The New US-70 Goldsboro NC Bypass: Observations, GPS Outline, And A Few Pics

Started by slorydn1, May 30, 2016, 10:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slorydn1

My wife decided that we should go up to Crabtree Mall up in Raleigh to take a long walk so that means I finally drove the new US-70 Bypass around Goldsboro today, both ways. I love it when a plan comes together!

And yes, it is signed as US-70 BYPASS, at least for now, in any event, to wit:

Westbound US-70 at the beginning of the bypass.

Sorry about the bad picture, it was getting ready to rain pretty hard and my phone has a really bad delay between the time we press the button to take the picture and the time it really takes it. My wife double-tapped it trying to be sure she got it but by the time it actually snapped the second time all we got was the sky, we were under the sign already.

Here is the rough outline of the road as documented by my Garmin GPS:

I had a nice surprise after I crossed the Washington Street intersection (the beginning of the gold line on the map at the east side): a 70 mph sign! I wasn't expecting it there, that section, even though its been a freeway between there and NC-903 for as long as I can remember, has always been 55 mph. I wasn't expecting a 70 mph sign until Exit 370. Speaking of Exit 370, it feels weird to call it an exit-that was the through route just last week, LOL.

I did a little time/distance analysis, too, while I was at it. I have documented all of my trips since 2012 on Garmin Base Camp, so I pulled some data from those trips and compared it to today's trip, just for fun.

I have been through that entire area 12 times since November 2012 (actually more than that but a number of trips either terminated in Goldsboro, or went to I-795 so I didn't make it to the other end of the study area). The distance between the eastern most point on the gold line to the westernmost point on that line using the old route is 22.2 miles (give or take a tenth-the "breadcrumb" didn't always drop at the same point at both ends). Over those 12 trips it has taken me, on average, 22 minutes and 53 seconds to cover the distance, so about 58.1 mph average. The longest it took was 24 minutes and 27 seconds (54.4 mph), and the shortest was 22 minutes and 08 seconds (60.2mph).

The distance between those 2 points via the new bypass route was 23.5 miles (so approximately 1.3 miles longer) and it took me 18 minutes and 34 seconds to cover that distance (75.9 mph). A heavy rain storm came up as I was nearing the west end of the bypass which caused me to have to slow down below 70 a few miles sooner than I would have had to normally.

I guess that means (versus the 12 trip average) the new bypass cut 4 minutes and 19 seconds off of my trips to Raleigh and beyond. On paper, it doesn't seem like much, but the lowered stress level of not having to deal with people just jumping on to 70 right in front of me from those incredibly short entrance ramps on the old freeway through town or that 45 mph speed trap between Elroy and the US-70 Business intersection made it feel like it was 15 minutes quicker.

I have not analysed any of my eastbound data as of yet.

Here are a few more pictures, in no particular order. None of them are really good, but since I haven't seen any others on the net I guess they'll do until one of y'all who actually can shoot a decent picture can get some:

Eastbound "end" sign-sorry about the wiper blade mid picture

Eastern end of the bypass

The mile markers even have the word "BYPASS" on them

Lucky shot by my wife-she was trying to get the "Future Interstate" sign-she didn't realize she got the "Lenior County" sign too!

Beginning of the bypass heading Eastbound
These signs need to be changed. If you follow the signs you will be going the old way through Goldsboro to get to Kinston and New Bern.

These are westbound the previous Exit 355 signs in this post are eastbound.

I really wanted this one to come out better...

I'm not going to waste your time with any of the other pictures, they came out worse than this. I may try again sometime in the next month with a proper camera.

I know that most of these aren't any good, but if you do see any pictures that I ever post that you like and want to use for other posts, (etc) feel free to take them, I'm not anal about things like that.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

froggie

"To La Grange"...?

Don't see why the "To" is necessary there...

slorydn1

Quote from: froggie on May 31, 2016, 08:32:11 AM
"To La Grange"...?

Don't see why the "To" is necessary there...

