News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Welcome signs in New Jersey (and other states)

Started by bzakharin, December 27, 2016, 11:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jwolfer on December 31, 2016, 10:14:09 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 31, 2016, 07:52:31 AM
Quote from: jwolfer on December 28, 2016, 12:49:39 AM
Quote from: _Simon on December 27, 2016, 06:34:11 PM
I remember sometime between 1997 and 1999 NJ started putting the municipal crossing signs on all state maintained roads, before that they had only been adding them to newly designed roads.  Since at least 1994, US-22 had a button copy "entering lopatcong township" at roseberry street,  which was before they switched to "twp of" phrasing.   Nj should also sign counties but they don't because there isn't as big of a demand.  Most police and emergency agencies are either municipal or they have self maintained boundaries.  I personally wouldn't mind a "welcome to bergan county" VMS that changes to a "closed for worship" sign on Sundays.

SM-G930V
It bothers me that they spell it Boro not Borough and Twp not Township.  I dont understand why the dont add county to munincipal signs where appropriate. NJ unlike New England still has county governments and people identify with counties

When i wad a kid I did not like the tags had N. J. Instead of New Jersey spelled out.. Of course my dad being cheap he woyld not spring for new tags...

From what i understand there is still some sncient tags that jave been tranfered since the 1970s with the N. J.

LGMS428

US 9 used to have a sign going SB entering Lakewood from Howell that did also say that you were entering Ocean County as well as Lakewood.  However, since NJDOT four laned all of US 9 in Howell back in the mid 1980's, I think the sign was removed.  In fact with the 1998 redo of all municipal borders on State Highway I am almost sure its gone now.

I did once see on GSV that on Route 35 at the Manasquan River a sign facing sideways did mention the Monmouth- Ocean line just south of the bridge proper with arrows pointing to each county.
I remember the siseways facing sign on route 35. For a long time there was a black and white porcelain one there

LGMS428

It was much like this one at the Gloucester/Camden County line: https://goo.gl/maps/ifmqieN3xt32 .  That GSV should be from 2009.  The few since that are missing the sign.  I wouldn't be surprised if the pole simply rusted and the sign fell.  I'll have to take a walk out there to check that out.

jeffandnicole

To update...I took that walk. The post is still there, but no sign of the sign. There's a small, easily accessible embankment on the other side of the fence. I took a walk around there briefly, and while there was plenty of trash, no sign. 

That said, you get a good view of the US 130 grated overpass from underneath. At some point in its life it used to be a drawbridge which is very clearly seen, but any functionality of that bridge was removed decades ago.

storm2k

There's another porcelain county line sign on 22 at the N. Plainfield/Scotch Plains border along the Green Brook.

And for whoever lamented that the county name is not on town line signs, Bergen County posts their own town limit signs on county (and some local) roads which have the county name on them.

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 31, 2016, 01:28:11 PM
To update...I took that walk. The post is still there, but no sign of the sign. There's a small, easily accessible embankment on the other side of the fence. I took a walk around there briefly, and while there was plenty of trash, no sign. 

That said, you get a good view of the US 130 grated overpass from underneath. At some point in its life it used to be a drawbridge which is very clearly seen, but any functionality of that bridge was removed decades ago.
The one I posted on page 1 from NJ 41 is still there on GSV as of August 2016

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on December 31, 2016, 08:12:14 PM
There's another porcelain county line sign on 22 at the N. Plainfield/Scotch Plains border along the Green Brook.

And for whoever lamented that the county name is not on town line signs, Bergen County posts their own town limit signs on county (and some local) roads which have the county name on them.
Union County, NJ used to have their own ENTERING UNION COUNTY as well as an ENTERING SOMERSET COUNTY sign on Bonnie Brook Road and the unnamed overpass alignment crossing for Park, Diamond Hill, and Bonnie Burn over US 22 for the same waterway back in the late 80's and into after I left NJ in 90.  GSV shows they're all gone now, but it was interesting that Union County signed both their own name and the adjacent county.  Similar set up on Lake Avenue at the Clark/ Woodbridge (Colonia) line several miles away on the other side of the county, that is gone too.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on January 01, 2017, 01:14:15 PM
Quote from: storm2k on December 31, 2016, 08:12:14 PM

Union County, NJ used to have their own ENTERING UNION COUNTY as well as an ENTERING SOMERSET COUNTY sign on Bonnie Brook Road and the unnamed overpass alignment crossing for Park, Diamond Hill, and Bonnie Burn over US 22 for the same waterway back in the late 80's and into after I left NJ in 90.  GSV shows they're all gone now, but it was interesting that Union County signed both their own name and the adjacent county.  Similar set up on Lake Avenue at the Clark/ Woodbridge (Colonia) line several miles away on the other side of the county, that is gone too.

