Highway emergency call boxes.

Started by ColossalBlocks, April 30, 2017, 03:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: kalvado on May 02, 2017, 07:47:53 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 02, 2017, 03:57:37 AM

WSDOT is evidently not done with "emergency telephones". They are replacing the ones inside of the Mount Baker Tunnels with new ones that include noise cancellation and better volume: https://goo.gl/10tZ4D

WSDOT also replaced some of the emergency telephones along the Aurora Bridge (SR-99) with new, lower boxes. The old ones were mounted higher up (see here): https://goo.gl/EFYd9A

I wonder why those locations. I can see a tunnel being a dead zone - but even then there are technologies to cover subway tunnels. Price issue? Cell companies cooperation?
Even less clear issue for the bridge...

I suspect the bridge phones (the Aurora Bridge, not the 90 bridge(s)) are maintained because of the high suicide rate. The tunnels' phones are almost certainly maintained due to the lack of cell coverage. Maybe installing cell coverage in the tunnels was considered too expensive compared to maintaining the emergency phones.

It's possible that, in a worst case scenario, someone's phone could get launched out of their car in a collision, rendering it useless (and making the phone on the wall the next best option). That seems far fetched, but that could be their reasoning (or maybe just in case someone's phone is dead, etc -- I know these emergency phones are cheap to maintain).

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jakeroot on May 03, 2017, 01:13:31 AM

WSDOT is evidently not done with "emergency telephones". They are replacing the ones inside of the Mount Baker Tunnels with new ones that include noise cancellation and better volume: https://goo.gl/10tZ4D

WSDOT also replaced some of the emergency telephones along the Aurora Bridge (SR-99) with new, lower boxes. The old ones were mounted higher up (see here): https://goo.gl/EFYd9A

I wonder why those locations. I can see a tunnel being a dead zone - but even then there are technologies to cover subway tunnels. Price issue? Cell companies cooperation?

I suspect the bridge phones (the Aurora Bridge, not the 90 bridge(s)) are maintained because of the high suicide rate. The tunnels' phones are almost certainly maintained due to the lack of cell coverage. Maybe installing cell coverage in the tunnels was considered too expensive compared to maintaining the emergency phones.

The tunnels in Baltimore (I-95 [1.5 miles, 2.4 km] and I-895 [1.45 miles, 2.3 km]) seem to have decent cell phone coverage (at least on Verizon).  I presume there are cell phone repeaters at one or more points inside each of the tubes.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kalvado

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 05, 2017, 01:28:37 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 03, 2017, 01:13:31 AM

The tunnels in Baltimore (I-95 [1.5 miles, 2.4 km] and I-895 [1.45 miles, 2.3 km]) seem to have decent cell phone coverage (at least on Verizon).  I presume there are cell phone repeaters at one or more points inside each of the tubes.

Actually it is even simplier. You need to run a specialized cable - coaxial with intentional RF leakage - from a cell "tower", and that is pretty much it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaky_feeder
COst of running cable must be noticeable, but not prohibitive...

Brandon

Illinois has some (did have some?) in Metro East.  I remember seeing them along I-55/70.  We have never had them in any other part of the state, including Chicagoland.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

RG407

Quote from: UCFKnights on May 01, 2017, 10:17:40 PM
Quote from: lepidopteran on April 30, 2017, 11:32:58 PM
Florida used to have them on I-75, every half mile for at least the northernmost 70 miles in the state.  They were located on the mile; in fact I think sometimes the mile marker was mounted on the call-box post.  For myself, it was one of those signs that a Florida vacation was coming to an end when you passed the blue sign reading "End Motorist Aid Call Boxes", just before the Georgia border.

These were taken down circa 2014.
I think nearly all of the south florida had them as well when I was growing up there, I think they were removed around a similar time. I think they were pretty widespread throughout all urban areas throughout the state, along with many rural areas (I remember pondering when I was young how they determined where to put them, seemed like very populated areas and very unpopulated areas got them, and the mid-level would not get them)
I believe I-75 north of the Tampa area had call boxes first.  They were later installed along the entire Turnpike.  Eventually there were call boxes on most rural or semi-rural stretches of interstates, but I don't remember them ever being anywhere on I-4.

texaskdog

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 01, 2017, 09:21:12 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on May 01, 2017, 08:55:57 AM
Quote from: Rothman on April 30, 2017, 04:30:07 PM
They have fallen out of favor due to cell phones.  I-91 had a whole string of them north of Springfield, MA, but I believe they have all been removed.

yeah, great idea...and then everyone has a phone a few years later.  another waste of money.

Can you accurately predict what we will have a few years from now?

People were starting to have car phones when they put them in.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: texaskdog on June 13, 2017, 07:20:04 PM
They have fallen out of favor due to cell phones.  I-91 had a whole string of them north of Springfield, MA, but I believe they have all been removed.

yeah, great idea...and then everyone has a phone a few years later.  another waste of money.

Key..."starting to".  They were mostly found in high-end luxury cars.

No one predicted how popular phones would become...and the fact that a car phone is seriously old technology by today's standards.   Remember...we didn't even have the internet back then...and now that's what most phones are used for. 

texaskdog

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 13, 2017, 07:36:11 PM

No one predicted how popular phones would become...and the fact that a car phone is seriously old technology by today's standards.   Remember...we didn't even have the internet back then...and now that's what most phones are used for. 

These days when you see someone on the side of the road they are always on the phone getting help.  The days of pulling over to help our fellow man are gone.

jakeroot

No one predicted how popular phones would become...

