News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

College football championship 2016/2017...who wins?

Started by cjk374, December 04, 2016, 12:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think will be this year's college football champion?

Alabama
Clemson
Ohio State
Washington

cjk374

Above is the final rankings for this season's college football championship. W/o comes out on top in your opinion?

As much as it hurts me to say it, I don't see anyone listed 2, 3, or 4 capable of beating Bama.

But anything can happen.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

ET21

Top 4:
Alabama
Clemson
Ohio State
Washington

I think it'll be Clemson/Bama again, with Clemson getting revenge.

Side note: Western Michigan deserves a berth in the Cotton Bowl
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Max Rockatansky

Probably Alabama which will be the most boring thing ever.  Really it will be hard to care if Clemson and Washington both lose. 

corco

SMASH THROUGH TO VICTORY, WE'LL CHEER YOU AS YOU GO. OUR HONOR DEFEND SO WE'LL FIGHT 'TIL THE END FOR O-HI-O

Alps

I will be happy to see new winners. Clemson has a decent shot, but I question if the ACC is slightly overrated. Still, this season is dead to me.

texaskdog

So much for Conference Championships meaning so much.  Penn State beat Ohio State AND were conference champions. So one more loss kept them out.  They just need to go with 8, 5 champions and 3 wild cards (Ohio State, Michigan, and Wisconsin would likely have been the 3).  I'm not even going to watch the annual Alabama show.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: texaskdog on December 04, 2016, 09:14:25 PM
So much for Conference Championships meaning so much.  Penn State beat Ohio State AND were conference champions. So one more loss kept them out.  They just need to go with 8, 5 champions and 3 wild cards (Ohio State, Michigan, and Wisconsin would likely have been the 3).  I'm not even going to watch the annual Alabama show.

It would be nice if the major Division 1 Football went to something like five sixteen team conferences and trimmed out the fat down to whatever they call D2 these days like the MAC.  That way there would be one conference winner that gets an automatic bid along with your three at-large wildcard teams like you said. A 10% playoff berth rate is actually pretty sound in scale...at least to me, especially if it puts emphasis on winning your conference. Really it's kind of annoying to hear people even mention Western Michigan in the same breath as any of the top ten teams in the country.

US 41

Here's who would make it in my 4 team playoff.
1) Alabama 2) Western Michigan (undefeated means something to me and if you play in a FBS conference you deserve to get into the CFP at 13-0). 3) Clemson 4) Washington

In everyone's else's world I think it should have been Bama, Clemson, Washington, and Penn State. You have no business being in the CFP if you can't win your conference and besides that Penn State beat Ohio State and won the Big Ten. I don't understand how that doesn't get them into the playoffs.

An additional comment I would like to make is that I think the playoffs should be expanded to at least 16 teams (10 auto bids to each conference, 6 at larges to whoever). I don't see how that would be unreasonable and you can make all the playoff games a "bowl game" like they do with the CFP. I mostly watch FCS (formerly 1AA) football and we have a 24 team playoff and every conference champ gets an auto bid to the tournament and there are like 12 at large spots. I don't know why the FBS can't follow.

As far as who wins it all my prediction is that it will be Bama vs OSU in the championship game and Bama will win it all. I think Washington has the best chance to upset Bama, but I don't think it will happen. Clemson has been extremely lucky this year, so I still haven't really bought into them (almost lost to Troy and a few other teams this year).
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

74/171FAN

Quote from: Alps on December 04, 2016, 08:58:55 PM
I will be happy to see new winners. Clemson has a decent shot, but I question if the ACC is slightly overrated. Still, this season is dead to me.

The ACC may be overrated, but it is definitely not as bad as it used to be.  The Coastal is probably the best it has been since the Conference Championships began in 2005.

Personally, I was just glad that Virginia Tech made the ACC Title Game considering the last few years had been mediocre.

Quote from: US 41 on December 04, 2016, 09:27:53 PM
Clemson has been extremely lucky this year, so I still haven't really bought into them (almost lost to Troy and a few other teams this year).

My final four would have had Penn State take the place of Clemson.  Penn State improved throughout the year while Clemson continued to barely get by. 