Agreed. In fact, I'm not sure why La Grange is used as a control for US-70 West at all. For starters, in the first picture, La Grange is behind me, I had already passed through it before getting to this point. Goldsboro (and without the "To") would have been a better option.

In the picture at the eastern end, one would want to continue on US-70 East to get to La Grange, not exit to US-70 West, so this is a real head scratcher for me.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

LM117

La Grange as a control city? WTF?! La Grange shouldn't be used on any of those signs. :banghead: Personally, I would use Goldsboro as the control city for US-70 and use Smithfield and Raleigh as the control cities for US-70 Bypass on the signs at the east split. Those other signs at the western split that have Kinston and New Bern traffic following the old route definitely need to be changed. Hell, NC-44 is still on the sign beside it! The control cities for US-70 Bypass eastbound should say Kinston and New Bern and US-70 eastbound should be Goldsboro. Wilson shouldn't be used at all except at the I-795 interchange, IMO. Most people by now knows I-795 goes to Wilson. "TO I-795" is all that's necessary for Wilson-bound traffic. Shit, no wonder the local businesses, especially Wilber's Barbecue, are pissed about the bypass being built. I can't blame 'em. The signs are taking Goldsboro-bound traffic on the bypass away from Goldsboro and most of it's businesses! Nice job, NCDOT!  :banghead: The bypass was needed and I'm glad it got built, but NCDOT really fucked up on the signs. Were the shoulders widened on the La Grange bypass from Washington Street to the beginning of the Goldsboro Bypass?
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

orulz

Looking at your GPS track as well as the map on Google Maps ... I guess I never realized that the Goldsboro Bypass actually stretches halfway to Kinston. Other than the planned Kinston bypass, there will be only one stoplight between Princeton and New Bern, at Jim Sutton Road. Super 70 indeed.

LGL33L

WashuOtaku

LM117

Quote from: WashuOtaku on May 31, 2016, 11:02:45 AM
Thanks for the pictures.  :spin:

+1.  :nod: Thanks, slorydn1! I'm hoping to get down to Goldsboro (my old stomping grounds) sometime soon and take a cruise on the bypass while I'm there.  :bigass: Those signs though...  :verymad:

slorydn1

Actually, in fairness to NCDOT those signs at the western split were correct until last Friday-they have been there for over a year, ever since the western split opened (I forgot when that was now). Judging from the size of the mounting stakes-vs-the size of the existing signs I am positive those signs are scheduled to be replaced-hopefully sooner rather than later.

LM117

Quote from: slorydn1 on May 31, 2016, 01:50:12 PM
Actually, in fairness to NCDOT those signs at the western split were correct until last Friday-they have been there for over a year, ever since the western split opened (I forgot when that was now). Judging from the size of the mounting stakes-vs-the size of the existing signs I am positive those signs are scheduled to be replaced-hopefully sooner rather than later.

Yeah, I jumped the gun a little regarding the signs on the western end. The western section opened last October. I figured NCDOT would've changed the signs before the final section opened up. Still, I hope they use Goldsboro for US-70 and Kinston and New Bern for US-70 Bypass. The signs on the eastern end on the other hand, are just ass backwards. Goldsboro-bound traffic should be encouraged to use existing US-70, not the bypass.  As far as La Grange goes, whoever drew up those signage plans needs to learn how to read a map. The split is west of La Grange, not east of it.  :pan:

NE2

Maybe they want traffic using 1603 into La Grange. It is shorter than going to 903.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

LM117

Quote from: NE2 on May 31, 2016, 10:18:21 PM
Maybe they want traffic using 1603 into La Grange. It is shorter than going to 903.