You mean, like this? This is still standing, on Hart St in Rahway. Badly faded, will probably not be replaced when it falls down.

roadman65

No it was more like their old green guides from the mid 80's.  The ones that stood for ages even on State maintained St. George Avenue at both Lake and Inman Avenues that the county erected along NJ 27 it was like only without arrows and partitions.

Union County used their own green color and small signs that you knew you were in Union County when you saw them just like now you know you are in Union because of their own type of signal mast arms.

Sheryl Crowe

bzakharin

Update: I haven't been up there in a while, but just noticed that on both I-287 and the Garden State Parkway they put up "New York State Line" and "New Jersey State Line" signs some time in 2011 or 2012. I wonder who put them up. Is it the Thruway Authority (I believe they own both 287 and GSP on the NY side)? Because they are identical, and they are owned by different agencies on the NJ side. The only other freeway that crosses the land NY/NJ border is the Palisades Parkway and that one has had its own "Entering New Jersey / Entering New York" signs forever. The only other crossing owned by the Thruway, I-90, only has GSV from 2008, so I could not check if something similar was put up there.

PHLBOS

Quote from: bzakharin on January 05, 2017, 10:17:23 AM
Update: I haven't been up there in a while, but just noticed that on both I-287 and the Garden State Parkway they put up "New York State Line" and "New Jersey State Line" signs some time in 2011 or 2012. I wonder who put them up. Is it the Thruway Authority (I believe they own both 287 and GSP on the NY side)? Because they are identical, and they are owned by different agencies on the NJ side.
The signs at the Garden State Parkway are in Clearview so both are likely NYSTA installs.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

storm2k

Update: I haven't been up there in a while, but just noticed that on both I-287 and the Garden State Parkway they put up "New York State Line" and "New Jersey State Line" signs some time in 2011 or 2012. I wonder who put them up. Is it the Thruway Authority (I believe they own both 287 and GSP on the NY side)? Because they are identical, and they are owned by different agencies on the NJ side. The only other freeway that crosses the land NY/NJ border is the Palisades Parkway and that one has had its own "Entering New Jersey / Entering New York" signs forever. The only other crossing owned by the Thruway, I-90, only has GSV from 2008, so I could not check if something similar was put up there.

That's a NYSTA thing, NJTA does not do signing like that at all. They have the big Welcome to NJ sign about a half a mile or so past the state line, but that's it. NYSDOT does it also, I know the Palisades Parkway has signs like that.

jeffandnicole

https://goo.gl/maps/mbGjFcktwxG2

Why doesn't the NJ State Line sign match up with the difference in pavement?  Is the GSP paving New York roadway?  No wonder why our tolls are so high!!!   :D

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 05, 2017, 01:44:50 PM

Why doesn't the NJ State Line sign match up with the difference in pavement?  Is the GSP paving New York roadway?  No wonder why our tolls are so high!!!   :D
The signs are definitely on the "NJ Side". This one [https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1133862,-74.1623492,3a,75y,229.83h,81.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sk-KhnALwmrzA9ldZvpjwYA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656] is even directly on top of an NJ DOT spec "Entering Twp of Mahwah". Which is why NYSTA was not my first guess.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: roadman65 on January 01, 2017, 01:14:15 PM
Union County, NJ used to have their own ENTERING UNION COUNTY as well as an ENTERING SOMERSET COUNTY sign on Bonnie Brook Road and the unnamed overpass alignment crossing for Park, Diamond Hill, and Bonnie Burn over US 22 for the same waterway back in the late 80's and into after I left NJ in 90.

They still exist on that segment of roadway.

https://goo.gl/maps/WGP35FtZtCy
https://goo.gl/maps/pFn267iGWDJ2
https://goo.gl/maps/5jFgvw3rKUE2

Bonnie Burn Rd. and Plainfield Ave. are both in Somerset County at times, yet are maintained by Union County DPW as CR-641.

epzik8

In Maryland, all Interstates and U.S. routes and upper-tier state routes have a large "Maryland Welcomes You - Enjoy Your Visit" sign with the governor's name (currently Larry Hogan) tacked on below. Lower-tier state routes have smaller signs that do not include the governor's name. County-maintained roads do not acknowledge the state line, and the only way for drivers to know when they enter Maryland is when the pavement changes.