Having said that, DeShaun Watson is capable of beating Alabama as long as he does not start throwing INTs.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Tarkus

While I'm certainly tired of seeing Alabama murder everyone, I'm going to be pulling for them in their semifinal.  Really, I'd prefer to see the Milky Way State Meteors win that game, but as an Oregon alum/fan--Huck the Fuskies!

Also, go Cougs!  (I'm also fond of Wazzu and the pirate, and they share our disdain for the loathsome purple canines.)

ET21

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 04, 2016, 09:20:01 PM

It would be nice if the major Division 1 Football went to something like five sixteen team conferences and trimmed out the fat down to whatever they call D2 these days like the MAC. 

The same MAC who busted the Orange Bowl 4 years ago, essentially creating the playoff system to keep that from happening again? WMU got Cotton and Central Mich upset Okla St (who was in the Big 12 title) this year, NIU almost upset #1 OSU at Columbus last year and Toledo upset a favored Arkansas, and the MAC has an above .500 record against the BIG 10 which is better than certain BIG schools in conference play COMBINED (Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers).

I say let's look at another conference, like the SunBelt or C-USA who could use major overhauls. The MAC and Mountain West are pretty decent for mid-major D1 and fill up the bowl season consistently

Clinched:

texaskdog

It would be nice if the major Division 1 Football went to something like five sixteen team conferences and trimmed out the fat down to whatever they call D2 these days like the MAC.  That way there would be one conference winner that gets an automatic bid along with your three at-large wildcard teams like you said. A 10% playoff berth rate is actually pretty sound in scale...at least to me, especially if it puts emphasis on winning your conference. Really it's kind of annoying to hear people even mention Western Michigan in the same breath as any of the top ten teams in the country.

I'd like to see 8 10-team conferences where you play your conferences plus the three teams with matching seeds (East or West).  8 champs plus 8 wild cards get in, which can be seeded (though i'd like to see them avoid conference matchups and rematches until necessary). 

US 41

Quote from: ET21 on December 05, 2016, 12:09:53 AM

It would be nice if the major Division 1 Football went to something like five sixteen team conferences and trimmed out the fat down to whatever they call D2 these days like the MAC. 

The same MAC who busted the Orange Bowl 4 years ago, essentially creating the playoff system to keep that from happening again? WMU got Cotton and Central Mich upset Okla St (who was in the Big 12 title) this year, NIU almost upset #1 OSU at Columbus last year and Toledo upset a favored Arkansas, and the MAC has an above .500 record against the BIG 10 which is better than certain BIG schools in conference play COMBINED (Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers).

I say let's look at another conference, like the SunBelt or C-USA who could use major overhauls. The MAC and Mountain West are pretty decent for mid-major D1 and fill up the bowl season consistently

When someone calls the MAC D2 then anything they say is irrelevant. Let me give you all a D1 Football lesson, because I follow this very closely. There is FBS Football (1A) and there is FCS Football (1AA). They are both D1. D2 is something totally different. At the FBS level you get 85 scholarships and at the FCS level you get 63 scholarships. The MAC is FBS and they get 85 scholarships just like the Big Ten or whoever else is FBS.

Here's a list of all D1 football conferences and their champions this season.
FBS (1A) Conferences

American Athletic= Temple
ACC= Clemson
Big Ten= Penn St
Big 12= Oklahoma
Conference USA= Western Kentucky
MAC= Western Michigan
Mountain West= San Diego State
Pac 12= Washington
SEC= Alabama
Sun Belt= Appalachian State and Arkansas State (tie)

FCS (1AA) Conferences

Big Sky= Eastern Washington and North Dakota (tie)
Big South= Charleston Southern
Colonial= James Madison
Ivy League= Princeton
MEAC= North Carolina Central
Missouri Valley= South Dakota State (Note: North Dakota State is in this conference and the MVFC is ranked as a better conference in football than the MAC, Sun Belt, CUSA, and the Mountain West.)
NEC= St Francis PA
Ohio Valley= Jacksonville State
Patriot League= Lehigh
Pioneer League= San Diego (nonscholarship D1 football-only conference, Note: Butler plays football in this conference)
Southern Conference= The Citadel (Note: When App State beat Michigan this is where App State played football)
Southland= Sam Houston State
SWAC= Grambling State

WhitePoleRD

OSU making it in instead of PSU makes clear that actually playing the games doesn't matter. OSU couldn't beat PSU. PSU won the games they needed to to make it to the B1G Championship and was able to defeat Wiscy.

