New island formed off North Carolina coast

Started by golden eagle, July 10, 2017, 02:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

Warning: one strong storm and it could be gone.

D-Dey65

Since you mentioned this, I was looking at some Google Street Views of Montauk, because I wanted to find out what parkland the Hilda Lindley House was in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilda_Lindley_House

As it turns out it's in Montauk County Park. Anyway, while I was doing that Google Street View, I saw the formation of an extension of Shagwong Point extending eastward into Block Island Sound.

Desert Man

In a time when we're concerning about sea level rise from melting polar ice caps during global warming or climate change...expect 1000s of new islands to arise from tidal forces around the world soon. It's part of nature, the sea creates (and destroys) islands. Low-lying coastal areas like the Netherlands have a modern protective barrier against the sea, but most: Lower Nile delta in Egypt, Bangladesh, Yellow river delta in China, southern Louisiana and Sacramento-San Joaquin delta in California really needs one.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

jwolfer

Quote from: Desert Man on September 30, 2017, 05:41:08 PM
In a time when we're concerning about sea level rise from melting polar ice caps during global warming or climate change...expect 1000s of new islands to arise from tidal forces around the world soon. It's part of nature, the sea creates (and destroys) islands. Low-lying coastal areas like the Netherlands have a modern protective barrier against the sea, but most: Lower Nile delta in Egypt, Bangladesh, Yellow river delta in China, southern Louisiana and Sacramento-San Joaquin delta in California really needs one.
Left to nature; barrier islands form reform and disappear... even without global warming

Z981

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.