News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Which state has the most patrolled highways and freeway and which has the least

Started by Plutonic Panda, January 14, 2017, 05:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plain

Quote from: MASTERNC on January 15, 2017, 09:17:10 PM
I find DE and MD to be lightly patrolled.  PA can be hit or miss (a lot on the Turnpike and in certain localities, otherwise not a lot).

Don't let the lack of police patrolling Deleware's roads fool you. They generally love to hide and stop unsuspecting speeders, particularly on US 13. The road may be wide open for the most part but they're always finding some brush or sign or anything to hide behind, especially in the small towns where the road briefly splits into one-way streets.
Newark born, Richmond bred

slorydn1

South Carolina and Georgia along I-95 get my vote. I'm not sure on how tight they are on how much over they give you, but I can't ever remember a time that I have been through those two states and not seen wolfpacks of 3 or more patrol cars at regular intervals just waiting to pounce. Granted, most of the focus on the 95 corridor is drug interdiction.

North Carolina is hit or miss. NCSHP is usually busy working crashes and the like so they don't have as much time to do speed enforcement (especially on the I-40 and US-70 corridors) as one might think. When they do have the time, they really don't like to mess with anything below 10 over, and they are really looking for 15 over (or 80 in a 70) which becomes a misdemeanor crime rather than an infraction.

Many of the sheriff's departments in my half of the state don't really get into working traffic unless something comes up. To many calls for service and reports to write, not enough time in the shift. The small town PD's, they are a different matter. There isn't much happening in Podunk most days, so the police have plenty of time to write tickets and boy do they ever.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

jemacedo9

Of the northeast states, NY is by far the most patrolled in my experience. I can't think of a time where I didn't see a trooper.

I agree with the PA, NJ and DE statements above.

MD...I think it depends on the road.  I-95 can be hit or miss.  US 301, though, was often good for one trooper every time I've taken that road.

roadfro

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 14, 2017, 12:16:56 PM
Really it depends on where you are, I'll touch on states I've lived in.

Nevada:

-  Nevada has a much larger presence on US Highways than might be expected.  There is plenty of patrols on US 95 between Fallon and Las Vegas, Esmeralda County can be especially aggressive.   There isn't much in the way of beyond normal patrols on Interstates and state highways are virtually non-existent asides from stuff like the Geiger Grade/NV 341 or a Mount Rose/NV 431.

Very true. NHP patrols the rural two-lane US Highways pretty regularly, especially US 95. Some of the county sheriffs get into it as well. I've seen Nye County Sheriffs patrol US 95 in force also.

My only speeding ticket in 17 years of driving was in Esmeralda County by a county sheriff. Granted I was doing 85 in a 70, and I didn't see him...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadfro on January 22, 2017, 04:47:00 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 14, 2017, 12:16:56 PM
Really it depends on where you are, I'll touch on states I've lived in.

Nevada:

-  Nevada has a much larger presence on US Highways than might be expected.  There is plenty of patrols on US 95 between Fallon and Las Vegas, Esmeralda County can be especially aggressive.   There isn't much in the way of beyond normal patrols on Interstates and state highways are virtually non-existent asides from stuff like the Geiger Grade/NV 341 or a Mount Rose/NV 431.

Very true. NHP patrols the rural two-lane US Highways pretty regularly, especially US 95. Some of the county sheriffs get into it as well. I've seen Nye County Sheriffs patrol US 95 in force also.

My only speeding ticket in 17 years of driving was in Esmeralda County by a county sheriff. Granted I was doing 85 in a 70, and I didn't see him...

I got followed last year from Goldfield by Esmeralda County to the Nye County line last year on that whole Death Valley Expedition that I did in the Max's Roads thread on the Pacific Southwest Board.  The big chain-up area seemed like it was the perfect staging point to nail a speeder coming out of Goldfield just a little too fast before the speed limit went back up to 70 MPH.  I was going 73 MPH so really there must have not been much substantial to pull me over on.  I guess it makes sense, there is some meaty tickets to be had on the major two-lane roads and not a lot of taxpayers to pay the bills.

Revive 755

Quote from: Brandon on January 14, 2017, 09:10:51 PM
And then again, you'll see a bunch in Racine County of Racine County Sheriffs Police looking for Illinois plates.

As well as usually either a state trooper or Kenosha County sheriff near either the WI 50 or WI 165 interchanges on I-94.