Side note- what's your over/under on how many bowl games are unnecessary? I counted 22 that could go away entirely and no one would bat an eye.
You take the high road, I'll take the low road and I'll be in Iowa before ye.

US 41

Quote from: WhitePoleRD on December 05, 2016, 02:09:33 PM
OSU making it in instead of PSU makes clear that actually playing the games doesn't matter. OSU couldn't beat PSU. PSU won the games they needed to to make it to the B1G Championship and was able to defeat Wiscy.

Side note- what's your over/under on how many bowl games are unnecessary? I counted 22 that could go away entirely and no one would bat an eye.

The only games anyone will pay attention to are the CFP games and maybe the New Year 6 bowls. All the other ones really don't matter unless your favorite team is playing in one of them.

coatimundi

The Pac 12 was particularly tough this year, so I think that Washington deserves more credit than they're being given. But, of course, that'll just mean that they may have a better chance as their opponent isn't quite ready for it.

I mean, I love to see Alabama lose, but it's going to be them. It's hard to deny their dominance on both sides if you watched one of their games this year. Last week's was just kind of sad. All you can hope for is an injury, illness or arrest.

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

wanderer2575

1) Alabama 2) Western Michigan (undefeated means something to me and if you play in a FBS conference you deserve to get into the CFP at 13-0). 3) Clemson 4) Washington

In everyone's else's world I think it should have been Bama, Clemson, Washington, and Penn State. You have no business being in the CFP if you can't win your conference and besides that Penn State beat Ohio State and won the Big Ten. I don't understand how that doesn't get them into the playoffs.

In case we need a reminder that it's all about the Benjamins:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2016/12/05/cotton-bowl-tickets-western-michigan-wisconsin/94991252/

Since the announcement came down Sunday that the 13-0 (Western Michigan) Broncos are going to face No. 8 Wisconsin in the 2017 Cotton Bowl at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, ticket prices have plunged on the secondary market.

While the official Cotton Bowl Ticketmaster site is still charging $150 per ticket in the nosebleed seats at "Jerry World," you can find similar (or better) seats on, say, StubHub, for as low as $6 apiece.

ET21

Quote from: US 41 on December 05, 2016, 02:05:50 PM

When someone calls the MAC D2 then anything they say is irrelevant. Let me give you all a D1 Football lesson, because I follow this very closely. There is FBS Football (1A) and there is FCS Football (1AA). They are both D1. D2 is something totally different. At the FBS level you get 85 scholarships and at the FCS level you get 63 scholarships. The MAC is FBS and they get 85 scholarships just like the Big Ten or whoever else is FBS.

FBS (1A) Conferences

ACC= Clemson
Big Ten= Penn St
Big 12= Oklahoma
MAC= Western Michigan
Pac 12= Washington
SEC= Alabama

FCS (1AA) Conferences

Colonial= James Madison
Ivy League= Princeton
Missouri Valley= South Dakota State (Note: North Dakota State is in this conference and the MVFC is ranked as a better conference in football than the MAC, Sun Belt, CUSA, and the Mountain West.)
NEC= St Francis PA
Patriot League= Lehigh
Pioneer League= San Diego (nonscholarship D1 football-only conference, Note: Butler plays football in this conference)
Southern Conference= The Citadel (Note: When App State beat Michigan this is where App State played football)
SWAC= Grambling State

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :coffee:

Clinched:

US 41

So I have come up with a 16 team playoff. Here's the basic rules.
1) Each FBS conference gets an automatic bid to the tournament.
2) The top 6 ranked teams in the "College Football Playoff Rankings" that didn't get an auto bid get an at large bid.
3) Seeds are based off of the "CFP Rankings".
4) Higher seed gets home game until the Final 4 where the games are then held at a neutral site.

