News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Cuomo Signs

Started by machias, October 21, 2016, 12:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Quote from: vdeane on November 02, 2016, 01:05:39 PM
Quote from: storm2k on November 02, 2016, 12:06:46 PM
Quote from: Ian on November 02, 2016, 11:29:55 AM
Quote from: Buffaboy on November 02, 2016, 12:42:58 AM
Don't know if its been mentioned, but I saw the classic set of CuomoSigns™ right before Exit 56 EB on the Thruway.

I guess it's too late now to ask what the hell "Cuomo signs" are without looking like a total idiot, so I'm going to pretend I know what they are and say, "oh interesting!"

No need to feel silly asking. Basically, they are these. The state is spending god knwos how much money to plaster signs like this and this on more or less any road that might cross a border or have out-of-state drivers on it.

Fun fact, these stupid things are even in the NYC Subway system. I've seen one at the 8th St-NYU BMT stop in NoHo. I'm actually surprised these haven't made it into either Penn Station or Grand Central yet.
Technically, the signs are more like this:
[img snipped]

Thanks for the help. I've seen those signs around New York for sure, but didn't know there was a nickname for them. They definitely seem a little excessive.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

GenExpwy

The CuomoSigns™ in the Corning-Elmira are before exit 48 eastbound and before exit 54 westbound on I-86, and at the state line on I-99.

A few other notes:

US 15 has returned to I-99! When the new section opened, the freeway from the state line to Painted Post was designated just I-99, but NYSDOT has taken the old US 15 signs out of storage and put them up again. Also a new paved U-turn has just been added to the newest section, next to the Stowell Road bridges – the carriageways are on different elevations, so the U-turn looks a bit steep.

Northbound I-390 traffic between Wayland and Cohocton has just been returned to its own carriageway, newly rebuilt with Portland cement concrete:clap: :clap: :clap: (I would have given an extra clap, but the shoulders are blacktop)

Odd sequences of half-covered Advance Big Blue Signs for the rest areas on I-86 in Steuben County, near Kanona westbound and Campbell eastbound. The top has TEXT STOP and REST AREA, with the bottom half (or more) covered with black plastic. One sign in each sequence is completely covered. Is this for new TasteNY™ centers? No sign of construction work within the rest areas.

cl94

Probably truck inspection. You know, the sign guy for R6 is a fellow roadgeek, so someone could ask him...

On a different topic, R1 threw up a bunch of APLs in Schenectady as part of the I-890 project. One is non-compliant as it has 2 option lanes.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on November 02, 2016, 05:05:15 PM
The Feds are definitely on our side with this one...

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/politics/blogs/vote-up/2016/11/02/ny-highway-signs-illegal/93173466/

I like how they called the BBS the "motherboard." That has me laughing inside.

On a more serious note, I agree with the FHWA (obviously). It wasn't until I deliberately looked for that "I <3 NY APP" line a few months ago that I realized nobody would be able to take in the contents of a CuomoSigns™ Motherboard doing 65+ MPH. Who wants to get in an accident trying to read this novel of a sign? Also interesting how I've never seen a crew put any of these up. They must do it at like 3 AM on a Sunday morning.

And the font...this is NOT Disney World!
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

empirestate

Mods: possible to split off the Cuomo signs into the existing new thread on the topic?

dgolub

Quote from: empirestate on November 04, 2016, 07:45:19 AM
Mods: possible to split off the Cuomo signs into the existing new thread on the topic?

Yes, it would be good if possible.  It's completely taken over this thread.

jemacedo9

Quote from: GenExpwy on November 03, 2016, 07:20:21 PM
The CuomoSigns™ in the Corning-Elmira are before exit 48 eastbound and before exit 54 westbound on I-86, and at the state line on I-99.

A few other notes:

US 15 has returned to I-99! When the new section opened, the freeway from the state line to Painted Post was designated just I-99, but NYSDOT has taken the old US 15 signs out of storage and put them up again. Also a new paved U-turn has just been added to the newest section, next to the Stowell Road bridges — the carriageways are on different elevations, so the U-turn looks a bit steep.

Northbound I-390 traffic between Wayland and Cohocton has just been returned to its own carriageway, newly rebuilt with Portland cement concrete:clap: :clap: :clap: (I would have given an extra clap, but the shoulders are blacktop)

Odd sequences of half-covered Advance Big Blue Signs for the rest areas on I-86 in Steuben County, near Kanona westbound and Campbell eastbound. The top has TEXT STOP and REST AREA, with the bottom half (or more) covered with black plastic. One sign in each sequence is completely covered. Is this for new TasteNY™ centers? No sign of construction work within the rest areas.

I travel that stretch of 390 - 86 - 15/99 monthly, and I don't recall the US 15 reassurance signs even being taken down.  The overhead BGSs on 86 East approaching 99/15 had a greenout covering US 15 with I-99 for a while, and then a second greenout was placed with both I-99 AND US 15 on it.

The rest areas on 86 that you mentioned were "temporary" truck inspection stops quite often (it seemed like every month on my travels for the past 2 years), so my guess is that they are making those permanent signs instead of putting the temporary signs up every time.

cl94

The US 15 signs never came down except on the BGSes or if they did, it was only for a very short time.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

machias

Quote from: dgolub on November 04, 2016, 08:46:56 AM

Just as the signs have completely taken over the highways of New York.

dgolub

Quote from: upstatenyroads on November 04, 2016, 12:37:03 PM
Quote from: dgolub on November 04, 2016, 08:46:56 AM

Just as the signs have completely taken over the highways of New York.