Based on my travels:

* Illinois would be on the higher end
* Nebraska is usually higher, especially in work zones.  They like to have state troopers in pickups waiting on entrance ramps
* Iowa is usually fairly sparse with troopers on I-80, but there's usually a Council Bluffs or county sheriff near the the start of the reduced speed section going into Council Bluffs
* Missouri is usually slightly more than Iowa, but much less than Illinois.  I-270 though sees somewhat frequent enforcement.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 14, 2017, 10:00:31 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 14, 2017, 09:37:03 PM

Two surprises on my list. I really don't see that many in Virginia despite their gestapo-like laws. Maybe it could be because I don't tempt fate when I drive blindly and without defenses there, but I don't see all that many VSP troopers out patrolling or with cars pulled over.

Virginia's highways are regularly patrolled by state troopers...see lots of folks pulled over on interstates and 4-lane US routes when I am toodling around...

But remember that there are only a little over 2,000 sworn troopers authorized (this in the Virginian-Pilot says 2,080, but that includes vacant positions) in Virginia (and a fair number of those are not normally assigned to road patrol-type duty). 

A Virginia trooper once told me that in the smaller, rural counties of the Commonwealth, there is often one resident trooper, who is effectively on-call at all times when not on patrol or doing other things, like appearing in court, training and the like.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Ian

Fully agree with all that has been said about New York. I drive the Cross County and Hutchinson River Parkways whenever I drive to and from Maine for school, and each time without fail, I always see either the state police or Westchester County patrol cars posted along those roads.

Maine, however, is pretty weak when it comes to their state police presence. The only time I've ever seen those light blue state police cars camping out to catch speeders is on the Maine Turnpike portion of I-95 (mostly between Kittery and Portland), and even then, it's rare. That being said, up here in Orono and Old Town near where UMaine is, the roads are very heavily patrolled by town police, and will nab you for going even 5 over.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

JMAN_WiS&S

Quote from: DaBigE on January 14, 2017, 03:26:16 PM
Quote from: Big John on January 14, 2017, 12:28:57 PM
Wisconsin is heavily enforced. So much that people drive slow in the fast lane.

Please tell me you're joking. They drive slow in the fast lane because of bad driving habits. As for enforcement, unless there is a specially-funded campaign (sobriety, aggressive driving, etc.), or you're in one of the nationally-known speed traps, you can go days without seeing a squad, even in the urban areas.
Partially due to the two lane each way of i94, this happens often in western Wisconsin. Usually only withing viewing distance of a squad, left lane traffic suddenly doesn't want to pass anymore.
Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

epzik8

I'm going to throw Maryland in here. Last week, I think it was the state troopers who performed an enforcement initiative along Harford County's segment of I-95. Its purpose was to enforce the maximum speed of 65 miles per hour. Simultaneously, they did a "move over for emergency vehicles" enforcement initiative.

And yesterday, I went on a drive where I made my way across the Conowingo Dam and through Cecil County, took MD-213 to MD-313 to U.S. 301 to MD-19 back to 313 through the Upper Shore, took the 404 a short distance from 313 to 328 in Denton, then took MD-328 to Easton where I hooked up with U.S. 50 and took that across the Bay Bridge, past Annapolis and then cruised up I-97 to I-695, over the Key Bridge and finally took I-95 back into HarCo. Someone got pulled over on the short segment of the 404 I traveled in Denton, then there was an officer sitting in a parking lot along Route 50 in Easton, and near the Queenstown Outlets, and then there was a guy pulled over approaching the Bay Bridge on Kent Island, someone pulled over just off the Bay Bridge on the Anne Arundel County side, and on I-97 south of Crownsville, and then there was a pair of officers in the median approaching the Key Bridge. 
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

1995hoo

I'll agree with the people who don't think Virginia is that terrible on the enforcement. There are exceptions, of course. Holiday weekends tend to be bad, and naturally that's when many out-of-staters are more likely to be passing through and thus get the impression of strict enforcement. There are also various places where for whatever reason there's usually a cop out (US-29 just north of the Bavarian Chef in Madison County and US-360 around Meherrin are two; the Emporia and Hopewell stretches of I-95 and I-295, respectively, are two others, although usually you can get away with a bit because they'll nab the people exceeding 80 mph). The biggest thing I find in Virginia is that you're not likely to have a problem if you don't do things that make you stand out. That doesn't just mean not being the fastest car on the road. It also means things like not calling attention to yourself by weaving in and out of traffic because you don't like either lane's speed.

I also don't think Maryland is horrible except for a couple of places. I almost always see cops on US-50 between the Bay Bridge and Queenstown. Very easy to get nabbed through there if you aren't careful.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 12, 2017, 09:43:11 AM
I'll agree with the people who don't think Virginia is that terrible on the enforcement.

After last week's foray between Roanoke and Charleston (West Virginia), it seemed Virginia was very serious about catching speeders on a lot of the place where the limit on I-77/I-81 dropped to 60 mph (usually unnecessarily so).

On the primary and secondary routes, I don't get that feeling at all; most of them are two lanes with much less traffic.

