News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Raised Bed Dump Truck Crashes into Powerline, Traffic Signal

Started by SignGeek101, October 27, 2015, 10:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignGeek101

Brandon

Quote from: SignGeek101 on October 27, 2015, 10:54:00 PM
I really don't know how this stuff happens:

Cartage carriers (the operators of these trucks) are stupid morons for the most part.  I've dealt with them for most of my adult life from a quarry to dump sites to construction sites.

At the quarry, we told them in multiple languages (on a sign at the entry) to never get out of their truck on-site.  Most of them did.  One got killed while I was there for the summer, being buried in aggregate at the back of his truck.  Another jumped into his truck and cut himself on the door frame.

At the various dump and construction sites, it's amazing how they ever passed the Secretary of State's Commercial Drivers License (CDL) exam.  Many of them have no fucking idea how to back a truck up.  They even hit the controls accidentally while yapping on the phone (a big fucking no-no).  I suspect most of them either wore the examiner out or they just outright paid for their CDL (aka a bribe - known as a campaign contribution when George Ryan was SOS).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Pete from Boston

This is not as uncommon as it should be. Four or five years ago, a dump truck operator managed to raise his bed while driving southbound on the New England Thruway in the Bronx, immediately knocking half of a pedestrian overpass off its piers. Thankfully, no one was crossing the overpass at the time.

Brian556

Quote from Brandon:
QuoteCartage carriers (the operators of these trucks) are stupid morons for the most part.  I've dealt with them for most of my adult life from a quarry to dump sites to construction sites.

At the quarry, we told them in multiple languages (on a sign at the entry) to never get out of their truck on-site.  Most of them did.  One got killed while I was there for the summer, being buried in aggregate at the back of his truck.  Another jumped into his truck and cut himself on the door frame.

At the various dump and construction sites, it's amazing how they ever passed the Secretary of State's Commercial Drivers License (CDL) exam.  Many of them have no fucking idea how to back a truck up.  They even hit the controls accidentally while yapping on the phone (a big fucking no-no).  I suspect most of them either wore the examiner out or they just outright paid for their CDL (aka a bribe - known as a campaign contribution when George Ryan was SOS).

I've driven dump trucks before.

Some have said in online comments that accidentally leaving the PTO on can cause the bed to rise. I cannot verify or deny that.
There needs to be an alarm that sounds if the truck exceeds 15 MPH when the PTO is engaged. Sometimes you do need to move forward with the PTO engaged to spread your load when dumping.

You do often need to get out of the truck before or after loading or dumping.
You need to check the tailgate latch before loading. You need to check the load after getting loaded. After dumping, you have to get out to verify that the load completely dumped. Material often sticks to the bed.

I have no idea where you are coming from concerning the "don't get out of the truck" rule. You cannot do your job properly if you stay in the truck.
However, there is a time and place to do it.

And, yes there are some dumbass truck drivers. Since this occupation requires no college education, it attracts lower IQ and irresponsible people. Drug use is somewhat common. I've seen one driver openly drinking a beer at 8 AM on the jobsite.

Backing is incredibly easy. I don't know why so many people have a problem with it.

One of the problems with these jobs is lack of written educational material. New employees can't psychically know everything.

cbeach40

and waterrrrrrr!

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

kkt

AsphaltPlanet

^ This was on the Burlington Skyway of the QEW in Hamilton.  The Toronto-bound lanes of the QEW were shuttered for the August long weekend last year due to this incident.

Ironically the truck was with a metal recycling firm.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

AlexandriaVA

I don't think that dump truck drivers are the brightest guys around...

Brandon

roadman

In the past thirty years, there have been approximately a dozen instances of the 'raised dump body' that have occurred on Massachusetts freeways.  The usual result is that the truck strikes an overhead sign and support, which normally results in severe damage to, or outright destruction of, the signs and support.

Many of these cases involved contractors' drivers that had just dumped a load of asphalt on a paving job and left the site without lowering the dump body.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.