Hahahaha.

SignBridge

Saw more of them being erected today in Region-10 on the Meadowbrook Pkwy. by the Roosevelt Field Mall. They had a lane closed and traffic was backed up!

cl94

Quote from: SignBridge on November 04, 2016, 08:39:11 PM
Saw more of them being erected today in Region-10 on the Meadowbrook Pkwy. by the Roosevelt Field Mall. They had a lane closed and traffic was backed up!

THERE? That gets no tourist traffic whatsoever.

SignBridge

Well maybe it does. It's a main-route to Jones Beach State Park and there are several modern high-rise hotels right off the parkway in that area and the Nassau Coliseum. But I'm still not in favor of these highly distracting signs especially in a high-frequency accident area like that antiquated stretch of the Meadowbrook Pkwy. built to mid-1950's standards.

vdeane

I wouldn't put it past Cuomo for him to care more about his signs and Taste NY than NY's federal highway funding.  Or to respond to concerns about being able to read the signs at 65 mph with a reduction in the speed limit.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

I wouldn't put anything past King Cuomo II. Micromanager? Check. Pork projects? Check. Honestly, I'm hoping he gets a cabinet position just to get him out of state government. I don't like the Lt. Governor, but I'd take her over Cuomo. Thankfully, stuff like a speed limit reduction would have to get through both chambers and I don't think that would happen given who controls the Senate and the bipartisan support that exists for raising speed limits.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on November 06, 2016, 12:13:33 AM
I wouldn't put it past Cuomo for him to care more about his signs and Taste NY than NY's federal highway funding.  Or to respond to concerns about being able to read the signs at 65 mph with a reduction in the speed limit.
Does TZB gets any federal funding? Putting one pet project at risk to keep the other alive may be more interesting...

D-Dey65

Quote from: storm2k on November 02, 2016, 12:06:46 PM
Fun fact, these stupid things are even in the NYC Subway system. I've seen one at the 8th St-NYU BMT stop in NoHo. I'm actually surprised these haven't made it into either Penn Station or Grand Central yet.
I've mentioned this in the past, but I saw something close at the 167th Street Jerome Avenue El two years ago.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Grand_Concourse_HD_Path_Through_History_@_167th_Street-Jerome.JPG

Buffaboy

What's the point...I was in both NF NY and NF Ontario Sunday for lunch and a get together, Ontario doesn't promote their side and they have a mini-Vegas in Clifton Hill. While the Parkway downgrade will help aesthetically, I've yet to see a reason why I should spend a day over here when given the option to visit the Falls. They're trying I guess, but it's just too dilapidated for most people.

If the Lasalle Expressway connected to NY 425 and were extended west to Rainbow Blvd, we would have a change in fortunes, I'm sure  ;-).
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

cpzilliacus

Quote from: cl94 on November 06, 2016, 12:34:13 AM
I wouldn't put anything past King Cuomo II. Micromanager? Check. Pork projects? Check. Honestly, I'm hoping he gets a cabinet position just to get him out of state government. I don't like the Lt. Governor, but I'd take her over Cuomo. Thankfully, stuff like a speed limit reduction would have to get through both chambers and I don't think that would happen given who controls the Senate and the bipartisan support that exists for raising speed limits.

Depending on the outcome of the election, it would be amusing to see Andrew Cuomo get appointed to be Secretary of USDOT. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cl94

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 08, 2016, 02:41:59 PM
Quote from: cl94 on November 06, 2016, 12:34:13 AM

Depending on the outcome of the election, it would be amusing to see Andrew Cuomo get appointed to be Secretary of USDOT.

I'm betting on Attorney General. At least it would make thousands of state employees happy.

SignBridge

Today's Newsday, Long Island's major newspaper published a big story entitled Conflict Over Roadsigns. The article pretty much told the whole story and specifically stated that the FHWA is waiting for a "plan of corrective action" from NYS and said the penalty could include witholding Federal funds. They did not indicate how much money was involved. State officials said "they have no plans to end the program". Stay tuned.

cl94

Quote from: SignBridge on November 08, 2016, 07:47:32 PM
Today's Newsday, Long Island's major newspaper published a big story entitled Conflict Over Roadsigns. The article pretty much told the whole story and specifically stated that the FHWA is waiting for a "plan of corrective action" from NYSDOT and said the penalty could include witholding Federal funds.
Stay tuned.

About f-ing time

cl94

There's a set on the mainline in both directions between Exits 11 and 12. As if that area wasn't crazy enough was it was.

Jim

I can't remember if they've been mentioned before (not that we can list them all given how many there are) but I experienced the full set of 5 on 155 East leaving the Albany Airport yesterday.  I doubt they were the reason it took me 20 minutes to get through the traffic from the airport exit to the Northway SB ramp, but I'll go ahead and blame them anyway.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Flyer78

AP Story has picked up the story: http://www.syracuse.com/state/index.ssf/2016/11/feds_to_cuomo_i_love_ny_highway_signs_could_cost_1b_in_highway_money.html#incart_river_home

The FHA has threatened to cut nearly $1 billion in federal funding to the state if the signs aren't removed.

State officials have long contended that the signs help promote tourism and provide valuable information about New York's attractions.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.