Auto Bids
American Athletic= #24 Temple
ACC= #2 Clemson
Big Ten= #5 Penn State
Big 12= #7 Oklahoma
CUSA= #NR Western Kentucky
MAC= #15 Western Michigan
MWC= #NR San Diego State
Pac 12= #4 Washington
SEC= #1 Alabama
Sun Belt= #NR Appalachian State

At Large Bids
#3 Ohio State, #6 Michigan, #8 Wisconsin, #9 USC, #10 Colorado, #11 Florida State

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here's the bracket.

#1 Alabama (13-0) vs. #16 Appalachian State (9-3)
#8 Wisconsin (10-3) vs. #9 USC (9-3)

#4 Washington (12-1) vs. #13 Temple (10-3)
#5 Penn State (11-2) vs. #12 Western Michigan (13-0)

#2 Clemson (12-1) vs. #15 Western Kentucky (10-3)
#7 Oklahoma (10-2) vs. #10 Colorado (10-3)

#3 Ohio State (11-1) vs. #14 San Diego State (10-3)
#6 Michigan (10-2) vs. #11 Florida State (9-3)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there's what I've come up with using what I've learned from watching many years of FCS football. I'd much rather watch what I've come up with than a 4 team playoff. The first team left out of my bracket BTW is Oklahoma State, so basically everyone that deserves a spot / chance is getting one. I'm interested into hearing what you all think.

Alps

FBS (1A) Conferences

ACC= Clemson
Big Ten= Penn St
Big 12= Oklahoma
MAC= Western Michigan
Pac 12= Washington
SEC= Alabama

FCS (1AA) Conferences

Colonial= James Madison
Ivy League= Princeton
NEC= St Francis PA
Patriot League= Lehigh
SWAC= Grambling State
I'd argue the Big Sky is also superior to a couple of 1A conferences.

Alps

Quote from: wanderer2575 on December 05, 2016, 05:09:36 PM

In case we need a reminder that it's all about the Benjamins:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/2016/12/05/cotton-bowl-tickets-western-michigan-wisconsin/94991252/

Since the announcement came down Sunday that the 13-0 (Western Michigan) Broncos are going to face No. 8 Wisconsin in the 2017 Cotton Bowl at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, ticket prices have plunged on the secondary market.

While the official Cotton Bowl Ticketmaster site is still charging $150 per ticket in the nosebleed seats at "Jerry World," you can find similar (or better) seats on, say, StubHub, for as low as $6 apiece.

The number of bowls is all about the Benjamins. As long as a bowl is financially viable, it's making money for sports programs, so why kill it?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ET21 on December 05, 2016, 06:27:42 PM

FBS (1A) Conferences

ACC= Clemson
Big Ten= Penn St
Big 12= Oklahoma
MAC= Western Michigan
Pac 12= Washington
SEC= Alabama

FCS (1AA) Conferences

Colonial= James Madison
Ivy League= Princeton
NEC= St Francis PA
Patriot League= Lehigh
SWAC= Grambling State

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :coffee:

Problem they aren't ever going to be given a real shot given they aren't big name schools that draw in the big bucks.  You can go to the NCAA Basketball Tournament and pick out a bunch of lower division winners, at least there they have a chance.  The current scheme of college football is never going to allow something like what the Basketball Tournament does.  There is a huge difference between the draw say a Western Michigan gets versus even teams like Michigan or Michigan State.  Like it or not they just aren't playing on an even level...from the perspective of the NCAA, major conferences, and sponsors.  Blow the whole structures of conferences up and have a committee select 80-96 teams and form a 5-8 conference Division 1.  Each conference champion gets a spot and you can have wildcards to fill in the gaps, at least everyone would have a shot.

coatimundi

Once they introduced the GalleryFurniture.com bowl so that poor UH could have a bowl game and that they could get some suckers locally to watch them lose, it had just obviously gotten really stupid.

Meanwhile:

US 41

Last year there weren't even enough 6 win (bowl eligible) teams to fill all the bowl spots. So there were a couple of (5-7) teams playing in bowl games.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.