also have an extensive collection of road atlases including just about every Rand from 1958 onward and over 2,200 folding maps. Love that old cartography.

Oooh! That sounds awesome! Mine only date back to 1975. I did score a WV/VA/NC map from the 1940s at an antique store awhile back.

The clinched interstates link in your signature is pretty cool!

jbnati27

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on September 02, 2015, 08:36:06 PM
Greetings from northern Fairfield County, Connecticut! I don't have quite the collection but I share that same feeling on seeing a new route shield. Same on the out-of-the-way routing. I think we all have a bit of all of that being roadgeeks. Welcome!  :nod: :sombrero: :wave:

Yeah, usually I have to keep my excitement to myself so people don't think I'm too weird. I did get to see US72 for the first time this spring, and I was on a bike, so I got to savor it a bit longer, LOL.

freebrickproductions

Welcome from the heart of the Tennessee Valley!
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jbnati27

Alex

Quote from: jbnati27 on September 03, 2015, 11:31:27 AM
Quote from: Alex on September 02, 2015, 08:14:19 PM

Oooh! That sounds awesome! Mine only date back to 1975. I did score a WV/VA/NC map from the 1940s at an antique store awhile back.

Yard sales, flea markets, asking people I know, Ebay, birthday and Christmas gifts, etc. is how I amassed going back to my first atlas in 1984. I only recently got them all organized and have an updated spreadsheet with what I have. This also allowed me to give away away duplicates to both forum members here and road friends I know in person. Am planning on going to Florida's largest flea market on Monday to scour for more!

Quote from: jbnati27 on September 03, 2015, 11:31:27 AM
The clinched interstates link in your signature is pretty cool!

Thanks. I used to have to manually update the pages for the others listed on the Clinched page site before or have them upload their updated html. That became too cumbersome and most of the lists on there are way out of date. We were working more recently on a database concept so that forum members could create and update their own. If that ever gets finished, we'll let everyone know.

GCrites

vtk

I'm in the Queen City now. And this time, it's personal.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

jbnati27

Yard sales, flea markets, asking people I know, Ebay, birthday and Christmas gifts, etc. is how I amassed going back to my first atlas in 1984. I only recently got them all organized and have an updated spreadsheet with what I have. This also allowed me to give away away duplicates to both forum members here and road friends I know in person. Am planning on going to Florida's largest flea market on Monday to scour for more!
Very cool! Hope you were able to find some good stuff.

jbnati27

ModernDayWarrior

Welcome from southeast Missouri!

Zeffy

Greetings from the Garden State! I hope to visit Cincinnati one day, as I think it's an extremely pretty city, and probably my favorite just looking at the cities themselves in Ohio.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jbnati27

jbnati27

Quote from: Zeffy on September 15, 2015, 10:21:25 PM
Greetings from the Garden State! I hope to visit Cincinnati one day, as I think it's an extremely pretty city, and probably my favorite just looking at the cities themselves in Ohio.

Thanks! I hope you can visit some day. Not everyone would agree about it being a pretty city, but I personally think it's pretty cool.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.