News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Best way to traverse New Jersey?

Started by CapeCodder, August 12, 2017, 09:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeCodder

If I were to cross NJ from east to west with PA as my destination, which route would be best; 80 or 78? I've only seen 78 near KEWR and it seems to have unholy, no , scratch that; heinous traffic. I've heard from other travelers that 80 isn't much better. I kind of want to avoid Philly not only because of the Surekill (thanks to whoever came up with that, it's a hit here) but I've seen Philly traffic, and it seems pretty bad. Having been thru the Philly area on a Greyhound bus really changed my perspective of the area.

jp the roadgeek

If you're coming from the Cape, unless you're going to southeastern quadrant of PA (basically from the Lehigh Valley south and Lancaster east), your best bet is to shoot out on I-84 through CT and NY state to Scranton, and take I-81 either down to the Harrisburg area and pick up I-83 or US 15 as needed.  Otherwise, take I-80 West if you're going to anywhere from Altoona area west.  I only use I-78 (to US 222) for the Lehigh Valley, Reading or Lancaster.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jeffandnicole

Well, where are you coming from and going to? For the most part, anyone taking 80 would have no reason to go 100 miles south to take 76.

Likewise, if I can easily get to 76, I'm not driving 2 hours out of my way just to avoid 30 minutes on the Schuykill Expressway.

Depending on what time you're driving, the stories you've heard can be somewhat true, or greatly exaggerated.

CapeCodder

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 12, 2017, 10:11:26 PM
Well, where are you coming from and going to? For the most part, anyone taking 80 would have no reason to go 100 miles south to take 76.

Likewise, if I can easily get to 76, I'm not driving 2 hours out of my way just to avoid 30 minutes on the Schuykill Expressway.

Depending on what time you're driving, the stories you've heard can be somewhat true, or greatly exaggerated.

I'll be coming from the Cape. I plan to do a "circuit" of Pennsylvania.

Alps

It honestly depends on time of day. You don't want to be on either 80 or 78 during rush hour. 78 tends to be much more direction - you're still OK westbound on a weekday AM or eastbound on a weekday PM. 80 will clog both directions thanks to the business development of north Jersey. On a weekend, they'll both be bad westbound on a nice Saturday or eastbound later on Sunday. But most of the time I don't have an issue with either for my recreational travel - I just leave early and try to avoid returning that way on a Sunday.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.