All of Maryland's 23 counties and the independent city of Baltimore have their own standardized green welcome signs that state "Welcome to (county name), accompanied by a small image of the county's seal. This same type of sign is used to indicate entry into many of the state's incorporated municipalities. For some unincorporated communities, mostly those with their own post offices, a small green sign simply stating the name of that locality is placed within a certain radius of that locality's center point.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

vdeane

:hmmm:

Not the only other crossing.  There's I-95 (which does have them on both the NY and CT sides) and the other I-90.

Quote from: bzakharin on January 05, 2017, 01:52:37 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 05, 2017, 01:44:50 PM

The signs are definitely on the "NJ Side". This one [https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1133862,-74.1623492,3a,75y,229.83h,81.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sk-KhnALwmrzA9ldZvpjwYA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656] is even directly on top of an NJ DOT spec "Entering Twp of Mahwah". Which is why NYSTA was not my first guess.
Not according to Google Maps...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

Does not the one on I-287 entering NJ have it with the Entering Twp. of Mahwah?  From the photo I saw, which is from some road geek on Flickr, I saw it was a typical NJDOT entering Mahwah sign, with the State Line above it.  So I assume its NJ.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on January 06, 2017, 10:22:40 AM
Does not the one on I-287 entering NJ have it with the Entering Twp. of Mahwah?  From the photo I saw, which is from some road geek on Flickr, I saw it was a typical NJDOT entering Mahwah sign, with the State Line above it.  So I assume its NJ.
It's coupled with the NYSTA-spec'd New Jersey State Line sign.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

CtrlAltDel

This is not exactly what's been asked for, but here is a montage I made of the welcome signs I passed as I traveled through the 48 contiguous states.

As others have mentioned, the signs seem most official on Interstate and US route border crossings, with state routes and regular streets having either local signs or less elaborate state signs.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Alps

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 08, 2017, 01:59:56 AM
This is not exactly what's been asked for, but here is a montage I made of the welcome signs I passed as I traveled through the 48 contiguous states.

As others have mentioned, the signs seem most official on Interstate and US route border crossings, with state routes and regular streets having either local signs or less elaborate state signs.
You, sir, deserve an Internet for that. Challenge: get one for Alaska. (I'm assuming Hawaii just doesn't have it.)

roadman65

Only if the State has one leaving the airport like Missouri does leaving Kansas City's Airport.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

Quote from: Alps on January 08, 2017, 12:08:52 PM
You, sir, deserve an Internet for that. Challenge: get one for Alaska. (I'm assuming Hawaii just doesn't have it.)

Pull up streetview and check, cause that's where some of the images came from :P

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Alps on January 08, 2017, 12:08:52 PM

Hawaii actually has a welcome sign at Honolulu International Airport...
Don't believe me? Just do a little Google search on Hawaii welcome sign...   :nod: :nod: :nod: :colorful: :colorful: :colorful:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hawaii+welcome+sign&espv=2&biw=1242&bih=602&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwipn86dp7PRAhVH_IMKHRkGBX0Q_AUIBigB#imgrc=upS3OrosumoM6M%3A

bzakharin

Quote from: vdeane on January 05, 2017, 09:16:54 PM
:hmmm:

Not the only other crossing.  There's I-95 (which does have them on both the NY and CT sides) and the other I-90.
Oh, yeah. Oops. However, I don't see the same kind of signs at the CT Crossing. All I see is https://www.google.com/maps/@40.994241,-73.6595542,3a,15y,75.5h,74.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4NKuw9KTE7al4sb0qEgMRw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
As for the other I-90, the GSV is from 2012 which may be earlier than when the ones with NJ were put up.

vdeane

They were before one got on the bridge.  Judging by the street view, it looks like both were taken down.  The NY sign (in CT) is only visible in Sept. 2012, and the CT sign (on the NY side) is only visible from Sept. 2012-Dec. 2015.  They were also there when I took photos on 6/30/13.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jwolfer

Florida is in the process of building fancy brand new welcome and see ya signs on the interstates

Artist rendering

LGMS428

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.