I didn't realise this until talking with my father the other day. He got his first cell phone in the late 90s, but he only got one because of mounting pressure from friends and family. His slow adoption was mostly because he enjoyed the freedom of being away from a phone. There was plenty of excuse if you missed a call: you weren't home! Nowadays, you can't miss a call without being belittled.

steviep24

The Irondequoit Bay Bridge on NY 104 has four emergency call boxes, two at each end. I'm surprised NYSDOT hasn't removed them by now.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2106778,-77.538639,3a,15y,102.5h,88.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sf_EqqE25424tacYM6V7HyQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

ZLoth

Now, your car has to have a BlueTooth connection. :)
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

amroad17

^ My wife and I hate that in our car.

These emergency call boxes are going to end up by the wayside like Montgomery Ward or Burger Chef.  Of course, you could always tell the grandkids, "I remember when that if your car broke down, you could walk to this phone in a box along the freeway and call for assistance."  This would be followed with blank stares or puzzled looks from the grandkids.  :D
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

GaryV

Quote from: amroad17 on June 17, 2017, 02:16:30 AM
Of course, you could always tell the grandkids, "I remember when that if your car broke down, you could walk to this phone in a box along the freeway and call for assistance."  This would be followed with blank stares or puzzled looks from the grandkids.  :D

Because they understand neither phone boxes nor walking?   ;-)

jeffandnicole

Much like telling kids about LPs today. Or telling them the only phones were attached to the house. There was no leaving the house with a phone. You arranged to meet up beforehand, and there was no way to tell someone you were running late or a change of plans.

briantroutman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 30, 2017, 11:44:32 PM
The Pennsylvania Turnpike system still has them, though I think they have considered getting rid of them as recently as in  2015.

In October 2015, news outlets across the state reported that the PTC was considering removal of the call boxes, but I haven't seen any updates since then. Construction bulletins as of the current month still list "call boxes out of service"  for some work zones, so that would suggest they're still mostly in operation systemwide.

I don't know how this compares with other states' call box systems, but the PTC call boxes aren't like roadside telephones. On each box are four push buttons for different emergency situations. A light and tone indicate that the call was received, but the call box doesn't allow you to speak to anyone.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

So, if someone does not have cell service, how is a call box going to have any out in a remote area?
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

briantroutman

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on June 17, 2017, 10:51:25 AM
So, if someone does not have cell service, how is a call box going to have any out in a remote area?

Most if not all call box systems predate modern cell phones and don't use the same technology. In the case of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, the callboxes connect wirelessly to a microwave system that's used to transmit various types of road and toll data throughout the Turnpike system.

I noticed this 2015 editorial in the Abington Journal which advocated for the continuation of the PTC call boxes. One specific line caught my eye: The editorial mentioned "...a House bill that would allow the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission to eliminate those emergency call boxes..."  

So apparently, a previous piece of state legislation–drafted outside of PTC purview–required the Commission to install and maintain call boxes, and another piece of legislation would be required to release it from that obligation.

cl94

I-87 has them between Exits 26 and 35 (also the stretch with no 24-hour gas, 64 miles of phones). I have Verizon and only have a couple of dead zones along that stretch, but some other carriers have very spotty service, if anything at all. Rumor is that the phones have never worked, but they may have replaced them with working ones in recent years. The feds basically pushed the APA to start allowing cell towers because there's a nasty accident on the downgrade north of Exit 30 almost every year where response is delayed by lack of cell service. That area is still pretty dead in terms of reception.

New York City also has/had them on all expressways/parkways within city limits.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jakeroot

Quote from: amroad17 on June 17, 2017, 02:16:30 AM
^ My wife and I hate that in our car.

Bluetooth? What's wrong with it?

wriddle082

Was just thinking about call boxes for some reason, found this recent thread, and thought I'd revive it a little...

First time I ever saw call boxes was in Alabama of all places, along I-65 north of Montgomery.  They started just north of the bridge over the Alabama River, and I think they went up to basically the Autauga/Chilton County line.

Other than the ones in FL and CA that have already been mentioned, those are the only ones I've ever laid eyes on.

Pink Jazz

Nowadays call boxes in urban areas seem completely unnecessary since you can expect there will be mobile coverage, except maybe in tunnels.  However, many rural stretches of highway still don't have cell phone coverage, which is why some highways probably still have them.  Here in Arizona we have them mostly on rural stretches of I-19 and US 93, with some isolated installations in remote locations elsewhere in the state.

realjd

Florida's were unique because they were combo mile markers and call boxes.

Like others said, they got rid of them because of cell phones. People just weren't using them anymore.

SFalcon71

The PA turnpike has them, and the Ohio Turnpike has some spread out, but most have been taken out.

RG407

Quote from: briantroutman on June 17, 2017, 10:22:32 AM
I don't know how this compares with other states' call box systems, but the PTC call boxes aren't like roadside telephones. On each box are four push buttons for different emergency situations. A light and tone indicate that the call was received, but the call box doesn't allow you to speak to anyone.

Florida's call boxes were similar, or at least the one I used on I-75 north of Tampa many years ago.  If I remember correctly, it only had three buttons.  I think they were service, police and medical.  I don't remember there being a light or a tone to indicate your call was sent or received.  I guess you just pushed the button and hoped for the best.  My car had stalled, so I pushed the service button, but I was able to get the car started before help arrived.

Pink Jazz

I think I have seen a photo of one of the call boxes on I-19, and it appeared to have a handset.  Not sure if the same is true for the ones on US 93.  Note that the signage for the call boxes on I-19 and US 93 are different; I-19 uses a phone symbol, while US 93 uses the words "CALL BOX".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.