If they wanted eastbound traffic on US-70 Bypass headed to La Grange to use 1603 on the western side of La Grange where it intersects US-70, then it would only work here:

But in this next pic, it makes no sense to use La Grange for the US-70 sign because in this case where westbound traffic is coming up on US-70 Bypass, you had already gone past La Grange at that point. Any La Grange-bound traffic coming from points east of La Grange would have either gotten off at 1603 (Washington Street) on the eastern side of La Grange where the old freeway section of US-70 ends or at the NC-903 exit. Goldsboro-bound traffic should be encouraged to use US-70 instead of US-70 Bypass at this point. Goldsboro should be taken off the US-70 Bypass sign and be used as the control city for US-70, without the "TO". Smithfield should take Goldsboro's place on the US-70 Bypass sign. At least Raleigh is in the correct spot.

Tom958

At first view, I assumed that this was the central point of the interchange, but... it's the northbound 795 to westbound 70 ramp over Salem Church Road over the 70 mainline and the southbound to westbound ramp, which isn't on Google!

Mapmikey

Quote from: LM117 on June 01, 2016, 05:35:26 AM

But in this next pic, it makes no sense to use La Grange for the US-70 sign because in this case where westbound traffic is coming up on US-70 Bypass, you had already gone past La Grange at that point. Any La Grange-bound traffic coming from points east of La Grange would have either gotten off at 1603 (Washington Street) on the eastern side of La Grange where the old freeway section of US-70 ends or at the NC-903 exit. Goldsboro-bound traffic should be encouraged to use US-70 instead of US-70 Bypass at this point. Goldsboro should be taken off the US-70 Bypass sign and be used as the control city for US-70, without the "TO". Smithfield should take Goldsboro's place on the US-70 Bypass sign. At least Raleigh is in the correct spot.

This is standard practice out west...the Interstate Business route on the far side of town in whatever direction you are going will have an exit with the BGS usually leaving off the route marker but having the town you just passed as the control city.

North Carolina also does this for US 301 on NB I-95 at Exit 22 which for over 40 years was posted as "Local Traffic" - https://goo.gl/maps/JxKE8fJSzZJ2
But now is signed for Lumberton - https://goo.gl/maps/F39PLi2pnUM2

LM117

Quote from: Tom958 on June 01, 2016, 05:48:39 AM
At first view, I assumed that this was the central point of the interchange, but... it's the northbound 795 to westbound 70 ramp over Salem Church Road over the 70 mainline and the southbound to westbound ramp, which isn't on Google!

Indeed. That ramp has been open since last October and Google never bothered to update their maps. Google even labeled the eastern section of the bypass as NC-44 instead of US-70 Bypass. The central section from I-795 to Wayne Memorial Drive is still labeled NC-44.

LM117

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 01, 2016, 06:26:00 AM

This is standard practice out west...the Interstate Business route on the far side of town in whatever direction you are going will have an exit with the BGS usually leaving off the route marker but having the town you just passed as the control city.

North Carolina also does this for US 301 on NB I-95 at Exit 22 which for over 40 years was posted as "Local Traffic" - https://goo.gl/maps/JxKE8fJSzZJ2

That may be, but it still doesn't make sense in Goldsboro's case. The purpose of the bypass was to separate long distance thru-traffic from Goldsboro-bound traffic. The ways the signs are laid out, it's encouraging all traffic (except for those going to La Grange that have already passed the damn town  :pan: ) to use the bypass. I can't blame the local businesses along US-70 in Goldsboro for being pissed. They have every right to be and US-301 should've been kept "Local Traffic", IMO.

bob7374

Quote from: LM117 on June 01, 2016, 10:05:18 AM

That may be, but it still doesn't make sense in Goldsboro's case. The purpose of the bypass was to separate long distance thru-traffic from Goldsboro-bound traffic. The ways the signs are laid out, it's encouraging all traffic (except for those going to La Grange that have already passed the damn town  :pan: ) to use the bypass. I can't blame the local businesses along US-70 in Goldsboro for being pissed. They have every right to be and US-301 should've been kept "Local Traffic", IMO.
Based on the photos above, it appears NCDOT wants westbound traffic to get on the Bypass and use US 13 to get to Goldsboro, since that's the first exit with the city on it in that direction.