1995hoo

You know, I was thinking about this thread while I was out running errands this afternoon and I found myself thinking that no doubt living in a given state and being familiar with the roads and the cops' habits and the like makes a big difference in one's perception of this issue. I find that even if I'm on a Virginia road I don't travel too often, I can often guess with reasonable accuracy where I'm likely to see enforcement. (No doubt it helps that I don't drive nearly as fast as I did when I was in my 20s, too!)

I do know multiple people who have gotten nailed for speeds between 70 and 80 in the 60-mph zone near Roanoke.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

nexus73

Ranking the West Coast states:

1-Washington
2-California
3-Oregon

Washington has a strong presence on I-5.  Not too sure about eastern Washington. 

California having the largest population in the nation obviously has plenty of CHP, county and metro units.  I notice rural NorCal is one where saturation patrols can settle in at times, otherwise it is not as heavy as the more settled areas. 

Oregon sees some patrol on I-5 but since the Coburg PD quit running their speed trap just north of Eugene, the police presence is lighter on I-5 than in Washington or California.  Whereas city PD's and county deputies are often buried in taking calls for service and not all that big on speeding except for a few exceptions like Port Orford, the OSP, despite being an undermanned force, will show no mercy when it comes to handing out tickets.  Eastern Oregon has the lightest presence and most speed of all.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

jbnv

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 14, 2017, 05:10:01 AM
Florida....... wow. I have never in my life seen so many cops on one stretch of road. I went through north Florida on I-10 and Jesus Christ there must have been at least one cop every five miles through the entire stretch of the road from west state line to about 50 miles out from Jacksonville. Absolutely ridiculous. All FHP too. How lenient are they on speeders?

You must have picked the one day they weren't all at Disney World. The last few times I've driven to Orlando, the slowpokes were going 80.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

ColossalBlocks

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 14, 2017, 05:10:01 AM
As for the least patrolled, my money is on Arizona, Alabama, Missouri, Nevada and Utah.

Missouri is hit or miss, usually the county sheriffs from St Francois county, and Jefferson county set up camp with radar guns along a stretch of US 67 in between Bonne Terre, and Festus. They like to hide to...

I-70 is notorious for cops hiding, and mentioned in one of my previous posts that they will pull ya over no matter what. They are like women, anything and everything will piss them off.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

ColossalBlocks

I have experiences with these guys.

Texas: My god, how many State Troopers Poopers do they hire there? I have never seen so many State Trooper cars on I-35 before.

Arizona: They are hiding, always are, behind big green signs, behind fallen trees, behind anything and everything, waiting. for. you.

California: They like to hide also, they also sit near runaway truck ramps to fine people in cars who went up the ramp.

Missouri: Avoid I-70 at all costs.

Illinois: Jesus, they love I-57 too much!

Utah: Nothing. No cops for miles.

Montana: Heh, no cops. More miles per hour.

New York: They are nowhere, accept around Buffalo or NYC.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

realjd

I'm surprised to see Florida on your list. They're few and far between usually - other than the Turnpike. In Florida they can't even ticket you for less than 5 over, and the local Sheriff's office unofficial policy is to ignore up to 85 unless you're otherwise suspicious or driving like an asshole. FHP doesn't usually give you 15 over but they do give you 10.

Monroe County (the Keys) is the exception. FHP and MCSO both heavily patrol, and it's one of the few cases where I'm fine with that. US1 can be flat out dangerous down there. It's gotten better since the blue barrier was installed on the 18 mile stretch, but there's a reason they have those "number of fatalities this year so far" signs on each end. Also people need to slow down through the Key deer NWR on Big Pine.

formulanone

Quote from: realjd on February 14, 2017, 02:41:01 PM
I'm surprised to see Florida on your list. They're few and far between usually - other than the Turnpike. In Florida they can't even ticket you for less than 5 over...

The exception is for school zones, but I can't recall hearing anyone getting nabbed for 16mph in a 15 zone, or 21mph in a 20 zone.

Quoteand the local Sheriff's office unofficial policy is to ignore up to 85 unless you're otherwise suspicious or driving like an asshole. FHP doesn't usually give you 15 over but they do give you 10.

9-10 mph-over or 10% above the posted limit seems to be the norm in Florida. I got one for 8 over the limit in a 25 mph zone by a local cop, but some days, you just shouldn't run late for work. 0-5 over is the safe bet, since all they can do is issue you a warning, if they want to bother.

That said, enforcement varies from county to county. Glades County is notorious for enforcement of US 27. US 301 has its pitfalls. Small towns have their own little klatch set up at the borders. Any place where the limit drops from 55 to 45/35 (especially where there's a hill) is a place for cops to hide. Town-to-town, or in-town speed limits vary from mile to mile, and jump around all over places like US 301 or SR 60. And generally, there's someone there wastefully idling in the median with the glow of parking lights and a radar gun pointed at the lanes of travel.

