News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2016 March Madness (and conference tournaments)

Started by US 41, March 04, 2016, 01:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win it all this year?

Kansas
4 (20%)
Oklahoma
1 (5%)
Virginia
1 (5%)
North Carolina
2 (10%)
Michigan State
6 (30%)
Villanova
0 (0%)
Kentucky
0 (0%)
Indiana
0 (0%)
Arkanas - Little Rock
1 (5%)
Wichita State
0 (0%)
Xavier
1 (5%)
Duke
0 (0%)
South Carolina
0 (0%)
Maryland
1 (5%)
Other (please specify in comments below)
3 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 41

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 25, 2016, 09:19:03 AM
Wow, Villanova has made it to Elite Eight. US 41 said they wouldn't get past Sweet Sixteen. I wanted Miami to win the tournament, due to the town I had replacing it in my bracket. Anyway, most, if not all, of the brackets went bust already in First Round. I doubt there's any bracket getting it right by now.

It's the first time since 2009 that they got out of the first weekend though. I had a good reason to doubt them. They proved me wrong this year however.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

kendancy66

I believe that i have already clinched first place in the AARoads bracket Older Than Noel.  I already have 113 points and there is no one else with maximum score over 105.  Also if UNC and UVA win tomorrow i will have picked all four entries in final 4.  Most everyone else had Kansas and/or Mich St in final four

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 25, 2016, 09:19:03 AM
Wow, Villanova has made it to Elite Eight. US 41 said they wouldn't get past Sweet Sixteen. I wanted Miami to win the tournament, due to the town I had replacing it in my bracket. Anyway, most, if not all, of the brackets went bust already in First Round. I doubt there's any bracket getting it right by now.

And now has made it to the Final Four! Go Villanova!
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

US 41

It's safe to say my bracket was an absolute disaster. I had Villanova losing to UNC Asheville in the first round and I had Michigan State winning it all. As bad as it was, I did pick the every game in the bottom half of the West bracket completely right. I also got 1 Final 4 team right (Oklahoma).

My bracket last year was kind of better. I had 7 out of the 8, Elite 8 teams right, but I had 0 Final 4 picks correct. This year I had 2 right, but got 1 Final 4 team right.

I still find it funny that people bet money on this. It's really pretty unpredictable.

CNGL-Leudimin

The only predictable thing is (unless a cataclism occurs) a number 1 seed will always get past the First Round. Murray managed to force an overtime as a 16, but eventually lost to Michigan State back in 1990.

Anyway, I had Miami vs Oklahoma and Xavier vs Virginia as semifinals, with Miami vs Xavier as the final and Miami winning it all. Now I want Villanova to win the tournament.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

NWI_Irish96

My 7 year old had Oklahoma, Villanova, Viriginia and Xavier in the Final Four
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kurumi

The NCAA instituted the shot clock after Villanova won the championship in 1985. Moral of the story: if Nova wins, something's wrong with the game :-)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: kurumi on March 27, 2016, 05:32:12 PM
The NCAA instituted the shot clock after Villanova won the championship in 1985. Moral of the story: if Nova wins, something's wrong with the game :-)

And for the first year it was 45 seconds, but was shut off in the last 4 minutes of the game.  The following year, the 3 point line was universally instituted by the NCAA.  So if Nova wins, look for the 3 point line to be moved back to the international distance.  But then again, I wouldn't be surprised if the men follow the women and adopt the 4 quarter format.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

CNGL-Leudimin

So Syracuse is in the Final Four. As a 10 seed! Now that is pupule.

ET21

I'm obviously out now but everyone in my pool had bad brackets except for two people. So technically out of 100+ people, I'm top 25%  :biggrin: :biggrin:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

US 41

The upset that destroyed a ton of brackets (including mine). No one's going to remember that Middle Tennessee State was blown out against Syracuse, but everyone will remember them beating the Spartans. For me anyways this was the highlight of the tournament this year.

jeffandnicole

I missed out on the bracket pool here, but at work I'm the only one with Nova going all the way.  I don't watch college anything, so I was simply picking the hometown favorite (although I didn't pick Temple...one of my few good moves). My pool sucked in the rounds of 64 & 32, but due to the other upsets, I win if Nova wins, regardless of the loser for the title game.

hm insulators

Quote from: US 41 on March 29, 2016, 10:07:23 AM
The upset that destroyed a ton of brackets (including mine). No one's going to remember that Middle Tennessee State was blown out against Syracuse, but everyone will remember them beating the Spartans. For me anyways this was the highlight of the tournament this year.

Did anybody have that one (other than maybe a few Middle Tennessee State fans)?
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

ET21

NIT Final 4 starts at MSG. Local team Valpo has made it
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

US 41

Quote from: ET21 on March 31, 2016, 12:51:03 AM
NIT Final 4 starts at MSG. Local team Valpo has made it

Yep the championship game is tonight at 7 between Valpo and GW. I'll be rooting for Valpo. Ever since the second round of the NCAA I have been paying more attention to the NIT.

In the other tournaments, Colombia won the CIT and Old Dominion won the first ever Vegas 16 tournament. The CBI will go to game 3 (best of 3 championship) tomorrow between Morehead State and Nevada.

Alps

Quote from: hm insulators on March 30, 2016, 05:13:55 PM
Quote from: US 41 on March 29, 2016, 10:07:23 AM

Did anybody have that one (other than maybe a few Middle Tennessee State fans)?
I had them out the following round. Utah ruined me.

CNGL-Leudimin

The Final Four is finally here. I'm rooting for Villanova. Go Wildcats!

hm insulators

Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

CNGL-Leudimin

I correctly predicted the winner: The only team I didn't replace in my mock-up bracket because its name already matched that of a Spanish municipality eventually took the title. However I had them losing to Miami FL in Sweet Sixteen instead. Now I'm switching to baseball.

US 41

My bracket turned out pretty bad. The team I picked to win it all lost in the first round and the team I picked to lose in the first round won it all.   :pan:

CNGL-Leudimin

Which of the 32? Middle Tennessee? :bigass: Now seriously, you said Villanova wouldn't get past Sweet Sixteen and they won their second championship. And you correctly predicted a #15 seed would upset a #2, though not the correct one.

BTW, my mock-up bracket had Ariza vs Rivas-Vaciamadrid and Javier vs Guarroman ('Guarro' is Spanish for 'filthy') as semifinals, Ariza vs Javier as the final and Ariza winning it all, which translated to real teams is what I said in post #55. What actually happened, according to my mock-up bracket, was Villanova vs Rivas-Vaciamadrid and Fisterra vs Malagon in the semifinals, Villanova vs Fisterra as the final and Villanova got the title. You can search in Google Maps for all those towns and villages.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.