Mapmikey

I had thought they might reinforce that idea by removing US 70 Business and installing US 13 Business to use Berkeley plus a portion of 70 Business, then re-signing the original Bypass as US 70 Business.

But NC is not as gung-ho about that sort of renumbering when a second bypass comes along as its northern neighbor...

LM117

Quote from: bob7374 on June 01, 2016, 11:36:46 AM
Quote from: LM117 on June 01, 2016, 10:05:18 AM

Based on the photos above, it appears NCDOT wants westbound traffic to get on the Bypass and use US 13 to get to Goldsboro, since that's the first exit with the city on it in that direction.

I suppose, but wouldn't US-70 be better equipped to handle traffic going to Goldsboro than US-13?  :hmm: Parts of US-13 between Goldsboro and the bypass interchange are still only 2 lanes. US-13/Berkeley Boulevard is currently being widened only from Royall Avenue to South Drive. When I lived there before I left in 2009, US-13 used to get congested heading southbound towards Goldsboro once you pass Tommys Road and get close to the New Hope Road intersection and downtown, which was already pretty clogged during rush hour. Berkeley Boulevard is one of the most congested roads in Goldsboro. I can't see encouraging traffic (other than those whose destination is off of US-13/Berkeley Boulevard) headed for Goldsboro to use US-13 helping matters any.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 01, 2016, 12:12:02 PM
I had thought they might reinforce that idea by removing US 70 Business and installing US 13 Business to use Berkeley plus a portion of 70 Business, then re-signing the original Bypass as US 70 Business.

But NC is not as gung-ho about that sort of renumbering when a second bypass comes along as its northern neighbor...

Doesn't really make much sense to have a bypass converted to a business route when there is no businesses on it.  Also, we now know US 70 Bypass isn't going to last very long.  :spin:

slorydn1

Not to mention the fact that there already is a US-70 Business that cuts right through the heart of Goldsboro, too.

I guess until I-42 gets designated there we will have the 3 70's of Wayne County to go along with the 3 70's of Johnston County...

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone want to wager which segment of US 70 becomes Interstate 42 first?

LM117

Quote from: slorydn1 on June 01, 2016, 05:40:40 PM
Not to mention the fact that there already is a US-70 Business that cuts right through the heart of Goldsboro, too.

I guess until I-42 gets designated there we will have the 3 70's of Wayne County to go along with the 3 70's of Johnston County...

With any luck, NCDOT will seek to decommission US-70 Bypass once they request and get approval to sign the bypass as I-42. The US-70 Bypass designation is only good as a placeholder for I-42, otherwise it would be a useless concurrency.

LM117

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 01, 2016, 06:16:27 PM
Does anyone want to wager which segment of US 70 becomes Interstate 42 first?

Easy. The Clayton and Goldsboro bypasses. They're the only segments that are currently Interstate standard. I'm almost positive NCDOT will be sending more applications to AASHTO at their next meeting this fall to have those two bypasses signed as I-42.

Thing 342

There are actually 4: Mainline, Alternate through Pine Level, Business through Clayton/Smithfield, Bypass
I'm not entirely sure why US-70 wasn't put onto the bypass and the current mainline made into an extension of US-70-ALT. I'm guessing it was because the bypass doesn't connect to I-95, but that seems like a weird reason to have 4 routes with the same number in a fairly small radius.

slorydn1

Quote from: Thing 342 on June 01, 2016, 07:43:19 PM

There are actually 4: Mainline, Alternate through Pine Level, Business through Clayton/Smithfield, Bypass
I'm not entirely sure why US-70 wasn't put onto the bypass and the current mainline made into an extension of US-70-ALT. I'm guessing it was because the bypass doesn't connect to I-95, but that seems like a weird reason to have 4 routes with the same number in a fairly small radius.

Man, I forgot all about 70-ALT. Old age catchin' up with me I guess.

CanesFan27 did a work up on how this all came to pass here and this is all I know about it, I haven't found anything else on the topic besides Adam's work on it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.