Obviously, don't drive like a maniac. Swerving from lane to lane constantly, cutting off drivers, running stale red lights, and ignoring legally-crossing pedestrians should be enforced (among other things). But they are heavy on speed traps, probably on the higher side compared to most states. I've always thought that, but it's really borne out by how little most other states set up speed traps, and living elsewhere for a few years. I don't have a problem with police in general - they have places to go and criminals to catch, naturally - but there's the feeling a speed trap isn't designed to do anything other grab cash in a place that's not hurting for tourist dollars.

UCFKnights

Quote from: formulanone on February 14, 2017, 06:14:14 PM
I'm surprised to see Florida on your list. They're few and far between usually - other than the Turnpike. In Florida they can't even ticket you for less than 5 over...

The exception is for school zones, but I can't recall hearing anyone getting nabbed for 16mph in a 15 zone, or 21mph in a 20 zone.

Quoteand the local Sheriff's office unofficial policy is to ignore up to 85 unless you're otherwise suspicious or driving like an asshole. FHP doesn't usually give you 15 over but they do give you 10.

9-10 mph-over or 10% above the posted limit seems to be the norm in Florida. I got one for 8 over the limit in a 25 mph zone by a local cop, but some days, you just shouldn't run late for work. 0-5 over is the safe bet, since all they can do is issue you a warning, if they want to bother.

That said, enforcement varies from county to county. Glades County is notorious for enforcement of US 27. US 301 has its pitfalls. Small towns have their own little klatch set up at the borders. Any place where the limit drops from 55 to 45/35 (especially where there's a hill) is a place for cops to hide. Town-to-town, or in-town speed limits vary from mile to mile, and jump around all over places like US 301 or SR 60. And generally, there's someone there wastefully idling in the median with the glow of parking lights and a radar gun pointed at the lanes of travel.

Obviously, don't drive like a maniac. Swerving from lane to lane constantly, cutting off drivers, running stale red lights, and ignoring legally-crossing pedestrians should be enforced (among other things). But they are heavy on speed traps, probably on the higher side compared to most states. I've always thought that, but it's really borne out by how little most other states set up speed traps, and living elsewhere for a few years. I don't have a problem with police in general - they have places to go and criminals to catch, naturally - but there's the feeling a speed trap isn't designed to do anything other grab cash in a place that's not hurting for tourist dollars.
Florida is usually pretty good about giving a buffer (most cops won't pull you over till 10) and its very area dependant. The worst speed traps in america are located here. Its definitely gotten a lot better with the disbandment of the waldo police department and the related laws that caused that, but there are a good number of small towns still trying to use it as a revenue source, and FHP likes to give their tickets. I know from a few of my cop buddys, there also has been widespread effort from many agencies throughout the state to try to cut back enforcement as people tend to dislike the police more and more (BLM and the like), and making their encounters with them negative over a few mph over a speed limit reinforces that they're against us, not here to protect us. Florida law does have a 4 mph tolerance, so you can't be pulled over for 24 in a 20, you have to be doing 25 to get a ticket (and for most officers, 30)

TravelingBethelite

For Connecticut, you do see State Police out on the freeways every once in a while; however, you see local cops on them far more than State Troopers.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

texaskdog

Buck87

Regarding Ohio, this morning I saw 11 state troopers and 2 local cops on I-75 between Beaverdam and Cincinnati. This was between 9:30 and 11:30.

realjd

Quote from: formulanone on February 14, 2017, 06:14:14 PM

School zones and construction sites are the exemptions IIRC.

Yeah the 85 advice was for freeways signed at 70.

SidS1045

In Massachusetts, I hadn't seen a lot of troopers doing speed enforcement lately...until yesterday.

Going home to the Boston suburbs from Springfield on the Pike yesterday, I counted no fewer than seven troopers doing speed enforcement, apparently with the newer type of radar that shows the specific speed for every car within the radar's beam.  They were pulling out from the right shoulder just as their left-lane quarry was passing their location.  I stayed between 70 and 72 in the middle lane (posted limit is 65) and didn't get bothered, but some in the left lane were doing 80 or more and they all got nabbed.

I was a bit surprised that the troopers were all on the right shoulder in plain view.  The Pike (and many other limited-access roads in MA) have excellent hiding places in the median, in the many places where the median has been paved over and where guard rails and Jersey barriers overlap.  A driver would not see the trooper's car until it was too late, especially if the car doesn't have a light bar on top.

I'll bet the Commonwealth is having a revenue problem...
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.